Howdy from the Hexagone

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Nunthewiser
My Cars: Citroen DS19 boite mechanique (reminisce) but soon another Citroen or other Frenchie

Howdy from the Hexagone

Post by Nunthewiser »

I'm a oldish American who just upsticks and sold everything in the US to retire in France. Not long ago in the US I had a fleet of old bangers, consisting of 3 VW 1.6 IDI diesels, 4 MB W123 and W116 diesels (as well as a Triumph TR4a, Spitfire MKIII, and 2 BMW e34s). I am completely carless (and homeless) now, in France and suffering a great deal of culture shock in many ways.

Anyway, I just got my French license (exchanged from my Florida one) and I am ready to buy a car. Due to the price of fuel here (which is about 2x what we pay in the US), I want a small efficient diesel. I don't really have the tools or space to work on a car now, but I eventually would like something I can wrench on, a bit. The car probably should be post 2011 to comply with clean air laws in France.

I am really struggling with my options. I think I want either a Citroen C3 or Peugeot 208 since they seem to be very efficient and plentiful compared to VW, Opel or any of the Asians, but do their engines hold up? Do I want to stay away from any engines in particular? I'm kinda lost since none of these are available in the US.

Glad I found you lot. I think I'll have a look round and probably find answers, but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I am all ears.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Howdy from the Hexagone

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome and may your French retirement be very good :D

You'll enjoy this forum, it's a very lively and friendly place with lots of high quality banter in the off-topic areas!

I'm sure you'll soon find a nice Citroen to serve your needs and provide lots of fun :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

Welcome to France, Been here 15 years. about 250km from you in the Dordogne.
Good engine in my opinion, 1,6 and 2.0 hdi.. Good reliable and good fuel economy,
Bad ones, 1.2 puretech. or any with the wet cambelt....
But that is just my opinion

Enjoy France
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My daughter went the other way posted to the USA and attached to the Pentagon and NSA, she sells houses now around Chesapeake Bay and lives in Annapolis.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Nunthewiser
My Cars: Citroen DS19 boite mechanique (reminisce) but soon another Citroen or other Frenchie

Post by Nunthewiser »

The USA is a pretty good place to make money if you are young, a good worker, don't have too many kids or health problems.

It's not a great place to retire, at least not early (before Medicare age).

I lived in Florida for 60 years and just got fed up with the incessant heat and endless summer.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve Walsh wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 08:21.
Good engine in my opinion, 1,6 and 2.0 hdi.. Good reliable and good fuel economy,
Yes, I'll definitely second that, especially the 1.6 HDi :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Vic Evans
Donor 2023
My Cars: 1999 Peugeot 806
2014 Citroen C4 Milllenium

Post by Vic Evans »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 16:29
Steve Walsh wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 08:21.
Yes, I'll definitely second that, especially the 1.6 HDi :)
I'll third that.
Got 'em both 2.0 in a 1999 Pug 806 I've owned since 2002 & now on about 250,000km ( 2nd counter) which apart from a clutch & cambelt changes has never had a spanner on the engine.
2014 1.6 C4 bought from new & now on about 120,000km & motor running like a good'un.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'd narrow that down to the 8v 1.6 HDi as the 16v versions can be problematic if not looked after. Disadvantage is htat most (all?) have the Adblue NOx reducing system as well.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Nunthewiser

Post by Nunthewiser »

So, it looks like PSA started using Adblue in 2014- is that correct? If so , I should be looking for a 1.6 from 2011-13 as the most troublefree? France is starting to limit diesels to Crit'air 2 in major cities (those registered 1 Jan 2011 or later).

Of course, with cars of that age you have to be concerned about how long the engine bearings will last...has the timing belt been changed..rings...clutch...

What's wrong with the later 1.5s?

SWMBO is going to be very annoyed that we might not be buying a newer car.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, Adblue around 2014...

Read the Citroen and Peugeot sub-forums on here for all the 'fun' the Adblue SRC system and the particle filters can give us...

Keeps the boredom at bay ;)
Jim

Nunthewiser

Post by Nunthewiser »

"Read the Citroen and Peugeot sub-forums on here for all the 'fun' the Adblue SRC system and the particle filters can give us..."

Yes, I have done a bit of that. Such fun. But is there any evidence that PSA eventually got it right? Such as..by 201x they FIXED it! I don't want to trade one problem (Adblue tank, filter) for two problems (worn out engine) and grumpy SWMBO who has to be seen in a tatty chariot. In FRANCE.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

This is a French company we're speaking of here... Which means that once one problem area is resolved they develop an entirely new one for our continued amusement ;) :lol:
Jim

Nunthewiser

Post by Nunthewiser »

Sifting through Leboncoin I see there is a 2013 Peugeot 308 with a 1.6 e-HDI 115ch with only 94km on it for 9k euros locally. Looks nice - has panoramic glass roof! Is that the 16 valve version? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that... more culture shock.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Nunthewiser wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 07:10SWMBO is going to be very annoyed that we might not be buying a newer car.
You'll have to practise your French gestures. Top of the list is 'Bof' which equates mostly to 'Meh'.

As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Nunthewiser

Post by Nunthewiser »

^^ Merde. Those are going to conflict with the Italian ones I already use (IT dual citizen here).