Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by myglaren »

Actually half a mile from home, Ayton Village centre.
Did pass the Nissan factory, the Vulcan and the ASDA warehouse that my son has just left to work in.
Came back on quiet roads so I could stop without inconveniencing anyone.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 18:55 mini.jpg

Regards Neil

Calling it a Maxi is besmirching the good name of the proper Maxi :evil:

So no, definitely not!

Call it fugly pastiche by all means ;)
myglaren wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:17 Cheated, a little run on the A1 and 1231.
AA010047.JPG
:-D
Steve, that is so cool it's almost zero degrees Kelvin 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:25 Nice. That tripometer looks to be genuinely random, rather than my own calculated and engineered one! What are the chances of a prile of 5's coming up with your flush of deuces!
Regards Neil

Forgot to say that the trip-o-meter was reset on Thursday night when I filled it up.
Would have lasted until yesterday but Sainsburys is so busy Friday and Saturday.
Contradicted by me having to take my daughters wheel off and take it to Sainsburys to re-inflate the flat tyre and finding the filling station practically deserted at 4pm.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 18:55 mini.jpg

Regards Neil

BMW 1 series in mufti!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Antiques Roadtrip (literally on now) screen shots provide my offering of the day....
screenshots Antiques Road Trip
screenshots Antiques Road Trip
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Long time since I have seen this little gem from my youth!
art2
art2
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted this on Facebook...

I've always loved the old Mini pickup and badly wanted one as a kid...

Now I see this - what a great bike carrier :) Combines two of my loves :)
Ribble Cycles via Facebook
Ribble Cycles via Facebook
A great period picture...

No idea of the date, rider or the race. My guess would be a Milk Race in the mid-60s..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

There could be a BSA Starfire and a Vauxhall Victor estate in the background too!

My picture of Locomotive 90000, (formerly 63,000 of course!) shows it travesring the Welwyn Viaduct at Digswell on the East Coast Main Line. Quite a structure loads of arches, bricks fired from clay dug on the site, and Queen Victoria on it's opening refused to go over the viaduct got out the train, and took a horse drawn carriage at ground level and rejoined the train when it had got over the bridge!

One of Hertfordshire's finest.

The viaduct carries the East Coast Main Line, which has to narrow from four tracks to two to cross the viaduct, making it a bottleneck restraining capacity over this strategic transport route.
geograph
geograph
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 18:05 There could be a BSA Starfire and a Vauxhall Victor estate in the background too!
Well spotted Neil :) I totally missed those first time around...

That's a gorgeous viaduct and amazing it's never been widened...

It could have been/still could be widened in the same style as the original to preserve its wonderful looks
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 05:55

That's a gorgeous viaduct and amazing it's never been widened...

It could have been/still could be widened in the same style as the original to preserve its wonderful looks

I think the whole thing only took two years to build, including digging up clay to make the bricks, and moving a million of tons of earth to creaste the embankments at either end through human and horse.

Wonder how long it would take with all our modern technology and great civil engineering companies now....5 years probably if it ever got finished!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 06:35 Wonder how long it would take with all our modern technology and great civil engineering companies now....5 years probably if it ever got finished!

Five years is barely long enough for the planning application, the bellyaching from the NIMBYs and tree-huggers and the erection of 27 miles of safety barriers around the site..

The actual build will be no less than ten!

I'm sure our old Victorian civil engineers are looking down on us with big, sad frowns of sadness and shrugs...

By rights we should be able to extend this viaduct sideways in less time than it took the Victorians with all our high-tech...

The design is done and proved, the ground is prepared so what's the delay.,..

One big problem now is we have no brickworks left. There were loads around this region once and now all gone...

All that's left is a few chimneys and only because they're Grade II listed and even one of the most Iconic at Stweartby is due to come down as it's unsafe :(

More heritage gone...
Geograph.org.uk
Geograph.org.uk
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 08:16
All that's left is a few chimneys and only because they're Grade II listed and even one of the most Iconic at Stewartby is due to come down as it's unsafe :(

More heritage gone...

stewartbychimneys.jpg

Jim I have put a book in the PE Library on the fascinating subject of the Fletton Brick :-D

Now in some parts of the country the old clay pits would fill with water and provide a wildlife sanctuary, but on reading a little about the London Brick Company from wiki, I wonder what horrors were dumped into their clay pits
From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Brick_Company

...During the post war housing boom, Fletton brick sales increased, reaching a peak in 1967. Brick sales then began to decline, and the company diversified. London Brick Landfill was formed, and it began the tipping of household and industrial refuse into the old clay pits in the Marston Vale area. London Brick Landfill was merged into Shanks Group in 1988.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 00:21 Jim I have put a book in the PE Library on the fascinating subject of the Fletton Brick :-D

Great find Neil :)

I'm getting it for reasons I've already said in the PE Library thread... Thanks ever so for searching it out :)
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A few photos of an old brickworks I visited a few years ago.....
Brick mould - Own work
Brick mould - Own work
Brick kilns - Own work
Brick kilns - Own work
Drying sheds - Own work
Drying sheds - Own work

I think the site was earmarked for housing or somesuch.

And all you need to know about the OLDCOTES bricks that that mould would have produced can be found here:
http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/england18.html
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 08:58 I think the site was earmarked for housing or somesuch.

As is Stewartby although planning permission for a waste incinerator has been granted for the site too...

That's caused lots of controversy from the bellyaching NIMBYs :lol:

It seems the landfill site nearby - once a brickpit - hasn't... Perhaps because it generates 'green' electricity from the methane give off by the decaying rubbish...

I'm not sure how green such power is but better than just letting it rot for no good reason I guess...

Maybe the incinerator will do something useful too... Burning rubbish and perhaps recovering the heat seems a good idea to me...

But what do I know...

Speaking of pictures of the day...

This is perhaps the happiest person in the world today ;)
Own Work!
Own Work!
At the end of parkrun this morning and knowing I'll be good to run the Winter Half Marathon tomorrow :D
Jim