C4 Grand Picasso gearbox faulty message FIXED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mejmag
My Cars: Citroen c4 grand picasso

C4 Grand Picasso gearbox faulty message FIXED

Post by Mejmag »

Hi guys, I had the “gearbox faulty” message and it cost me just £44 to fix!!! Here’s how:

I have a 2009 c4 Grand Picasso diesel, with the semi auto gearbox, gear lever on the steering column. I had an intermittent problem, a beep followed by a message saying “gearbox faulty”. When the message appeared, I would shift the gear lever into “A” and sometimes it wasn’t recognised, the screen would still show I was in N, and the car wouldn’t move. Other times the gearbox faulty message would appear and I would be able to shift into “A” then drive off without any problems. The same fault occurred when I shifted into reverse. The fault was very temperamental, but was gradually getting worse.

I reluctantly took it to my local approved Citroen dealer. They plugged it into the computer and said they think it’s the gear lever but they’re not sure. Cost to supply and fit was £520!! I politely declined. Fault codes they printed out for me were:

P1394 Gearbox ECU fault
P1718 Gear lever signal fault.

I found an excellent video on YouTube which explains how to remove and repair the gear lever selector:

I couldn’t see anything wrong with my gear lever selector’s soldered joints, but I decided to buy a second hand one on eBay for £44. Fixed!! The gearbox faulty message has not returned, and I can select gears as normal.

Removing the gear selector is very easy and takes 10 minutes. When you buy a second hand gear lever, be sure that the number on the back of it is identical to the number on the back of your faulty lever.

Good luck guys!!