Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by CitroJim »

:D That's far more complicated than it actually is Steve!!!

Still very happy with Debian Linux Mint... It's been as good as gold...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Here is my irregular update for Windows 7. :lol: I play a couple of simulators on this. For anything serious I use Linux. Last night I was downloading a mod for one of these sims when a sign popped up on the screen, "Your computer has been locked, we need your bank details and payment to be made before your files will be released" or some such gibberish. "To continue to payment screen click ok". Here we go again thank you Mr Gates. I started task manager but I couldn't clear all the warnings so I rebooted and, all back to normal :lol: however I did run a scan with Malwarebytes which I consider to be an excellent program. It found nothing so I did a cleanup with CCleaner which just found the usual bits and pieces.

Just to bring everyone up to speed, this is a genuine OS downloaded from the Microsoft website. It does have a few foibles though, if I turn on automatic updates it will crash and burn. I think I have reinstalled it three or four times to date so automatic updates stays firmly off. Also it doesn't like third party antivirus, I have downloaded Antivir, Avast, Bitdefender and one or two others. None will run which I think is probably linked to the lack of updates, I think most av programs want full updates to work so I have the Windows 7 antivirus and firewall switched on and up till last night never had a problem. To be honest there is nothing of importance on this drive so if the worst came to the worst I would just do another install and start again. However for some unexplained reason I started looking for free av programs again. All the usual ones that I'd tried before were there and then I came across a recommendation for one I'd never heard of before, Baidu Security. Lightweight, quick install and setup etc, etc so I downloaded it and set it up, did a quick reboot and first scan which found nothing. Rebooted again to find 99% of my programs and apps wouldn't open, just a Windows error and code. Great! What's caused that? I googled the error and found some users had resolved it using SFC / scannow so I gave it a go, there was one registry error it couldn't resolve. It was now midnight and I'd been fiddling around since 7pm! Where had that gone? :| I lay in bed with my tablet looking for answers :rofl2: until eventually I came to the conclusion that Baidu itself was the problem, for some weird reason it had locked my computer down.

Today I decided to uninstall Baidu but you can't, it won't let you! There is no uninstall option and if you simply right click and select delete it tells you you do not have authority. It wants to stay there and stop you from doing anything at all. The antivirus has become the virus, incredible. I decided to try a restore only to find the restore option disabled and I know for a fact restore was turned on so had Baidu turned it off to protect itself? It's like it had covered all the options. Thank God for Linux! I booted into Peppermint, opened file manager, mounted the Win7 drive and deleted all the offending files and folders. Up yours Baidu! Never sully my computer again. :rofl2: I booted Windows to find everything working as normal, I did another Malwarebytes scan and another CCleaner scan and registry clean. I re-enabled Windows Defender and firewall and have now got to turn restore back on. So if you're looking for a free av think twice about Baidu.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Thanks for the warning. However, something you might want to consider is "Microsoft Security Essentials". This is Microsoft's own free anti-virus program. My cousin Bob (who is a highly competent programmer) uses it, and has found that it does not get in the way, and seems to be effective. You have to search for it from the machine you plan to install it on, and then download the installer program (which will determine which version you will need, managing which version of Windows you have, and the bit width). Just make sure you get the Microsoft MSE, as a Google search will find several options with MSE in their names.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Thanks James I'll have a look.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have a vague recollection of complaints about Bauidu from some other forum, possibly the SDMB.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I too have a belief the inbuilt Windows anti-virus protection is quite adequate... Indeed, it seems to be very unobtrusive, which is more than can be said for a lot of 3rd party affairs - they behave more like a virus than a protection mechanism.

McAfee in particular is so greedy of machine resources...

I remain very happy and content with Debian Linux Mint. It's not put a foot wrong for me so far...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 09:19 I too have a belief the inbuilt Windows anti-virus protection is quite adequate... Indeed, it seems to be very unobtrusive, which is more than can be said for a lot of 3rd party affairs - they behave more like a virus than a protection mechanism.

McAfee in particular is so greedy of machine resources...

I remain very happy and content with Debian Linux Mint. It's not put a foot wrong for me so far...

There was a period a while back when WSE was pretty decent but then they didn't bother with updates and it became fairly irrelevant. Haven't touched it for a long time now.

Agreed on Debian Mint Jim, still using that, Mint Sonya and Ubuntu Zesty Zapus.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Just downloaded the most recent Debian version with a view to sticking it on the server following the incident with the dying hard drive. Was interested to see that it's now available "out of the box" with the same MATE window manager as Mint (essentially a continuation of the older Gnome 2.x line for us stick in the kids who didn't want to switch to the changes in 3.0). Given that was the only real reason for me for jumping over there in the first place, it definitely puts that on the table as a real option for me going forward.

Despite having tried to test out a Windows based solution (in the vain hope it might improve connectivity reliability to the Windows machines on the network), I wasted a whole evening trying to get no less than three versions to install without success. So ended up throwing Linux at it again.

Just need to rebuild my httpd.conf file (which somehow escaped the backup process...it was a horrible mess anyway back from the dim and distant days when I had several sites on there, so probably for the best!) and stick it back in its cupboard and we should be back online. Hopefully get that done today.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Having read a small part of this it just emphasises how far out of my league this subject is. To the point whereby, after five years of faithful service, my laptop has passed away, and looking at the options available to buy another laptop is mind blowing. I have no interest in gaming or any of the other fancy nonsense so a basic machine is for me - and yet I could be here weeks sifting through all the options. Sometimes there really can be too much choice!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Eddie, when CitroJim was asking for advice on buying a Chrome Book for his daughter I gave him some advise that appears to have been useful. What I suggested he do was to get her to sit down and generate three realistic lists. The first list is the "Must have" list, and any laptop you are considering must tick 100% of the boxes on this list to be considered. The second list is the "Really Useful" list, and any laptop that has made it this far must tick 75% of the boxes to proceed. The final list is "Nice to Have", and this is a 50% list.

If you can do this, when you go and speak to a good salesman they should be able to help you make the most suitable choice for your needs (and they will appreciate a customer who knows WHAT they are looking for!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zel, for a dedicated web server I'd be tempted to look at CentOS 7 rather than Debian with a GUI front-end... Unless you want to use the web server as a general-purpose machine...

I've been delighted with CentOS in a server role and have used it for several years now with very pleasing results... I believe the forum is hosted on a CentOS 7 server too...

Yes, I can heartily recommend a ChromeBook if your needs are straightforward and you want something nice and simple and easy to use with least aggro....
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

May well do that Jim at some point. It's running a very basic role though, hosting our pages for but a single small personal website as far as the outside world is concerned. Only other thing it does is tie several drives together into a single network connection for local access to our media collection.

As the machine is in a readily accessible location having a system I know my way around is handy if I need to change anything - though in fairness it has literally been years on a couple of occasions between the times I've had to actually log into it...

Just need to sort out a permissions error I'm running into when the backup process runs, then I'll be bringing it back downstairs and that will hopefully be us up and running again. Hopefully for the next 11 years!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Then for that Zel, CentOS would be perfect :)

If you need some help setting it up, just shout... My own website runs from a CentOS VPS using Apache... Very easy to set up, even to set up SSL on it..

Again. so is doing an NFS for a media server on it...
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Have set it downloading now, and will have a poke around in the interest of curiousity once it arrives.

Edit: Well NAS/media server duties have now been offloaded to a Raspberry Pi. The thought has occurred to me that there's absolutely no reason I can't just throw Apache at that and have it handle the website as well rather than running two machines - especially with the negligible power consumption of the Pi.
Current fleet:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

For those with Android Phones or tablets, particularly if they have fallen outside of the window of manufacturer-supported software updates, take a look at LineageOS 14.1. I have been running the Nougat version on my Samsung Galaxy S5 for about 6 months, and have been impressed with its stability. It is more or less a pure Android user interface that closely tracks the upstream code released by Google. There are (at least for my device) weekly builds, with automatic device updating.

The list of supported devices is at: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
The best support discussion thread is: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy ... d-t3476433 (other devices will have their own support threads).