"Word/Phrase of the Day"

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: "Word/Phrase of the Day"

Post by CitroJim »

I'm wrong after all.. The word I was thinking of has not got a U in it... I'm out... Too late. Brain already fast asleep!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

So a 2 gallon portable one no less? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 18:34 So a 2 gallon portable one no less? :-D
Indeed, a mystery why they used the French! I prefer it to "extinguisher".
-----------

On the news as the word of the year, unimpressed.
RIZZ
I prefer my newly know-how-to-spell Verbiage. Always thought it was verbage but no, Verbage is not a word.

French derivation again...
https://thewordcounter.com/meaning-of-verbiage/

According to Etymonline, the word verbiage has been used since 1721 to refer to an abundance of words. This comes from the c17 French verbiage, meaning wordiness. This word comes from the French verbier, a verb meaning to chatter, from the Old French verbe meaning word. This comes from the Latin verbum meaning word. This could also come from the Middle French verbier meaning to warble, twitter, or prattle (a variant of earlier verboier) and the Old French guerbler meaning to sing in a certain way
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 18:38
On the news as the word of the year, unimpressed.
RIZZ
Given how gregarious I am and how much time I spend around young people I was amazed I'd not heard of this word until I read the news article about it :shock:

I'd not heard of most of the other contenders either... I do like 'Beige Flag' ... Not that I know anyone who could remotely be described as such...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Seen it on the Beeb site but not bothered to see what sort of nonsense it is.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'm bemused !!! As a polar opposite to Jim, with regard to mixing with the younger generation, I have been aware of the word since the spring I think. Listening to Talksport as I do there are a lot of references to the sporting population and social media so I am not surprised that I knew the word. However I am surprised at the number of people I have found that did not know it so it's all a bit bizzaro!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Don't listen to radio Mick, and especially not sport. Nor TV.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 11:15 Don't listen to radio Mick, and especially not sport. Nor TV.
I listen to a lot of radio Steve, mainly our local BBC 3CR and a bit of Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live on Sunday mornings only when the aforementioned go all religious. I only listen to BBC R5L for the Sunday morning Science programme at 6AM and a bit of their early Sunday breakfast show. When they start babbling on about sport I stream music or listen to Magic or Gold if I'm feeling particularly mentally robust... I can only tolerate those for short periods due to their irritating and inane adverts and somewhat limited playlists...

Neither BBC 3CR, BBC R4 or 5L are places where the these new words would be used...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I only listen to radio in the car usually classic FM, but the radio has been pretty scratchy the last few times, today on arriving home I unplugged the dash cam and suddenly the radio is as clear as s bell. :o
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 20:36I unplugged the dash cam and suddenly the radio is as clear as s bell. :o
Not surprising really, so much electronic stuff these days generate enormous amounts of RF (Radio Frequency) interference and in many places make radio, especially on the Medium and Long Wavebands, almost impossible to listen to. And, as you've found, FM too in some cases..

It's all a pretty disgraceful state of affairs and due in part to poor design and being built down to a price by our friends in the Far East who don't give a damm about EMC rules (ElectroMagnetic Compatibility).

If you listen to Classic FM on an old DAB radio you may find it disappears soon as they're moving to DAB+ and many older DAB radios don't support this mode.

More WEEE waste :twisted:

It's crazy that I have old 60 and 70 year old radios that can still receive stations perfectly well and yet more modern ones are now destined for the bin, obsolete and unusable.

On a related topic, don't expect BBC transmissions on Medium and Long Wave to last much longer.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 15:20 Neither BBC 3CR, BBC R4 or 5L are places where the these new words would be used...
Love the round with the alternative definitions for words on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".
The Uxbridge English Dictionary is has been going for 23 years of alternative meanings to everyday words.

Toujours très amusant :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 18:54
CitroJim wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 15:20 Neither BBC 3CR, BBC R4 or 5L are places where the these new words would be used...
Love the round with the alternative definitions for words on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".
The Uxbridge English Dictionary is has been going for 23 years of alternative meanings to everyday words.

Toujours très amusant :-D

Neil
Undoubtedly my most favourite all-time show on Radio 4... It never fails to make me giggle :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

LJO

Seven Letter word required. Only one answer, those letters in sequence somewhere in the word.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Are you trying to spoil my fun you ****** :-D
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 12:17 LJO
Seven Letter word required. Only one answer, those letters in sequence somewhere in the word.
mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 12:22 Are you trying to spoil my fun you ******* :-D
One asterisk missing! but I get your drift.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey