I am an Activaist-v6 and a 2.1Estateerr

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

chinkostu

Re: shortly to become an Activa owner...Project Stictiva

Post by chinkostu »

You'll be happy to know it took me less time (and an angry local moaning about a footpath full of interior!) To fit the activa interior :)

The V6 Looks like it's going to be a minter worth keeping an eye on, despite the dodgy Ram fix ;) and it not being a flintstones car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

chinkostu wrote: The V6 Looks like it's going to be a minter worth keeping an eye on, despite the dodgy Ram fix ;) and it not being a flintstones car!
It's a real treasure isn't it :-D I love the contrasting bumpers and side strips...

The dodgy ram is easily sortable....
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Thanks for those words guys....muchly

OK....and Update on the Coolant Loss problem that has materialised.

First of....I just knew I had not dumped it....stored in the dirty workshop in the shadows (ready to throw out !)............I HAVE a good Swirl Pot (Degass pot) Phew as ALL of the cooling system is now OFF STOCK at Citroen...START collecting Xantia V6 parts chaps.

So, as above is "as is"...in other words you cannot reach\see anything.

This is what it is actually like under all that tank and pipe work. (fitted to my spare Engine, this unit is good thank god ! )
The French call these De-Gassing Tanks, everybody else calls them Swirl Tanks and Ford Cossies use them in the same way so, not finding one will not take the car off the road.

Looking DOWN as per Pic No1

I took off the Filter Box to get more space. I nice pile of sand in the bottom of the box. So it was a Southern France Car :)

Finding this as I proceeded

I then removed the header tank, Two pipes and a sender (which rotates 90 degrees and clicks to remove). You have to remove the sender and the bottom pipe to be able to wiggle the tank out sideways. DO NOT smash the sender...it is NFP at Citroen.
This is the OLD one on the RIGHT from the Green Goblin and the one in my car on the Left, the old one shows the typical leakage as talked about in other posts.

So...onwards

This is what I now can see...

Now you can see the dampness all around the seam....

I am off now to replace the little sod....and Jim, you do not need to remove the intake manifold, just have scratch free long arms :)
I will also look for other problems/leaks whilst down there AND CLEAN IT !....agggggg I hate dirty engines, you cannot see anything going wrong !

Regarding the source of the leak....I could still be wrong, it could still be a more depressing area that is leaking as well........fingers crossed.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Keep up the good work Sticky it will all be worth it in the end.

Mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sticky, you're finding all the V6 stock faults :twisted:

Indeed you don't need to remove the inlet manifold but it can make the job easier... Sometimes the hose on the rear spigot can be a right sod to remove...
chinkostu

Post by chinkostu »

is it worth dropping the engine and getting everything fixed then refitting? or is it purely a couple of faults that are easy fixes but a bugger to get to?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:Sticky, you're finding all the V6 stock faults :twisted:

Indeed you don't need to remove the inlet manifold but it can make the job easier... Sometimes the hose on the rear spigot can be a right sod to remove...
I just took it off the engine side port and removed the Degass pot with the lower loop pipe still attached. I cannot think removing all the inlet gubbins would be easier or save any time, access is OK considering. if you do not mind making love to the engine. In fact I will be putting it all back together "as is" and getting some sill-con pipes made up at leisure, I will go in again with this method to replace them later along with putting on a alloy Cossie Swirl Tank for long term safety.

Must find an easy way to remove stuck on hoses....they are little bu66ers to move, silly-con at least does not weld itself to alloy :)
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 15 Apr 2015, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

chinkostu wrote:is it worth dropping the engine and getting everything fixed then refitting? or is it purely a couple of faults that are easy fixes but a bugger to get to?
Deffo Not....you could strip down more to get deeper in if needed....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's the stuck-on hoses that's the problem in my experience Sticky.

My method to free them traditionally has been to pull the clip right back and rotate them back and forth on the spigot using a pair of locking pliers...

On the degassing tank you have to be ever so careful not to get too enthusiastic and crush the spigots..... Been there, done that.
Skull
(Donor 2020)

Post by Skull »

Curious here ...bound to be someone else wondering as well so....What does a degassing tank do and is it just the V6 that has it ?

Cheers :oops:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

It "Degass's" or does it Degas' ?...who knows

The Degass Tank (or Swril pot) is a method of removing micro bubbles from the coolant water.
In high performance engines you get very small hot spots that cause these by localised boiling. These micro bubbles tend to stay in the water as the header tank has pressure so can build up air pockets inside the engine and in the radiator top....results in the head gasket going whosh :(

The Degass tank normally has a top-in feed and a bottom out and and spins the water around inside, as it accelerates the micro bubbles are "Degassed" from the water and then vent to the header tank.

Early Ford Serious Error Cossies were really bad for this apparently.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:It "Degass's" or does it Degas' ?...who knows

The Degass Tank (or Swril pot)
They're not the same thing Sticky..

A swirl pot is a "mini fuel tank", it's kept full by a low pressure fuel pump. Ideally the swirl pot would be used to feed your main fuel pump,collect fuel returned from the engine, and it will have a vent off the top to return surplus fuel back to the tank. Don't see them much on standard road cars as they're a high-performance item. They prevent surging and starvation.

Degas tank, as you say, is designed to purge gases out of the cooling system.
Skull
(Donor 2020)

Post by Skull »

Good ... we're all learning ....love the forum =D>
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:It "Degass's" or does it Degas' ?...who knows

The Degass Tank (or Swril pot)
They're not the same thing Sticky..

A swirl pot is a "mini fuel tank", it's kept full by a low pressure fuel pump. Ideally the swirl pot would be used to feed your main fuel pump,collect fuel returned from the engine, and it will have a vent off the top to return surplus fuel back to the tank. Don't see them much on standard road cars as they're a high-performance item. They prevent surging and starvation.

Degas tank, as you say, is designed to purge gases out of the cooling system.
(I think) I disagree Mike....with one aspect, swirl pots were originally used for water, the fuel needs came from being able to keep a head of (bubble free) pressure behind the pump to prevent cavitation.
(above is a Ford fuel swirl btw)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It appears, after doing some googling, we are both right!

I'd never heard of a swirl-pot referred to as a cooling system item, only a fuel system item.

for example;

http://www.obpltd.com/Alloy-Products/Water-Swirl-Pots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.obpltd.com/Alloy-Products/Fuel-Swirl-Pots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;