I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm surprised it made it on to the trailer before it disintegrated. They were good looking cars though.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think it may have just been a fibreglass mock-up, otherwise it would not have made it that far in the rain.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Poor little Lancia, bullies! [-X :wink:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Must be Lancia week!

Ages since I have seen a Beta Berlina. Heres one in avocado.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Don't worry, as it is raining it will rust to nothing by the time it gets home.
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Damn good cars really, they came to grief when a few of them had the engine drop down because the front sub-frame came away from the floor.

Lancia hadn't built them for UK weather and salt, the front sub-frame rear fixing was bolted to a single skin floor pan which quickly rusted out, a pretty simple repair put that right but the press made a meal of "The engines fall out!"

Another problem they suffered from was headlamp reflectors, they were poorly silvered and soon became mot failures, there were no after market lamps available and the oem ones were an horrendous price.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Gibbo2286 wrote: when a few of them had the engine drop down because the front sub-frame came away from the floor.

Lancia hadn't built them for UK weather and salt, the front sub-frame rear fixing was bolted to a single skin floor pan which quickly rusted out.
You are awarded the "Understatement of the Year" award :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bought and sold a lot of them, it was easy when all the cheap end of the market was flooded with Cortinas and the like, not everybody wanted a bread and butter rep's car, these had a bit more style and apart from the rusty ones they gave good reliable service.

If you want to see rusty stuff take a look back at early post war Ford and Vauxhall models, they too were good cars if they'd only made more effort with rust prevention.

I used to go to the Vauxhall dealers and buy F model Victors from round the back at £40 a go, take them home and fix up the bodywork and sell them for a very healthy profit.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Vauxha ... Y8JMc4M%3A
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, the F Type Victor was a legend in it own (very short) lifetime for rust :lol:

Something to do with cheap Russion steel recycled from old ships that was rusty even before it was turned into cars as I have always understood it..

Same, I believe, as to the root cause of Lancias and Alfasuds in particular rusting so spectacularly - they were rusty straight from the production line!

And remember how Fords rusted right up until recently...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I lived near someone that bought a Beta. Very smart and sounded impressive.
No problems with rust whatsoever, the engine flew to bits long before it had time to rust.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

In truth the Beta was a very lovely car...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Worth bringing a nice image into the body of the kirk.

A Victor "F" from the rear, a nodding dog and some furry dice and that'll be the exhaust poking through the bumper

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the3 picture of the F Type Neil... They were a very pretty little car :D

That bumper exhaust exit was a very neat touch but that was one place I recall it used to rust the bumper badly... I wonder if the corrosive gasses and water from the exhaust caused the rust in the bumper?
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Three more spotted whilst out today:

not sure about the last one - a Lagonda perhaps ?

The little Singer looks to be good for inducing grins :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:Three more spotted whilst out today:

not sure about the last one - a Lagonda perhaps ?

The little Singer looks to be good for inducing grins :-D
The huge chrome backed lamps certainly suggest you are right with a Lagonda. Usually, if you get a decent shot of the reg plate you can just pop it into Autotrader Vehicle Check or something similar and out pops the confirmation from the DVLA public record. The number looks to me like ACC 386 but I have tried this and a few other possibilities and nothing comes out!

The Singer badged imp was known as the Chamois.....here's one in the Tatra Mountains...small surefooted and fast!

As the Singer Gazelle had been in existence for many years, Singer decided to embroider on the theme and called their Imp version Chamois: small, surefooted and fast. Maybe not overly glamourous, but charming and effective, with a startling acceleration.

'Singer' stood for luxury cars and Imps with a Singer badge maintained that traditional image. The interior was really beautiful with polished walnut veneer. Seats were larger and more comfortable than in the Imp. A temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge and heater blower were standard fittings. On the outside they sported a large dummy grille, bumper overriders, anodised aluminium wheel trims and an exclusive range of colours with a stripe down its side.
The one on your photo seems to make a feature of the rear-silencer for some reason!

Another set of great spots!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey