Common Scams Section

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Re: Common Scams Section

Post by Rp0thejester »

I think it's a very clever scam if you like arguing with people, but if you keep yourself to yourself then nothing to worry about. However, if you're an argumentative person why would you fall for it?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Whoo hoo I'm going to be rich. :-D I thought these had long gone.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: RELEASE OF YOUR OUTSTANDING FUNDS

ATTENTION:

We write to bring to your attention a crucial matter that will help resolve the difficulties you have faced in receiving your long overdue payment. It has come to our notice that corrupt officials have been demanding excessive payments from you, causing your funds to remain unpaid. I am Ms. Kristalina Georgieva, a senior official at the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

We have received numerous reports about the mistreatment of individuals like yourself by various banks, courier companies, and diplomats across Europe, America, Asia, and Africa. In response, we have taken decisive action.

All governmental and non-governmental entities, including NGOs, finance companies, banks, security companies, and courier companies that have been in contact with you recently, have been instructed to discontinue their involvement in your transaction. You are advised not to engage with them any further, as the International Monetary Fund
(IMF) has taken direct control of your payment.

We have included your name in our payment schedule for this quarter, as per our banking regulations. We apologize for the delay in your payment and kindly request that you cease communication with any other office. Focus your attention on our office for the successful completion of your payment.

Your new payment information is as follows:

United Nations Approval No: UN5685P
White House Approved No: WH44CV
Reference No: 35460021
Allocation No: 674632
Password No: 339331
Pin Code No: 55674
Certificate of Merit Payment No: 103
Released Code No: 0763
Immediate (IMF) Telex Confirmation No: -6624/03 Secret Code No: XXTN013

The compensation fund earmarked for you is valued at USD$1.2 million (United States Dollars). With the receipt of these important payment numbers, you are eligible to receive and verify your payment directly with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). We assure you that your payment will be processed and delivered to you, provided you follow our directives and instructions. To ensure transparency, we have assigned you a code: IMF/PS/TUR/6624/03.

Please note that any email claiming to be from Ms. Kristalina Georgieva must include the mentioned code (IMF/PS/TUR/6624/03). If the code is not present, kindly delete the message from your inbox. We strongly advise against making any further payments to any other institutions, as your funds will be transferred directly from our source. We will provide you with additional details on the release of your funds.

We hope this clarifies the situation. Any deviation from these instructions will be at your own risk.

This office assures you of complete protection and the secure transfer of your approved compensation funds (via BANK TO BANK WIRE TRANSFER).
Your approved amount of US$1,200,000.00 (One Million, Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) from the IMF will be disbursed to you through the option above, ensuring the funds come from the correct and authorized source.

Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours faithfully,

Ms. Kristalina Georgieva
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe it got stuck in a time-warp Eric!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Telex? Who uses Telex nowadays? Does it even still exist?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 12:40 Telex? Who uses Telex nowadays? Does it even still exist?
Telex - via HF radio - is still used in maritime communications according to sources on the Web. Still an essential part of the GMDSS (Global Martime Distress and Safety System) as of 2021...

BT Discontinued traditional telex in the UK in 2008. According to Wikipedia, the last major users were solicitors who used it for exchange of contracts during conveyancing... They liked its inherent security...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

What ever happened to the obvious scams like, I am a prince and will give you 3million if you send me 30k
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The UK's financial regulator has warned of an increasing number of scammers pretending to be the watchdog.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said its impersonators aim to get people to hand over money or sensitive information, such as bank account PINs and passwords.

The public reported more than 7,700 instances of this type of scam to the FCA's contact centre so far this year.

Reports of this type of scam have more than doubled since 2021, the FCA said.

It added that a common tactic used by fraudsters was to tell people they were owed compensation, and then ask for bank details or a processing fee to arrange "payment".
Beeb News.

In better news:
Uncle Sam today said an international law enforcement effort dismantled Qakbot, aka QBot, a notorious botnet and malware loader responsible for losses totaling hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide, and seized more than $8.6 million in illicit cryptocurrency.

In a Tuesday press conference announcing the take down, US Attorney Martin Estrada called the FBI-led Operation Duck Hunt "the most significant technological and financial operation ever led by the Department of Justice against a botnet." For one thing, the Feds produced some software to drop onto Qbot-infected machines to render the malware ineffective.
The Register.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Screenshot_20230829-194417-413.thumb.png.79580c127d4ae5b83b2442249ec8f2a5.png
Fake QR codes being affixed to parking payment signs.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I received an email from Evri to advise a parcel delivery from eBay - for a 100mm length of 19mm diameter aluminium bar... Why it was not posted as promised gawd only knows... I distrust Evri with a passion and normally will not deal with any company that uses them. I'm annoyed a promise to despatch by post was not carried out and the shipment entrusted to this shower of clowns.

More to the point, the email contains some very dodgy looking links when when hovering over the 'Track and Divert Parcel' and the 'Manage you Delivery' buttons.

Prima-facie the email looks genuine but I have my doubts. The information looks right and they have my name and the eBay trader correct but have chucked in another name I don't recognise and the strangely constructed web links suggest it's a scam. I'm not clicking them to find out...

Naturally, even though today is the latest day for delivery, it's not here. Still, being with Evri I'll be lucky if I see it this side of Christmas :evil:

Which means Rothegar will not get his strut tops until 2024 :(
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Our Evri deliverer is usually just the one man, he knows everyone in the street and I can't fault him.

But, a disabled bloke living in a flat a couple of doors away had a video camera delivered, left beside the wheelie bins in the pouring rain. He received a text and photo and as he was home went and got it. Outer packaging soaked through, camera was OK though.

His building is difficult to access, the doors only open from 10 a.m. until noon but there are call buttons and an intercom for each flat.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's not the local delivery folk I have a problem with Steve, like yours, ours is a lovely bloke. It's more the general infrastructure of the company that seems so careless and inefficient... The problems start long before the local delivery bit...
Jim

momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Agreed, twice we’ve had them deliver to our local parcel shop (garage), had a text saying it’s been delivered but the garage hadn’t received it. Both times it arrived two days later, won’t use them anymore.
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine delivered a couple of things yesterday, one I expected, the other I was expecting tomorrow (Friday).
One was too big to go in the bin cupboard.
He had knocked on the door but immediately opened the bin cupboard to put them in, looked shocked when I opened the door and said he had just seen me up near the shops, which he had. I came in the back door as he knocked at the front.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No access to it for us mere mortals Eric. One needs to be logged in...
Jim