Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, Sally the white Saxo, Jodie the white Ka (AKA the Dagenham Dustbin), Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Travels & travails with a C15 (& other vehicles)

Post by CitroJim » 14 Feb 2018, 10:53

van ordinaire wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 23:23
I think the ex-Bakerloo stock which, for all I know, is still running on the Isle of White is that vintage.
Yes, amazingly so... Although I believe there are plans to replace them in the no too distant future...

Tube stock is used on the IoW as the loading gauge will not support standard overground stock... IoW trains were always little midget ones...

You're right about that stuff being really well built to have lasted that long!
0x
Jim

Founder and only member of the Ford Ka Preservation Society...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 1989 Saab 900i Auto
1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5
1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 14 Feb 2018, 14:30

The stock which was only recently withdrawn on the District line in London is the only piece of railway to have the dubious honour of having managed to physically throw me out of my seat.

Still always enjoy the slightly odd sensation of several hundred tonnes of train accelerating away from the platform at a seemingly improbable rate on the Northern Line when I'm down there. The torque figures must be ridiculous...
0x
Current fleet:
89 Saab 900i Auto. 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 75 AC Model 70.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, Sally the white Saxo, Jodie the white Ka (AKA the Dagenham Dustbin), Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 14 Feb 2018, 14:49

Zelandeth wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:30
Still always enjoy the slightly odd sensation of several hundred tonnes of train accelerating away from the platform at a seemingly improbable rate on the Northern Line when I'm down there. The torque figures must be ridiculous...

Indeed... There must be a bit to get that lot moving so quickly...

Best for me are the Class 350 'Desiro' EMU sets that run between CMK and Euston - their rate of acceleration from a standing start and their braking performance are just awesome... Top speed is very impressive too.

Done on purpose so that they can mix it with the big boys on the fast lines and not get in their way...
0x
Jim

Founder and only member of the Ford Ka Preservation Society...

van ordinaire
donor 2017
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire » 14 Feb 2018, 22:38

Modern trains are only supposed to last 30 years - although it seems many are replaced after 30 months.

Anyone interested, & clever enough, to access tonight's "Standard" on line might be interested the City Editor's full page spread on why new trains are being replaced almost as soon as they've entered service.
0x
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'96 Jeep Cherokee - the "parts car" :(
'99 Cherokee - the green one [-o<
'97 Cherokee - the red one :?
'98 Cadillac STS 8-[
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o

van ordinaire
donor 2017
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire » 16 Feb 2018, 00:26

Took the C15 on its weekly outing to Lidl's & as going round the block to come back took me past a Sainsbury's petrol station, where diesel was still "only" £1.19 I thought I'd take on fuel. Took 36 litres to fill it, which was a bit disconcerting, as I'm sure it's only done about 10 miles since coming back up from Devon. Looking on the bright side, the fuel guage has reverted to be being remarkably accurate AND it doesn't run out when indicating 1/4 full.
While under decent light on the forecourt I took the opportunity to write up the engine change sticker under the bonnet so, perhaps because of it's oil change only a week earlier, I had the red Cherokee's mileage in mind, it was quite a "wow" moment when I realised next oil change is due at - 180,000 miles!
1x
'98 Cadillac STS 8-[

van ordinaire
donor 2017
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire » 19 Feb 2018, 23:45

Friday evening took the C15 down to Devon for its MoT, there is still some logic in that, although the financial incentive has gone by the board now it won't do the round trip on a tankful of diesel. Took an extraordinaryily long time, for which no blame can be attached to the van, which performed faultlessly AND kept my feet warm, remarkable because I've not had anything for nearly 20 years that would do that AND without the benefit of a heater fan!
The problem started with leaving so much earlier than I'm used to, I thought I could stop for refreshments for the journey, completely failing to consider what traffic would be like then. Lost some time joining the M25 because it's notoriously difficult to jockey for position in traffic in a van in the dark, so couldn't safely get back into the lane I should've been in. There was a 45 minute delay posted on the M3, due to an accident so took off down the A3, with a view to joining the M3 at Guildford; except, I'd forgotten that, without local knowledge, you can't get into G'ford from the A3 &, besides, although there is a G'ford exit on the M3, I don't actually recall the M3 being signposted from G'ford. All complicated by it only being a 1/2-formed plan (indeed, hardly a plan at all) somewhat muddled in my mind with my off M-way route of choice which w ould be G'ford - Winchester (A31), cross M3 & join A303 111 miles from Exeter (i.e. somewhere between the M3 & Stonehenge). Now realise the the trick once on A3, is to ignore G'ford & come off at the Farnham turn - the A31! After that it was a couple of silly missed turns in the dark on a road I'd not used for a while. Soooooh, this much should've been posted on my arrival Friday night but as it was so much later than I'd hoped - & I had an early start in the morning, it got left over.
Saturday morning it was hop in the red Cherokee & head out over the moors for breakfast. Not convinced I had quite enough petrol to get back to Trago Mills in Newton Abbot, so stopped at Morrisons in Totnes where I got in a conversation with a man whose opening gambit was "Bit different from the Jeep I drove in Korea". Apparently, despite being minus something silly, in the winter, they didn't even have side canvas (much less being Norwegian winter spec. equipped). Ended with him offering a straight swop for his Fiesta - & I don't think he was joking. So, on to Princetown - & the Old Police Station Cafe), to return via Trago's for 54 litres ofunle aded, @ £1.16 & my local factors for a couple of items from the Sealey catalogue before their winter sale ends this month. Back "home" (by now down to a T-shirt with the window down) & plenty of time to check the C15's oil level (spot-on!) & the security of all the "boots" change the windscreen wiper (it was an advisory last year - but it takes 1/2-dozen sweeps to get into its stride) & change the brake pedal rubber. Then off to Paignton to leave it for its MoT: the arrangement is for the o/s sill to be welded, if it's a "fail" (but if they can get away with not doing it, they will - 'cos none of them like welding) then it'll be MoT'd on Friday, which means I can collect it on Saturday with a new ticket or, if worst comes to worst, to do repairs for its free re-test. This then should've been Saturday's post - but, I really didn't feel up to it. As a result, lost so much time, Sunday was a mad scramble to be ready to get away in time for my train back up to London.
Took me an hour to finally get internet access via GWR's passenger WiFi, by which time it was too late to do much, especially as the website was playing silly buggers - & the only way I could get it to behave was to visit another forum's site 1st. Had the same performance all over again once back in the house, so it quickly got too late to do anything - if I was to get 4 hours sleep.
0x
'98 Cadillac STS 8-[