Resetting Eolys counter with diagbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Resetting Eolys counter with diagbox

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Time will tell. You didn't specify - how many miles the vehicle has done?

There are separate issues - topping up the Eolys additive and resetting the additive counter, and then the particle filter itself. These don't last forever and generally have a life of about 160k KMs.

The filter gets filled with engine debris and Cerine (which can't be burned off and ultimately clogs the filter, requiring a deep clean or replacement.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
lanzarobbie
My Cars: berlingo 2009 1.6 hdi 110

Post by lanzarobbie »

Fingers crossed.
Its done 125,000 km.
I see there's a particle filter cleaner additive to go in the fuel tank is that any good or a gimmick.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A gimmick and NOT recommended. The only way a DPF can be cleaned is through in place cleaning (cleaner injected whilst on a ramp for a mild clean) or removal for a deep clean, or a replacement.

I strongly recommend (as do Citroen) against putting anything else in the fuel system.

Marc
lanzarobbie
My Cars: berlingo 2009 1.6 hdi 110

Post by lanzarobbie »

Thanks,

Good news I done a fair bit of driving around today and no warning light, well apart from tyre presure sensor deactivated/activated that been since i had a tyre changed after a punture.
paraman79
My Cars: 2011 peugeot tepee outdoor

Re:The very high price of resetting Eolys counter

Post by paraman79 »

Well, I hope the diagbox really does reset the counter. Today asked Inverness main dealer, Arnold Clark, Peugeot and Citroen together, what it would cost to refill the Eolys container and reset the counter. They phoned me a little later. I thought the nice lady said 'A £160' for refill and reset. Not bad I thought. Why bother to do it myself! Then, as said lady started to quote the parts and labour I realised it was '£860' The A had become 8... my duff hearing! So I will do it myself. Car has done 80260 miles in just under 13 years. I always filled up with diesel when bnear empty to avoid opening the filler cap, although it seems that this may not make much difference no? Warning light came on only once after a sudden swerve to avoid a hazard. Not since then but it concentrates the mind. I had heard problems from around this mileage.
How complex to use is the diagbox then? A will it be of use with other cars like my daughters Mazda?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, that's not right at all.

If you have the itemisation, please list it here, as there's no way it is that amount to refill it and reset the counter.

Marc
paraman79
My Cars: 2011 peugeot tepee outdoor

Post by paraman79 »

I will steel myself for a revisit! I need to know which Pat/Eolys version I would need. I have see some refills that cover All?
I will ask for a printed out estimate this time.
Perhaps things are a lot cheaper in Wales although the downside is so many 20mph signs. How do you ever get up to speed
required to regen?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so for a Bipper / Tepee, let's assume that you even needed a full 3 litre kit. I'd need your VIN to advise on the correct fluid and no, they are not all the same. But if it was Powerflex and you bought a 3 litre kit retail at Citroen which would be the most expensive you would get it for, that's only £202 inc. VAT. There's no way it would take more than an hour to put the car on a lift, remove the heat shield and gravity fill the additive tank while the technician has a cup of tea for the 5 minutes it will take. Then put it back and plug in the diagnostic tool, and reset the additive counter. £120 diagnostic rate for up to 1 hour, so cannot be more than £350 realistically including VAT.

Sounds like they are charging you for a new additive tank..... :shock:

Marc
Dustysweeper
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 2014

Post by Dustysweeper »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 10:41
The engine ECU sends a request for additive to be injected in one or more volumes of 1265 mm³, to the fuel additive pump, via the BSI.
The engine ECU records in memory the weight of additive that is accumulated in the particle filter.

What could be the results of the weight of additive in the filter being reset to zero? If someone told the ECU it had a new filter but it hasn't?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not much, done it a few times. In theory, the capacity of the filter to catch soot is reduced and pressure drop increases, so regens may become more frequent. In practice it doesn't seem to matter to well beyond the mileage of most cars.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dustysweeper wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 00:26
The engine ECU sends a request for additive to be injected in one or more volumes of 1265 mm³, to the fuel additive pump, via the BSI.
The engine ECU records in memory the weight of additive that is accumulated in the particle filter.
What could be the results of the weight of additive in the filter being reset to zero? If someone told the ECU it had a new filter but it hasn't?
I don't recommend this because this is where we start to see issues here that other owners are getting because of things like this. I.e. Resetting the additive counter when some people don't actually put anything because they're too tight to pay for additive (I'm speaking generally here) and are going to moving the car on - leaving the issues for the new owners to deal with.

The weight of the cerine in grammes is used to determine the theoretical life of the particle filter. At some point it will become blocked from the Cerine deposits that cannot be burned off, along with the accumulated ash and other engine debris / deposits. So the Engine ECU works out the amount of additive that has been metered and from this calculates the amount of Cerine that has been deposited to give a sort of life to the filter.

The particle filter pressure sensors are used to monitor the system and if the pressure readings indicate a blocked filter then it will flag the warnings, but will also flag a warning if it thinks the filter is near end of life. If the DPF were to be replaced or deep-cleaned, then of course we tell the engine ECU that the DPF has been replaced and this resets the counter for the Cerine deposits.

Marc
Dustysweeper
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 2014

Post by Dustysweeper »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 11:14
Dustysweeper wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 00:26
I don't recommend this because this is where we start to see issues here that other owners are getting because of things like this. I.e. Resetting the additive counter when some people don't actually put anything because they're too tight to pay for additive (I'm speaking generally here) and are going to moving the car on - leaving the issues for the new owners to deal with.

The weight of the cerine in grammes is used to determine the theoretical life of the particle filter. At some point it will become blocked from the Cerine deposits that cannot be burned off, along with the accumulated ash and other engine debris / deposits. So the Engine ECU works out the amount of additive that has been metered and from this calculates the amount of Cerine that has been deposited to give a sort of life to the filter.

The particle filter pressure sensors are used to monitor the system and if the pressure readings indicate a blocked filter then it will flag the warnings, but will also flag a warning if it thinks the filter is near end of life. If the DPF were to be replaced or deep-cleaned, then of course we tell the engine ECU that the DPF has been replaced and this resets the counter for the Cerine deposits.
I'm only asking because I've been told it needs done when replenishing the Eolys. Which I hotly disputed but was told I'm wrong.

My car is approaching 80k and I'm expecting the additive low message soon. I'll need to find out the correct fluid for mine at some point soon.

Thanks for the detailed answer which I'm going to send this link to the somebody that told me the wrong information.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is some confusion I think.

When the Eolys additive is topped up or refilled:
  • The Additive Counter is reset.
This ensures that the Additive or Engine ECU know that the tank has been filled or the pouch replaced, as there is no physical measuring system for the additive fluid. It is estimated by the ECU.

When the DPF is replaced, there are generally 2 operations:
  • The ECU is told the DPF has been replaced
  • The additive counter should ideally be topped up and again reset.
This should reset the amount of additive that has been recorded as being injected into the fuel tank over the years (and shown as weight in grammes in the live data) and from which the estimated amount of Cerine deposits is calculated - which leads to the calculation of the life expectancy of the DPF.

Only if the additive ECU (on older vehicles) or the Additive Pump has been replaced should the recorded weights of the Additive in grammes be transferred from the old ECO to the new additive ECU or engine ECU for later systems. This is because the new pump or ECU will not know the amounts that have been dumped into the DPF. Where this info is not available because of a faulty ECU for example, there is a table of amounts that can be entered according to the mileage of the vehicle to approximate the average use.

Marc