Xantia Activa heater matrix hoses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matt H
My Cars:

Xantia Activa heater matrix hoses

Post by Matt H »

A bit of friendly advice needed please!

I had a rather nasty incident a couple of days ago, which after a bit of spirited driving saw plumes of smoke pouring out of the back of the car, and from the engine bay. After switching the engine off - and thinking the worst - I discovered that is was in fact steam, caused by a split in the heater matrix hose, which was spewing coolant onto the exhaust manifold (and probably other hot things) at an alarming rate.

Now, I can barely even see the hose through all the other pipework under the Activa's bonnet, and before I attempt to see if I can get the old pipe off, is there anything I need to bear in mind in terms of what I should remove to gain access?

Also, is the hose likely to be specific to the 2.0 CT, or will it be shared with other models? I've not had chance to try and source a replacement, and I don't even know how long it is, or where it goes... :?

Thanks,
Matthew
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Xantia Activa heater matrix hoses

Post by KennyW »

Matthew,

Have a look at the link below

This is from service citroen.

Can you post your Vin and I can check for your heater hoses.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The hose is specific to the CT engine, IIRC they were about £75 new from Citroen, might be easier to graft in a repair section as the connection onto the matrix is a bugger to get off and refit.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:might be easier to graft in a repair section as the connection onto the matrix is a bugger to get off and refit.
I'll second that!!!

Can you see the split Matt?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Matt H
My Cars:

Post by Matt H »

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've just managed to get out and take a look at the car, and am a little confused. It appears the hose is fine, but the coolant is spewing out of the top of the plastic connector.

What's the deal with the connectors, and why are they such a pain? Any idea how it could have failed in this way?

It's hard to describe, so I have drawn a mark on this image (randomly stolen off the internet) of a similar pipe to hopefully make it clear where the water is coming from. Is this plastic moulding all in one piece (and it has potentially broken and will need replacing entirely) or has it simply come apart?

I guess if it has failed the best alternative is a new hose, which could be fun if it's NLA!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's broken and will need replacing Matt. Nothing can really be done to fix it. Not even Aralidite or similar will repair it, even as a bodge as it just won't stick.

It's an unusual failure but I do wonder if in the past the joint has been disturbed for any reason such as a new matrix or an engine-out. The joint can be biblically tight and can be severely strained by the separation attempts..

Replacement is the only answer I'm afraid.. Luckily it's used on may Citrons so get one and a few inches of pipes and some 19mm straight couplers.

Access is rubbish but much better if you move the turbo piping, which is an awful job too but it may just help.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Matt H
My Cars:

Post by Matt H »

Thanks for the help Jim, I'll get there eventually!

I wouldn't be surprised if it had been disturbed in the past, but the car came with virtually zero history – so it's always a bit of a gamble.

At least I know what I'm up against now. When you say it's used by other Peugeot/Citroen models, would it be the same as this one, which seems common on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-306-1 ... 2c9544db01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks similar, but the joint looks to be angled differently. I'd appreciate a list of suitable donors – as a new elbow that I can cannibalise would make more sense than trying to remove one from a car in a breaker's yard, and it potentially getting damaged again. There is one for a Xantia TD on there also, but that's a bit pricey at £50 for something I plan on cutting up...

Nothing's ever simple it it? :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Matt H wrote: Nothing's ever simple it it? :lol:
Not in Activa-land it isn't :twisted:

The 306 one looks basically right Matt. One I do know works is the Berlingo one...
Jim

Matt H
My Cars:

Post by Matt H »

Excellent, thanks for the help Jim. I'm just going to cut the hoses tomorrow, and join them. I'll have to live without a heater for a couple of days/weeks until I get the parts and can face taking the job on properly :)