Knocking on Xantia not picked up on MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Knocking on Xantia not picked up on MOT

Post by LeeDJC »

My xantia just flew through it's MOT (see other thread), but there is still a knocking when going over bumps. Sounds a little like the drop links (just recently replaced), but louder and a bit heavier. I can't feel it through the pedals or steering wheel. Also it sounds the same whether the n/s or o/s wheel hits a bump

I assumed that it would be picked up in the MOT, so hadn't got it checked out yet, but no mention was made of it.

Would it be (clutching at straws now) anything to do with strut tops or bearings? I'm just about to replace these and killing two birds with one stone would be great!

Cheers,
Lee
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a similar noise on my XM, its in the front n/s suspension, sounds just like a drop link but I have replaced it twice! (forgotton I had allready replaced it, senior moment!). I cant find any play in anything so will be interested in the MOT results!.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

One source of "phantom knocking" in the suspension is if there is air being pumped into the hydraulic system.

If you're 100% sure all the balljoints, bushes etc are ok, and it clonks on broken surfaces, that could be what it is...

All the bushes and balljoints on my Xantia are fine (replaced the only droplink which had any wear) and I have an intermitantly varying air leak on the pump, and some days it knocks and clonks over broken surfaces like the droplinks are stuffed, and other days its perfectly quiet!!

(Obviously a true mechanical problem causing clonking would not come and go at random, and when it is clonking its usually all 4 wheels which clonk over the bumps, or at least both front wheels, rather than just one individual wheel)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Mandrake wrote:One source of "phantom knocking" in the suspension is if there is air being pumped into the hydraulic system.

If you're 100% sure all the balljoints, bushes etc are ok, and it clonks on broken surfaces, that could be what it is...

All the bushes and balljoints on my Xantia are fine (replaced the only droplink which had any wear) and I have an intermitantly varying air leak on the pump, and some days it knocks and clonks over broken surfaces like the droplinks are stuffed, and other days its perfectly quiet!!

(Obviously a true mechanical problem causing clonking would not come and go at random, and when it is clonking its usually all 4 wheels which clonk over the bumps, or at least both front wheels, rather than just one individual wheel)

Regards,
Simon
I've been under the car and checked everything that I can, but can't find anything loose.

It only happens from the front of the car, but whichever wheel hits the potholes/drain covers etc the sound still seems to originate from the same place and also sounds the same.

It doesn 't seem to make any difference as to how harsh the bump is, the sound still seems pretty much the same.

Also, now you come to mention it, it's pretty much always there, but it does seem to come and go a bit.

I'm going drain and put some hydraflush in the system when I do the strut tops and also bleed the brakes, so if that doesn't fix it, it's back to the drawing board!!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It's not the handbrake cables is it?
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Homer wrote:It's not the handbrake cables is it?
Do you mean by not being clipped in properly?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a good look at the inner wishbone bushes on the front suspension - just found one on my Bx has gone and think its the knock I've been looking for for ages. - thought it would fail the MOT on them 2 years ago! and had new ones in the back of the car.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is one single test I always do to find dodgy components in the front suspension - never failed :
Grap the top of the tyre both hands (gloves are OK :lol: ) - then rock the complete car sidewards as violent you can. Its important to sort of "catching the wave" such you get the largest possible excursions.
Some practice - and you can immediately diagnose swivel joints, wheel bearings, droplinks, ARB bushings and control arm bushings.

Note : its not a test for Mr peabody - you got to exhaustive put in your Umphh and weight in this test :shock:
Warning : do not raise your body too sudden after this test :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Is this with the suspension on high, with the car on the ground, or with it up on stands?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Have you had a look at your engien mounts?

I had an annoying knock/crack that only seemed to occur when going over speed bumps and pot holes, got to be a sticking drop link then! Wrong, changed that for a complete new unit and nothing changed. Had already done the bottom ball joint, and checked everything was free and so on, still nothing!

Left it a good 5000 miles mostly towing and it didnt seem to get much worse. Having now changed the bottom engine mount, its cured, silent as a mouse :D My next suspicion was going to be the bottom arm bushes, hence why i put of the job for 5000 miles but now it seems just fine and dandy!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

LeeDJC wrote:Is this with the suspension on high, with the car on the ground, or with it up on stands?
Car in normal height & weight on wheels - i.e. engine idle.
Its one of those standard test you can do immediately - as a DIY'er out there looking on a possible new bargain.
Note : works on the rear as well.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

AndersDK wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:Is this with the suspension on high, with the car on the ground, or with it up on stands?
Its one of those standard test you can do immediately - as a DIY'er out there looking on a possible new bargain.
OK, done that. TBH I was slightly sceptical, but it worked!! Now, just to identify that knock!

Basically it happens when the car gets to the bottom of the "bounce". It's a quick double knock. This is happening when pulling on the top of the wheel. You get the knock on both sides, slightly louder on the left hand side than the right.

Any ideas anyone?
deian

Post by deian »

i have those symptoms too... and vanny, i am gonna change my bottom engine mount too (as u already know from my thread), maybe it will help, if that sorts my clonks out i will leave the spheres, i may change all 4 spheres after the mount.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

LeeDJC wrote:
AndersDK wrote:
OK, done that. TBH I was slightly sceptical, but it worked!! Now, just to identify that knock!

Basically it happens when the car gets to the bottom of the "bounce". It's a quick double knock. This is happening when pulling on the top of the wheel. You get the knock on both sides, slightly louder on the left hand side than the right.

Any ideas anyone?
You didn't quite get my point then - as you only did half the job until now :lol:
You're supposed to persuade those indicating knocks/noises - by grapping on the lower control arm - the ARB - the driveaxle - etc. etc. one hand while rocking with the other hand.
Its dead easy :idea: You just have to practice a bit :wink:
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

AndersDK wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:
AndersDK wrote:Car in normal height & weight on wheels - i.e. engine idle.

Any ideas anyone?
You didn't quite get my point then - as you only did half the job until now :lol:
You're supposed to persuade those indicating knocks/noises - by grapping on the lower control arm - the ARB - the driveaxle - etc. etc. one hand while rocking with the other hand.
Its dead easy :idea: You just have to practice a bit :wink:
Aaaaahh. Got you. Sounds stupid not doing it now!! Will go out and try in a mo!