Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by mickthemaverick »

TOTH Villa, Burnley, West Ham, and the one Ian Botham played for I believe Scunthorpe United. ? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 16:48 TOTH Villa, Burnley, West Ham, and the one Ian Botham played for I believe Scunthorpe United. ? :)
You will be close with that Mick, on Cricketers who played football, I remember (or not) one playing in the first game of one season when the newly promoted side beat Chelsea unexpectedly. I believe he used to turn out for Leicestershire in the Cricket Season

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 17:05 You will be close with that Mick, on Cricketers who played football, I remember (or not) one playing in the first game of one season when the newly promoted side beat Chelsea unexpectedly. I believe he used to turn out for Leicestershire in the Cricket Season
That is Chris Balderstone, won lots of things with Leicestershire County Cricket team, played 2 tests for England late in his career against the ferocious pace attack of the West Indes at the time, and scored a penalty at Tottenham to put Carlisle after 3 games, top of Division 1 briefly. That season ended with both Carlisle and Chelsea being relegated.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 00:11 ImageI think I have probably put this on before This is where I bought my cars in the '50s.
Arising from the telephone number on Peter's garages Gallery photo (RAV 6060) I discovered this resource which lists all of the London three letter codes for exchanges. Peter revealed that RAV stood for Ravensbourne, but was unsure where IMP came from for the exchange for Petts Wood and Chislehurst.

This resource reveals all
https://rhaworth.net/phreak/tenp_01.php

Plenty of interest in the story of Louis-Napoleon, Prince Imperial who resided at Camden Place Chislehurst in this wiki article here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Nap ... e_Imperial

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

AdBlue

Bit of a tangent on the Lidl/Aldi thread the question was posed
MattBLancs wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 06:19
CitroJim wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 15:49 I'm rather disappointed Adblue is not actually blue 😕
Me too! To the extent I don't understand what the name is supposed to mean!
(Cue: Google searching!)
Food and drink of the trivia investigation thread.....

My take...what came first the fluid or the car design of systems that use it :?: My guess..had to be hand in hand.

With the general public predisposed to put the wrong fluid in the various orifaces which accept fluid in a car they attempted to make it obvious in the "pioneering" development by using a blue filler cap for the "ad blue".

Subliminal link established....Ad Blue which hole does it go in...probably the one with the blue cap.
Which hole does the ad blue go in<br />I think they tried to make it obvious at the design stage with the name of the product and the colour of the filler cap.
Which hole does the ad blue go in
I think they tried to make it obvious at the design stage with the name of the product and the colour of the filler cap.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

AdBlue

I see Mick has gone direct to the horses mouth. Should the loose ends be tied up with the chapter and verse provided by that avenue of enquiry, the Trivia Investigation case opened will be be appropriately notified and closed. In the meantime I reckon my blue filler cap and the name with the symbiotic development both the name and the cap colour are a neat enough explanation for me.
mickthemaverick wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 09:08 I have emailed the Association whose trade mark it is and we'll see if they can tell us!! :-D
This is the second reply having been told to email a second person I got this:
Kos, Erika <erika.kos@vda.de>
​Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, Thank you very much for your message. I will be back on duty on 02.04.2024 and will take care of your request immediately. In urgent cases, please contact Dr. Leffler

So don't hold your breath!! :-D
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As incongruous as Von-Trapp being a Captain in the Austrian Navy.
Work this one out.
Is there another Luxembourg with a coastline?
Is there another Luxembourg with a coastline?
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Why ...money!
https://www.i-law.com/ilaw/doc/view.htm ... 20costs%29.
The move of the land-locked Grand Duchy of Luxembourg to register ships under its flag was inspired by the will to create a new European Register through a legal framework that attempts to avoid the disadvantages of the “flags of convenience” registers (insufficient safety, labour law and technical controls) and those of the traditional European shipping registers (too high costs). The Law takes into account the existence and opportunities offered by the Luxembourg banking and insurance sector and fully implements the core of the EEC Treaty, including the right of establishment and the free movement of persons, services and capital.
the How
ACT OF 9TH NOVEMBER 1990 TO ESTABLISH A LUXEMBOURG MARITIME REGISTER (as amended by the Act of 14th April 1992) (as amended by the Act of 17th June 1994)
Non Offical Consolidated Text
We JEAN, by the Grace of God, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau; (the GD of Lux at the time was (Jean Benoît Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano;)
Our Council of State being accord;
The Chamber of Deputies in first and second readings on 17th July 1990 and 7th November 1990
respectively assenting;
Hereby command:
Introduction
The following conventions appearing in Annex 1 of the Act of 9th November 1990 approving
certain international maritime conventions are relevant to this Introduction:
- Convention on the International Maritime Organization:
- Convention on Facilitation of International Maritime Traffic, 1965, as amended.
Chapter 1 - General Principles
Art. 1. A public shipping register of ships flying the Luxembourg flag, hereinafter called "the
register", is established.

The register comes under the authority of the member of Government responsible for maritime
affairs ("the Minister").
Ships on the register are required to fly the Luxembourg flag as described for inland water
transportation and aviation in Article 4 of the Act of 23rd June 1972 on National Emblems. The
flag must be made of cloth, its proportions 7 by 5, bearing a red lion rampant facing towards the
mast, crowned and embellished in gold and with a forked tail, against a background of ten
horizontal silver and blue stripes. Both sides of the flag must be the same.
The certificate of registry shall be evidence, unless proved to the contrary, that the ship complies
in all respects with the provisions of this Act and of the regulations adopted under the Act. Every
ship must show on its hull its name and the port of registry as "Luxembourg".
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The track Elton John "Out of the Blue" from his 1976 "Blue Moves" Album.

1. If you haven's heard it is probably the most un-Elton John track he has ever recorded and the most prog-rocky he has ever been before or since. Famously or forgotten-ly an extract from it usually appeared after words like these from William Woollard at the end of each episode of the original original Top Gear...

"Well that's all for Top Gear this week.
Be sure to tune in next week as we showcase the best from the Geneva Motor Show
Chris Goffey will be getting to grips with what many pundits claim to be Austin Rover's last chance saloon... the Montego.
Sue Baker will no doubt be complaining about the ashtray position of Volvo's new 740 while I'll be riding shotgun with rally rebel Tony Pond in the Mighty Metro 6R4"

Elton's masterpiece sampled! (relax no need to watch the whole show...starts just before the end credits)

2. Its instrumental
3. It was omitted from the tracks on the single CD of the album to cut that down to a single CD release.
4. It was included on the subsequent double CD release
5. Sounds like a jam session which made it to an album.

Writer: Elton John, Bernie Taupin ( :?: no lyrics!)
Piano: Elton John
Bass: Kenny Passarelli
Drums: Roger Pope
Electric guitars: Davey Johnstone, Caleb Quaye
Synthesizers: James Newton-Howard

and it is definitely worth a full version listen...dutifully provided on the "Driving Music" thread here
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

AS a result of that little gem from Neil I dug out the beginning of Series 1 Episode 1 to see what tune that used, guess what:

NewcastleFalcon

Jessica by the Allman Brothers, the very much more familiar and well known, and Elton's end credits "out of the Blue" didn't make it to the the revival series when Top gear turned into an "entertainment" show, and lazily and unartistically they just reprised Jessica for the end credits. A retrograde step.

I'll give for free a couple of classic end credits melancholia different to the opening theme to look up and discover, both superb pieces of musical art.

They come from "World in Action", and the aforementioned "The Sweeney".

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Name those tunes!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

The Sweeney tune was written by Harry South and presumably called "The Sweeney Theme"
The World in Action theme was subject to some writing credit dispute (comments 3 and 4 on the vid if you watch it on youtube)

Much longer World in Action "end theme" here

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just for information A list of Top Gear Original 1977-2001, and Top Gear Revival (2002-2022) Presenters

click to enlarge
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Trivia is there to be found, even from "favourite colours for cars"....
The Blue SM is "AC 637 Bleu de Brégançon Metallise"

Only the properly curious think "I wonder what/where Brégançon is... :?:

Here, and La Mer Méditerranée does look quite Bleu around the Fort de Brégançon in this pic.

Bormes-les-Mimosas (83) - Fort de Brégançon
Patrub01, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey