RIP xantia

Buy & Sell French cars, second hand spares or French Car related items.
Threads not updated for 200 days will automatically be removed.

Moderator: RichardW

Forum rules
Please do not include personal contact details (addresses or phone numbers) in your posts or they will be removed. Please use the Private Messaging system to ask for or to provide this information.
Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

RIP xantia

Post by Frenchy »

My son was involved in a no fault horrific accident on Wednesday evening in his xantia which will be a total write off. The engine moved and the battery was lying in the road, difficult to tell from the front what make the car was.

Thankfully his 28 year old airbag deployed and the seat belt pretensioner held, so apart from bruising and aches and pains he is absoloutely fine. This is the second time a Xantia has saved his life.

However on to brighter things, he would love to replace his car but a really good one is so hard to find. There are one or two out there but cills have been welded and checking old mot history there have been years of advisories on chassis rust.

So if anybody knows of something fairly decent out there please could you let me know.

There is also a petrol exclusive 16v, what is fuel consumption and performance like compared to his 1.9 td?
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Re: RIP xantia

Post by MattBLancs »

Glad to hear the car protected your son well in what sounds a significant challenge, sad the car is gone but the better out come. Glad to hear the airbag worked too - they used to say "change at 10 years" then PSA were fairly ahead of the competition as said "change at 15 years" more recent testing has updated advice to "it'll last life of the car" but obviously that depends on who's defined the car's expected lifespan! 28 years is good going I'd say.

No direct experience, but later EW10J4 2.0, 5 speed manual, in possibly more slippery shape 406 Coupe gives me mid to high thirties MPG. Stick to speed limits but don't dawdle either! Would expect similar for Xantia, think PSA claimed 10% fuel economy improvement for the EW10 over earlier XU engines.

I'm not sure what to make on "corrosion to chassis" minor advisory MOT notes anymore, very much interpretation / grumpiness / arse covering of the tester!
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Good to hear he's OK .... might this ease the loss of his Xantia :?:

Certainly sounds reasonable viewing the MoT history for the price....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256159003425
Ebay
Ebay
EDIT
SOLD 7 minutes later :shock:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Frenchy
My Cars: Xantia
BX
Peugeot 406 (Now baked bean tins)
Supra's
Audi's
protons

Post by Frenchy »

Yes, I saw that earlier but wasn't too sure about the mot history, there had been repairs and you always wonder to what standard.

I am watching another one and two peugeot 406's
My Cars: Xantia 1.9 n/a Diesel

Post by 1080 »

I have an early Xantia 1.9 diesel. Green genuine 50k miles from new. I bought it with 38k miles. Rear wing corner is quite badly dented owing to a clown leaving the handbrake off in his car which rolled into the Xantia.
No structural damage and tailgate and everything in the area is untouched.
Starts runs and drives. No rot or welding. Underside is excellent. I'm unsure if I want to sell it, but will have a think over the weekend.
It's a 1993 XUD Diesel non turbo engine. The car does not have the usual problems of front door hinge support which are in excellent as new condition. No cracks or rot I will have a think and get back Sunday evening. I'm a semi retired ex. Citroen mechanic since early 1980s. Car has had four oil and filter changes in my ownership. Engine and box are as new.
Rear wing will straighten,
Last edited by 1080 on 10 Nov 2023, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
My Cars: Xantia 1.9 n/a Diesel

Post by 1080 »

I'm 1 mile off J13 M65 Burnley.