Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by mickthemaverick »

As I suspected we've actually gone above last year's in October but only just! That's what happens when I go away and leave SWMBO on her own!! :-D
MTMO
MTMO
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Having had this stinking flu for the last fortnight I gave up all thoughts of economy and turned the heating up.
Had a fright yesterday temp down to 16 degrees and the boiler wouldn't start, pleased to find it was just flat batteries in the remote.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Haven't listened to it all. Too American.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I just did - in spite of it being American. Sounds good if it works but I think they have rather missed the boat as far as cars are concerned, most of the major manufacturers are cutting back on production or stopping it altogether as they are just not selling.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Probably more useful on the domestic market for houses fitted with solar panels to store energy for night use.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The most repeated names in the vid were BYD and CATL, already dominating the market with a proven track record of taking research and intellectual property into massive scale production. Sodium-Ion is here, and they have taken Lithium Ion Phosphate to be the current dominant battery chemistry for both cars and storage.

Everyone else is miles behind from the USA to Europe to Japan, to the deluded about its own importance UK.(viewtopic.php?p=775423#p775423)

The World leaders in the field are all from the far east, not just on the research side, but manufacturing products at scale to dominate markets at unbeatable price.

Even our beloved Dutch Stellantis, custodians of FCF favourites Citroen and Peugeot have come to the conclusion we can't beat them so we may as well join them...

viewtopic.php?p=780457#p780457

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 Nov 2023, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 23:17 I just did - in spite of it being American. Sounds good if it works but I think they have rather missed the boat as far as cars are concerned, most of the major manufacturers are cutting back on production or stopping it altogether as they are just not selling.

Peter
Oil company myth Peter.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There are quite a few company videos on YouTube that state they are ceasing electric vehicle manufacture, I know you can't believe much you are told by anyone now but I know at least two people who have got rid of their electric cars and returned to ICE. They are ideal for a second car that just does shopping and the school run but as a long distance vehicle they are next to useless.

There is a very good recent video of a John O Groats to Lands end trip, one chap had a new electric Porche and the other a £1500 BMW diesel, The Porche took 9 hours longer mainly on account of the lack and inefficiency of the charging facilities, and cost more to do the trip. I will find it for you if you are interested.

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Find it anyway Peter, I am sure many will find it interesting!! :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 12:18
There is a very good recent video of a John O Groats to Lands end trip, one chap had a new electric Porche and the other a £1500 BMW diesel, The Porche took 9 hours longer mainly on account of the lack and inefficiency of the charging facilities, and cost more to do the trip. I will find it for you if you are interested.

Peter
That particular story has been dealt with in the 'stop burning stuff' video Peter, if you care to watch it the lady on there says they did the same journey without problems with electric trucks.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 12:18

Peter
That particular story has been dealt with in the 'stop burning stuff' video Peter, if you care to watch it the lady on there says they did the same journey without problems with electric trucks.

http://www.stopburningstuff.com/
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Fleet sales of new BEVs remain buoyant in the UK, private sales (registrations) of BEVs appear to be in decline at the moment. Private buyers are still buying them new, but I think it fair to say that enthusiasm amongst new buyers is less enthusiastic than it used to be.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Discounts return to cut electricity use amid cold snap

"Discounts will be offered to some households to use less electricity at peak times on Wednesday in a bid to ease demand amid the cold weather snap.
Suppliers signed up to the National Grid ESO scheme will offer money back to customers with smart meters who cut usage between 17:00 and 18:30 GMT.
National Grid said the decision did not mean electricity supplies were at risk, adding "people should not be worried".

"National Grid ESO said it decided to offer discounts in return for people reducing their electricity consumption after its forecasts showed tighter than usual supply margins on Wednesday evening.
"These are precautionary measures to maintain the buffer of spare capacity we need," the network operator said.
The so-called Demand Flexibility Service enables households to save cash if they avoid high-power activities, such as cooking or using washing machines, for a specified period when demand is high.
The cold weather and a lack of wind is expected to contribute to higher power demand, but National Grid ESO said deploying the scheme was based on a "combination of factors".

More at the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67553709
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Obviously a lack of wind causes a loss of generating capacity but I fail to see how it can cause "higher power demand" unless they are referring to consumers with their own wind generators demanding more from the grid! Surely that number is pretty small compared to the total number of consumers? :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

John O Groats to lands end electric V diesel.