On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: On your Bike

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 17:33
One bit is very twisty and busy where any cars following just cannot get past. I knew I had accumulated five following thanks to my radar so I did the right thing and pulled into a farm entrance so they could pass. For that simple thing I received five big smiles and thumbs ups :D
If only all cyclists had your manners Jim, I came up behind a truck yesterday doing 10mph along our back road. It soon emerged that he was following a pair of peddlers riding 2 abreast. I know that is now a recommended procedure in country lanes but keeping it up for 4.5 miles with a large truck behind just isn't right. Plenty of places for them to do the decent thing but no!! When we finally got to the only decent straight the truck, myself and 7 or 8 others passed them and I'm pretty sure they didn't get a single smile!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

I bet they got a digit from the hand though
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 17:59 If only all cyclists had your manners Jim, I came up behind a truck yesterday doing 10mph along our back road. It soon emerged that he was following a pair of peddlers riding 2 abreast. I know that is now a recommended procedure in country lanes but keeping it up for 4.5 miles with a large truck behind just isn't right. Plenty of places for them to do the decent thing but no!! When we finally got to the only decent straight the truck, myself and 7 or 8 others passed them and I'm pretty sure they didn't get a single smile!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
That's totally out of order in my view Mick. I'm very much of the belief that if we all gave way when we know we have a grown a convoy (and it doesn't need rear-view radar to know) we'd be far more accepted and drivers would, in turn, behave far better around us...
Rp0thejester wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 19:04 I bet they got a digit from the hand though
And I bet I got called all sorts of names too :roll: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Rp0thejester wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 19:04 I bet they got a digit from the hand though
A veritable collection! I managed an appropriately shaped fist but didn't know how to pluralise it! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Screenshot from 2024-02-01 10-18-13.png
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Next Sunday I'll be taking part in my first duathlon of the season so today I have been getting some serious training in :D
Screenshot_20240211_145948_Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20240211_145957_Connect.jpg
I'm quite pleased with that :D

And I'll be repping my club:
20240211_173913.jpg
I've been testing some clothing for the event, the Ashridge Duathlon, which has a muddy trail course for the run legs and a hilly, technical road course for the bike leg. Usually the weather is absolutely abysmal for this one. Cold, wet and windy... Just how I love it... Clothing has been selected with this in mind ;)

The only downside of a Sunday Duathlon event is that I have to miss Junior parkrun :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In my car this time, although did the full Derby to Berwick-upon-Tweed, NCN68 Pennine cycleway back in May 2020.
The book and the film aren't out yet, but this thread tells the tale...

viewtopic.php?p=644521#p644521
micra68.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

If you fancy riding round on a kettle looks like you may have to hand over more than £10,000 to tempt the owner to sell this one.

Less than 1600 miles covered since 1978.

https://auctions.wbandsons.com/auction/ ... 2&pn=4&g=1

I've thrown in a gratuitous original falcon in the wild photo of the blue one of the same breed for good measure.
temp2.png
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Still my dream bike :D Back in the day I so nearly got one... One of my little regrets :(
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yesterday I had a rare opportunity to take my bike for a few laps around the Milton Keynes Bowl race track - the one used for, amongst other things, our series of Criterium races in the spring and summer months..

The first time I've ridden it despite marshalling at the races many times...

A friend made a little video of me in action...

It was huge fun :-D

I couldn't go all-out as part of the track, in the stage area when the bowl hosts big concerts, was in use for HGV training...

I have video from my bike camera which is still undergoing processing to overlay metrics on it...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Sprouting from the February Ferret, and a post on Malcolm's thread today's random selection from the archives.

viewtopic.php?p=790652#p790652

Wonder who built this one?
Spoiler: show
The find it fix it flog it bloke ( Henry Cole's fix it man :-D )
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Toying with the idea of doing the LEJoG ride/challenge but I’m struggling to do more than 30 miles before my legs have had enough :cry:

Today’s effort was a bit too much and struggled to get home as well as my legs coming out in sympathy - the freewheel joined in and has partially seized, so slightly slower progress as it seemed the only way to safely descend was to keep the brakes on to keep the speed down and carry on pedalling as fast as possible, otherwise the chain just went slack and gathered up against the tyre :juggle: risking a rear lock up!
22 Feb 24 longest ride so far this year
22 Feb 24 longest ride so far this year
Strangely enough the elevation climbs on LEJoG equate very closely to most of my routes @ 48 feet per mile but that’s before I even think about adding panniers and carriers (not carrier bags :lol: )

8-[
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

36 miles on a day like today is good going Gary, don't be so hard on yourself...

LEJOG is an awesome challenge and good on you. I'd love to. I take it you'll be looking at one of the guided ones rather than doing it all solo and self-supporting?

I know I don't need to say this to you really but lots of consistent training will soon do the trick and you'll be able to do the 100 miles per day will soon be a piece of duff...

If you can do 50 miles, then 100 is no problem at all... You just have to tell your head ;)

I have my first long sportive ride of 2024, the Cambridgeshire Classic, next Saturday. A few sportives are great LEJOG training :)
Jim

Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 16:46
If you can do 50 miles, then 100 is no problem at all... You just have to tell your head ;)
:argue: My head is not listening to me though :lol:

Cheers though Jim I think the supported route is probably the way ahead, mainly for the bike support but also the admin/accomodation side of things + luggage transportation each day etc....but I don't want my bike or me to be the weakest link so I will also have to get a road bike rather than my 25+ year old Huffy :oops: :lol:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch