Vintage Audio Activities...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lockdown Vintage Audio Activities...

Post by CitroJim »

Those Round Ekco radios are iconic and some varieties are very expensive and very collectable now... Sime models are more valuable than others and not all Round Ekco radios are equal...

Ekco and not Echo as may people think as the name is made up of the company founder's name: E K Cole.

The Murphy 'Batwing', likely a 146, is highly regarded in vintage radio circles... They sound awesome but its sheer size puts some people off...

The Pye Black Box record player is also one very iconic and highly sought-after and collectable model although some models were badly compromised in the amplifier circuitry... The final transistorised version was a disaster and not much better was the version that used PCL83 TV valves in the amplifier... The design had a tendency to 'take off' (uncontrolled oscillation) and to this day can be hard to make good... 'Nice looks, shame about the works' applies to those models!

An odd name as not all were black although some were finished in that rich black Japanese lacquer with a classic Japanese scene on the front....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I am sure you could have had a fascinating and informative chat with the chap at the Hexham shop, I did and showed enough curiosity to have a decent conversation.

The old radio sets, speaker record players can be gorgeous objets d'art in their own right particularly the art deco stuff.

What is your view to the items being for want of a better word (which I dont really understand) "bluetoothed" so they really have all the modern functionality, and as the chap in the shop showed with the batwing, completely controllable from an App on his phone. :?: Does the demise of "the analogue signal" relegate the "non-bluetoothed" stuff to a crackly rendition of 5-live at its best and nothing else in the Radio department?

Interested to know your opinion.

Here's some more stuff with not the sharpest of focus of the other things he has lying around.
P2080123.JPG
P2080124.JPG
P2080126.JPG
P2080127.JPG
P2080128.JPG
P2080130.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I like the Murphy baffle set and also the Pye Black Box. We sold them when I worked in London in 1954, they were expensive. We sold Quad and Leak amplifiers, mono of course they were I believe 48 guineas, I was earning £3 per week and had to pay my train fare out of that!

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 09:11 I am sure you could have had a fascinating and informative chat with the chap at the Hexham shop, I did and showed enough curiosity to have a decent conversation.
I'd love to Neil and yes, I could - for hours!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 09:11 What is your view to the items being for want of a better word (which I dont really understand) "bluetoothed" so they really have all the modern functionality, and as the chap in the shop showed with the batwing, completely controllable from an App on his phone. :?: Does the demise of "the analogue signal" relegate the "non-bluetoothed" stuff to a crackly rendition of 5-live at its best and nothing else in the Radio department?
It's discussed at length on the vintage radio forum and the view is that if the underlying set is left standard and all the mods are reversible then there's no issue at all... I fully concur. The forum actively advises on how. It's when the original set is destroyed, just leaving a shell of a cabinet, that it's seen with some disapproval but again, if it's a common set in no danger of extinction then no great issue.. It's when rare sets - like a Batwing or Round EKco are 'upcycled' and vandalised by the Steampunk brigade that some disquiet is expressed. I too agree.

Peter.N. wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 11:56 I like the Murphy baffle set and also the Pye Black Box. We sold them when I worked in London in 1954, they were expensive. We sold Quad and Leak amplifiers, mono of course they were I believe 48 guineas, I was earning £3 per week and had to pay my train fare out of that!
I have a 1959 Hi-Fi yearbook here Peter, the prices look good but when adjusted for inflation they are eyewatering! Amazing so much top-end vintage Hi-Fi was ever sold at the prices asked... Maybe because it was such an investment so much has survived...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think a lot of that wasn't sold to hifi enthusiasts but people had plenty of money and wanted to show it Jim.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Vintage Audio Activities...

Taking the "lockdown out of the title" and probably being imprecise about "vintage" came across this which was lying unloved in the pages of the "Pickled-Egg Library" thread which has absolutely plummeted into obscurity, as plainly no one reads books anymore, or if they do fail to post up their current book/books on the go, ones recently acquired, or received as gifts etc etc.

As ever the FCF Off Topic section does have a home for such things it is here
The Pickled Egg Library viewtopic.php?p=510862#p510862
Meanwhile in my eyes there is nothing not to like about this....tremendous artwork

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love the pictures on the front of the 1950s PW magazines when they were known - along with several other titles - as 'Camm's Comic'

The pictures are incredibly atmospheric...

The content was good in those days too... I have quite a few in my collection.

And yes, I still read a lot...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Vintage Audio Activities...

CitroJim wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 09:47 And yes, I still read a lot...
Deposit something in the Pickled Egg Library, it hasn't had a post since October 2022 needs a bit of revival! :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 09:29 As ever the FCF Off Topic section does have a home for such things it is here
The Pickled Egg Library viewtopic.php?p=510862#p510862
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Very nostalgic now Jim but the cutting edge of technology then.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 13:16 Very nostalgic now Jim but the cutting edge of technology then.
Yes, absolutely Peter :D From that same year I have a copy of PW describing the construction of an FM Tuner with AFC using just three valves... For the time, very cutting edge... The means by which AFC was achieved with so few components was quite innovative :)

AFC was needed in the design as it was a three station preset tuner - a switch selected either the Light, Third or Home...
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have really updated the topic title.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 18:18 I have really updated the topic title.
Thanks Mike, it needed it given lockdown is now long in the past and history - we hope [-o<
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

This may be of interest to certain members!! :-D

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 000175b975
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 May 2023, 13:23 This may be of interest to certain members!! :-D

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 000175b975
Useful little receivers... That one's going to need a lot of restoration work...

I'll pass!
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I could have put this in several threads, but I'll plonk it here. :)

1951: Building the HOLME MOSS TRANSMITTER | Newsreel

A fantasticly dated newsreel short of building the Holme Moss TV transmitter and mast from a long time ago which may appeal to those interested in such things :) For those not interested - move along please, nothing to see here :lol:

BBC RP narration - Check.
Men in suits and ties - Check.
Jolly music playing along - Check.
At least one man smoking a pipe - Check.
Bugger-all health and safety whilst building the mast - Check.

Last edited by bobins on 08 Jan 2024, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(