My Latest Laguna II

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparky33

My Latest Laguna II

Post by sparky33 »

Just bought an 03 Lag II Dynamique 1.9 DCi Tourer

Now I know these can be prone to Turbo failures that fire oil into the engine draining the bottom end resulting in engine failure, so I would just like to know if there are any preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of it happening?

A guy on Parkers always gives the same advice, sell it, but I don't want to.

Also, there is fluid of some description on the OS arch liner and subrame, it looks like gearbox oil or brake fluid, as it's clear, any likely suspects?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also, there is fluid of some description on the OS arch liner and subrame, it looks like gearbox oil or brake fluid, as it's clear, any likely suspects?
Can you identify it by it's odour? Gear oil and brake fluid are very different.
Could it be power steering fluid?
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

The best advice I could offer you is not to thrash the living daylight out of the car like a lot of diesel owners seem to do these days....something I will never understand.
If they want a fast car go & buy one...but don't expect a diesel to treat you well if all you do to it is thrash it & expect it to be as quick off the mark as a modern 16 valve petrol engine....Diesel power isn't about that.

Change the oil & filter way before the recommended service interval of 18k (I believe)...I use semi synthetic & change it every 9k.
Fully synthetic is specified but AFAIK this was to compensate for the long service interval.

If the engine does ever start to rev of it's own accord (running on the engine oil) stall the engine as quickly as possible to avoid engine damage.

Enjoy your new car :)
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have to confess that i had looked into the Laguna 2 when i was looking for a bigger car. Turbo failure seems the least of its problems, but we wont mention those :roll:

Diesels are all about low down grunt and torque, so they dont need reving to max revs, like a petrol does, to gain the best from them, as its all low down. However, that does not mean diesels are just for pootling about, diesels enjoy a good burst too. Infact its better for a TD to stretch its legs, cleans out all the build up of soot etc from the engine and the turbo - not a bad thing!

Id change the oil every 6K miles or so, an oil change costs very little and should keep your engine in better condition for much longer.

The gearbox can also a problem on the 1.9DCi, so if that is gearbox oil leaking out, id get the level checked ASAP, although you should ideally get that done anyway, maybe a gearbox oil change too.

We used to have a new shape Scenic with that engine, the 1.9DCi 120, a fantastic engine, really economical and lots of pull. However that car was not without its faults or design issues, as was the RX4 before that. SHame as renault make some very nice cars.

You do seem to get good and bad Lagunas though, so hopefully you have a good one, it was mainly the earlier cars which suffered the main problems.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cookie boy
My Cars:

Post by cookie boy »

Hi, in my experience having bought a lag 2 dci with the turbo blown, i traced my fault the the breather canester being blocked with carbon, it is the large moulded plastic piece where the oil filler cap screws on. The pipe at the bottom of the breather leading to the crankcase was blocked, as was the hole through the block too, basicly just all full of carbon. This then lead to the oil feeding through the upper breather straight to the turbo intake hose (which should just have gasses in), first wearing the turbo thrust bearing until shattering itself!
My personal opinion is that this is how they end up feeding off their own oil supply until siezing.
I have had 2 of these Lag 2 sport tourers & think there great :D