Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Re: Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

Post by Rp0thejester »

https://www.carandclassic.com/magazine/ ... t-profile/ oddly I think this is the model seen in Portugal.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just reading Neil's post about church towers/clocks, postman arrived, delivered a begging letter from some lot calling themselves 'The Church Trust.'
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

On this very day, when Mick reported his activity on POTD thus
mickthemaverick wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 16:32 old cucumber growing glasshouse!! picture of the glasshouse bay when we were almost finished, it had been lined down the full length on both sides when we started!!
Today 13th September 2023 is day chosen by the former Sage Gateshead, to officially launch its change of name to

The Glasshouse
Newcastle Evening Chronicle
Sage Gateshead to be renamed The Glasshouse after more than 100 suggestions from the public

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... r-27701833
I even gave The Sage a namecheck just the other day as Wendy Smith of Prefab Sprout fame is/was a Director there.

My friend Mark takes some excellent pics of Cityscapes, far better than anything in the Chronicle, this is the iconic building we are taking about
MK own work
MK own work
MK own work
MK own work
MK own work
MK own work
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I can confirm that the word "glasshouse" in the entire history of the French Car Forum has only been mentioned 2 times in posts before today 13th September 2023, one from 2005 and one from 2012 both from the same member "andmicit".

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I am disappointed, what was wrong with "The Sage", or as Patti Smith dubbed it when she was there "The Glass Peanut".
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 17:09 I can confirm that the word "glasshouse" in the entire history of the French Car Forum has only been mentioned 2 times in posts before today 13th September 2023, one from 2005 and one from 2012 both from the same member "andmicit".

Neil
In the military if you were sent to the glasshouse you were off to jail.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 17:09both from the same member "andmicit".
Ahh! I remember him well. Wonder whatever happened to him? He disappeared after a bit of personal bother never to be heard from again...

I do hope he's OK. Back in the day he owned 100 or so Citroens...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Andrew helped me out on a few of my threads as a novice to Xantias when I first joined the forum. May 2015 and in amongst his thread here, gauging interest on disposing of his collection...

viewtopic.php?p=447645#p447645

....Mike mentioned this
xantia_v6 wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:21 For a piece of trivia, it was Andrew that designed the banner with the French flag and marque logos at the top of the pages of this forum.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

A spooky this morning: There was I watching an old episode of The Saint, Escape Route, on ITV4 when up pops a character called Ann played by a young actress I recognised and after a moment remembered her name Jean Marsh! That got me thinking , Where do I know her from? Errrrrr... Got it Upstairs Downstairs , what was her character name in that Errrrr .... no can't think......then "ding" up pops Neil's post on POTD ......aah yes!! That was it - Rose!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

A random chance meeting in Wark...with unlikely co-incidence connections.

Not knowing where Wark's former station was I asked a lady walking her dogs if she knew where it was. She was very helpful and pointed it out some distance from the village up a hill. In the course of the conversation the Signal box and station further down the line at Wall got a mention.

As it turned out this lady was the wife of a GP who was a partner in a practice at Hexham, the former head of which did the redevelopment at Wall Station, and she recounted the "interview" process when her husband first joined the practice taking place in the Carriage at Wall Station.

Article on The Station at Wall and DR Peter Willis responsible for its reconstruction

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/lo ... et-1470908

From "One for the Train Buffs"
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 18:22 An Unexpected Signal Box and one you can stay at...
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Magic!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

This one...pretty much in the familiarity phenomenon category, but the random prelude to the incident would also class it as an unlikely co-incidence.

1. Although stopping at this spot many times, I had never investigated the little wooden cabin which houses the information centre and a small but nice "snack bar" (coffee&cake, breakfasts and bacon sandwiches!)...until yesterday.
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
2. The focus of a recent trivia quest led from the elusive "Mallard Green" supposedly Citroen paint code KRK, (following a mention of "The Mallard" Locomotive on POTD), to its proper Translation from the French "Vert Libellule" as Dragonfly Green.
KRK Vert Libellule literal translation Dragonfly Green Many photos in Rodrigo's album on the car here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rkfotos/a ... 8832748094

ImageKRK Vert Libellule Macre Met 1998 Citroën Xantia II SX 2.0 16v by Rodrigo Kurmen Figueroa, on Flickr
3. What was on the wall of the cabin immediately as you entered the door. A Poster which I had never seen or noticed ever.
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Falcon Original<br />Green Dragonfly
Falcon Original
Green Dragonfly
What are the chances of that happening :?:

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and there's more

looking to identify this bird swimming around and diving in the Royal Quays Marina from a not very good picture, most likely a guillemot I thought, but they do have a bit of variation, and I think this was a young one...
DSC04946.JPG
Bit of zoomage and it has a distinctive stripe behind its eye. Sure enough up came an image from the Oslo Birder (http://oslobirder.blogspot.com/2012/09/ ... emots.html) which confirmed my view on an image list with the simple search of Guillemot.

So where is the unlikely co-incidence. The only picture on the entire world wide web of and with the caption reading...."Guillemot chasing dragonfly. Food item or curiosity :?:"

and here it is

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's magical Neil :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Another minor occurrence, but well and truly word of the day this Saturday.

Appearance number one... and it was in code
myglaren wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 10:14
Gibbo2286 wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 09:39 I half expected someone to say 'What the hell's a giggle pin', I know but does anyone else?
I expect you thought that we were ???mmo???
Appearance number 2.
On our way up The Scottish Borders later the same day, in the context of a conversation about the normally very vocal Angela Scanlon on Strictly come dancing who appeared a little lost for words on the show last week, the phrase "She seemed a bit Flummoxed" was the reply.

Two Flummoxed s in one day what are the chances of that happening...

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey