Grand Picasso parking brake wiring fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Grand Picasso parking brake wiring fault.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Or the wiring to it from either the ABS / ESP ECU
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current temporary 2008 Citroen C4 picasso 1.6 hdi whilst the 2015 Grand picasso continues to have electrical problems..

Citroen Grand Picasso blue hdi 2015
Citroen C4 Grand picasso hdi 2012
Citroen Xsara picasso 1.6 hdi 2005
Citroen Xsara picasso 2.0 diesel 2002

Post by Stuart W »

My most worrying issue isthat on the system list of diagnostics under the heading of BSI it is showing no connection to the diagnostic regardless of the brake issues.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

That amount of errors suggests an earth either not connected or has a bad (corroded or loose) connection. I would go unde the bonnet first and check every connection. If the mechanic lowered the engine, I have experience of wiring harness getting stretched & fine wires snapping inside the plastic sheathing. Certain computers can find the break point in the loom to the millimetre, but as no doubt you are aware, check the easy stuff first. Battery terminals, earth points, and joins on the loom, the + on the BSM (where the feed goes from the battery to the BSM then onto the BSI in most cases). We had such an issue and it turned out to be grotty fuses inside the BSM.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current temporary 2008 Citroen C4 picasso 1.6 hdi whilst the 2015 Grand picasso continues to have electrical problems..

Post by Stuart W »

Thanks Duo.I have tested the wiring endlessly and there appears to be no hint if corrosion anywhere. I havent yet tried removing the abs plug outer shell to check the other wires.Does anyone know how these come apart without breaking the plastic?The power feed to the bsi was good too.All fuses on the bsi were good and clean.I have removed the BSI again and sent it to Rollingmotion for assessment and reprogramming if necessary..I seems that the engine was only lowered slightly on the drivers side, just enough to access and remove the ABS block. At least I will be able to eliminate the BSI one way or another if it comes back working or no fault found.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

Stuart W wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 15:32 Thanks Duo.I have tested the wiring endlessly and there appears to be no hint if corrosion anywhere. I havent yet tried removing the abs plug outer shell to check the other wires.Does anyone know how these come apart without breaking the plastic?The power feed to the bsi was good too.All fuses on the bsi were good and clean.I have removed the BSI again and sent it to Rollingmotion for assessment and reprogramming if necessary..I seems that the engine was only lowered slightly on the drivers side, just enough to access and remove the ABS block. At least I will be able to eliminate the BSI one way or another if it comes back working or no fault found.
If it doesn't look like it comes apart, then it probably doesn't! ABS sensors go into the hub (or close by) and the wire generally goes up behind the inner wheel arch plastic cover. The joint is usually away from anywhere the road grime can't get to it.

Another ABS issue can be the sensor pick up (reluctor) ring. I have seen these snap through build up of rust. May be worth checking, but before that, check the sensor hasn't been forced out of its orifice by a build up of rust. Another common issue with Peugeot (ergo Citroen) is the exhaust pipe "can" melt the wiring running adjacent to it. Might be worth a look there too.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

I have received the BSI unit back from test with no fault found.Am rapidly running out of options now.Another ABS block of the same number 026956083 has been fitted but not recoded yet but still shows the epb and esp plus service lights.Could it be ECU related since my icarsoft diagnostic shows no communication ABS/ECU.?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think you need someone with an oscilliscope and some knowledge of how to use it! It would appear that there is either a break in a CAN wire somewhere, or something is pulling the network down, and chances are it is nothing to do with the ABS. Have a look at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics on YouTube, lots of good diag videos where seemingly odd (and unconnected) stuff causes all sorts of mayhem! e.g.

Richard W
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

Thanks Richard.I have a scope and have already scoped the can bus lines which look normal.I guess it is the data itself which is corrupt in some way. Is the engine ecu involved in the abs canbus data? I havent gone down that line yet since the obd engine related data all seems to be working ok.
Stuartb863w
My Cars: C4 grand Picasso 2016

Post by Stuartb863w »

I have the exact same issue you have before changing abs/esp block,

Did you manage to resolve this?