Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ChrisRobin
My Cars: On my Drive!
Megane Mk3 CC 1.9Dci 2011
Peugeot 308cc Alure 2.0HDi 2012

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by ChrisRobin »

As an Apprentice I fitted a clutch to a Maxi as a foreigner, the chap didn't have enough money to pay me so he gave me an 8 track cassette player, WOW!, that very weekend in the mini it went, crackin, check me out, 8 TRACK!

Picked up my girlfriend (or should I say bird) and off we went to Abergele Market to the music guy.... oh yeah..... chest puffed out, I asked what you got in 8 tracks mate I've just fitted one I proudly announced in front of everyone at the stall.. Max Bygraves, and some Irish Folk singer, What! that's it? no can't be....
Seems nobody uses 8 track anymore lad, he loudly informed me and that's all he had, he even laughed... YES laughed...... Don't know what I was more angry over, the fact I had taken it in payment for a job, the fact I had spent a good hour Sunday morning fitting it (hung over), or the fact I looked as cool as a sweaty sock taking "me bird" to buy cassettes for it and being laughed at by some fat old bloke because I had an 8 track.
I bought the Max Bygraves one not to look to much of a fool in front of everyone (I think I got away with it) and played it all the way back to Colwyn Bay much to her distain, she then dumped me when dropped her off at home, wow, I blame Max Bygraves, I think it was Tulips from Amsterdam that was the final straw.

Well I tell you what, when it was spring again I certainly didn't sing again............
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That's a great story Chris! I laughed like a drain...

I once had a MKII Cortina that snubbed out a promising romance - it leaked badly due to rusty floorpans and ruined her shoes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 11:16 Wow! That's a great story Chris! I laughed like a drain...

I once had a MKII Cortina that snubbed out a promising romance - it leaked badly due to rusty floorpans and ruined her shoes...
I'm curious Jim you have mentioned your Cortina before on the FCF, it would appear to have been a E-Reg 1500 GT pre-crossflow Cortina Mk II and might well have had an over-abundance of dials and wood as well as it's rusty floorpans, and be quite an interesting beast. With picture-taking being both expensive and not the universal thing it is today, I imagine few if any images will survive of the beast itself. Most important thing missing, what colour was it :?:

One example...Rostyle Wheels and all
ImageFord Cortina 1500 GT JEA589E by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

ChrisRobin wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 11:11
I bought the Max Bygraves one not to look to much of a fool in front of everyone (I think I got away with it) and played it all the way back to Colwyn Bay much to her distain, she then dumped me when dropped her off at home, wow, I blame Max Bygraves, I think it was Tulips from Amsterdam that was the final straw.
It was more likely "In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea" that put her off.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 14:25
I'm curious Jim you have mentioned your Cortina before on the FCF, it would appear to have been a E-Reg 1500 GT pre-crossflow Cortina Mk II and might well have had an over-abundance of dials and wood as well as it's rusty floorpans, and be quite an interesting beast.
That's exactly what it was Neil :D A superb car and I loved it to bits but my pocket didn't. It absolutely drank fuel and I could not afford to run it as along that time I had a 50 mile a day commute...

I knew its previous and subsequent owners.... Like so many, it got nicked a few months after I let it go and was never seen again :(

When in the ownership of its previous owner we needed to lift out the engine. The reason escapes me now but having no crane was no problem: four of us, two each side, lifted it out of the engine bay... We put it back the same way too...
myglaren wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 14:31
ChrisRobin wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 11:11
It was more likely "In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea" that put her off.

I'd be put off too... Hearing Max Bygraves even now is guaranteed to send me out of a room at some velocity whilst screaming. Ditto Jim Reeves...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:twisted:
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Yes to be fair Jim I had just fitted it, and wanted to play something in it but all I had was Max, to be fair I past the player on in similar form to a gas fitter for his old transit van after fixing my mums cooker with Max still in the player, I kind of forgot to tell him about the hidden gem, it may of put him off.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ChrisRobin wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 16:56I kind of forgot to tell him about the hidden gem, it may of put him off.
:lol:

Hope he didn't try to gas himself in a bid to escape from Max's dulcet tones....
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

On a tangent on the "Makers name in Close up thread" I threw out this little challenge.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 17:31 I was a little surprised at the results of a little word association game I threw out at Chez Falcon on the subject of this next entry. "Name 3 people top of the head with the name MAX. :?: ". Try it see if anything novel pops up :-D

..and the results came back with Max Bygraves featuring with relentless regularity :-D

If you haven't tried it do it on an unsuspecting member of your household and see what they come up with :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jessica-Alba-as-Max-in-Dark-Angel.jpg
Jessica-Alba-as-Max-in-Dark-Angel.

The only one that comes to mind.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

You know what is scary I went on to NOW last night bearing mind this conversation chose a film and in the you might also like section Tom Browns School Days with......... Yes you guessed it MAX BYGRAVES, OMG he is now haunting my streaming..

Funny you should say that Jim about the gas fitter, I don't think I saw him again. Oh dear, there could be a film there, Max Bygraves kills the gasman, staring Sylvester Stallone..... as Max Bygraves.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Anyway enough about Max......
I know we look back on our youth will playful happiness but come on you are reminding me of:
A) Being coned into taking an 8 track for part payment.
B) Making myself look totally Un cool with the market music man.
C) Having to listen to Max Bygrave in the close confines of a mini.
D) Getting dumped for listening to him.

Come on guys have a heart...… :-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

^^ :lol:
Jim

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

I wasn't around when this was made. I'm sure a few people here were though :-D
IMG_20231204_134637.jpg
IMG_20231204_134617.jpg
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rp0thejester wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 14:07 I wasn't around when this was made. I'm sure a few people here were though :-D ImageImage
I was 10... Never forget 1969... The year Apollo 11 landed on the moon and Neil Armstrong uttered those famous words...

I remember it well :)
Jim