Common Scams Section

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Common Scams Section

Post by CitroJim »

That's really naughty Mick...

Steve, yes. all has to be very clearly displayed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 16:02 This is not a scam as such but I believe an attempt at 'extracting money with menaces' from the less careful motorists among us.

A few weeks ago I met my mate Bob for lunch at The Harvester in Garston. I drove into their side entrance and parked straight away and walked across to the veranda door. Bob's car was already in the car park so rather than wait to be attended to I went in search of him knowing he would be at a table. He was and I joined him for a very pleasant lunch. Afterwards I left and came home thinking no more about it.....
Mick, I recall you have "previous" with The Harvester and Car parking :-D recounted in the Parking Tales and Hassles Thread for the one at Croxley Green on that occasion.

viewtopic.php?p=702270#p702270

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Quite right Neil, well remembered. I posted this one here because it is more about the response and attitude of Eurocarparks than the actual PCN. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Recently I upgraded my mobile phone (I had to, as the battery on the old phone was increasing in girth). I am pleasantly surprised to find that, if the phone number calling me has been reported as a scam line, my new phone will automatically hang up once it gets the info on the incoming number (it has done this twice since I got it). Yes, it is a bit 'Big Brother' but in this case I approve.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 17:57 Recently I upgraded my mobile phone (I had to, as the battery on the old phone was increasing in girth). I am pleasantly surprised to find that, if the phone number calling me has been reported as a scam line, my new phone will automatically hang up once it gets the info on the incoming number (it has done this twice since I got it). Yes, it is a bit 'Big Brother' but in this case I approve.
I too appreciate this little bit of useful functionality. Both my phones are so equipped and have been for several years. My level of spam calls is vanishingly low as a result and if any do get through I block/report.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have a blocking app which is very good. I cannot remember the last time I had a spam call.on the mobile. We do get a fair few on the landline! :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Never had a spam call on a mobile and threw the landline phones out a dozen years since and have had the landline removed.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

How many of you have had this one? :-D
Screenshot
Screenshot
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No, one of the lovely things about my gmail. I hardly ever see scammy emails. In fact, I can't think I ever have... My Hotmail does occasionally, but not gmail...

That's a very poor effort... Looks nothing like the DVLA might send...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Had a similar one a while back. In the bin and flagged as spam.
Also a similar thing for the TV licence, a couple of days after it was paid (direct debit for both)
Since BT did a makeover of their email get a lot more spam. Too obviously services I would never use; off with their heads!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It always strikes me these scams, especially that 'DVLA' one, look very amateurish and crude. If I was was ever planning to be scammer I'd do all I could to look a lot more 'professional' in my attempts.

Still, whilst they look a bit like the work of a spotty youth hiding in his bedroom they are easy enough to spot - for the most part.

That DVLA one looks especially poor. It doesn't have the very well-known DVLA 'look' about it at all.
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Apple users should be aware of the latest 'MFA Bombing' attack.

It's where a user is suddenly spammed with official Apple password reset request notifications in quick succession.
MFA Bombing.png
This can sometimes result in a hundred or more requests - and you would have to say Don't Allow to all of them before you can use your device. If that fails, you may then get a call from 'Apple Support', which shows the correct telephone number (1-800-275-2273), but of course this has been 'spoofed' and is not from Apple as they never call custmers unless you have requested a call back support call.

It is believed that this mainly affects people with public profiles on social media, YouTubers and others that share their info on Social Media sites - but the breach seems to be from a 'People Data Labs' site that was hacked and this is where they are obtaining your phone number from which to call you pretending to be from Apple Support.
In 2019 two Security Researchers called Vinny Troia and Bob Diachenko first uncovered the PDL Data breach, and found that over a billion personal data records were easily accessible via an insecure server on the Dark Web. Part of the data in this breach was traced to People Data Labs of San Francisco (hence the acronym PDL), which is a data company that holds huge amounts of personal data for sale including more than a billion email addresses and phone numbers.
The vulnerability at present is with the Apple web page that allows a user to reset their password for the Apple ID account. The page uses CAPTCHA, which is supposed to prevent multiple requests being sent, but this seems to have been overcome somehow, allowing multiple reset requests to be sent out as per the picture above.

If you keep yourself to yourself and don't splatter all your details over the web, I suspect you won't get targeted, but it's better to be forewarned.

So unless you have specifically requested a password reset request yourself, do not click 'Allow' should you get any of these requests. The password reset notifications are of course officially from Apple, but not initiated by them, but from the hacker and don't answer any calls from Apple unless you are expecting one!

One of the best things you can do is to use a unique email for your AppleID that is not used anywhere else - that will prevent it from being obtained from any data breaches on any other website.

More details can be found here:

Recent ‘MFA Bombing’ Attacks Targeting Apple Users
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've had this a couple of times but only had to pay £1:50 each time.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think if the postman required me to pay a fiver for a letter I'd say "Take it back, I didn't send it or buy the dodgy stamp."
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

I’ve had the TV license scam, I now don’t have a TV license so they can do what they like now😄
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive