Hdi engines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Hdi engines

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The last one I had a problem with was the 2004 8 valve HDI, on that the belt had skipped a few teeth and smashed all the rockers because one of the belt idler wheels had collapsed.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Ian M france
My Cars: dispatch 2007 scudo 2005 discovery td5 freelander

Post by Ian M france »

Hi all just a up date injector removal tool arrived today so started to take out injector and did not need it, I have waited a week for it, and all came out with out needing it sods law, did not have a lot of time, got all the bolts out of rocker cover, but think the bolts that hold down camshaft also hold rocker cover and think I might have to take a bit more off, think it has been off before as one bolt not tighted and also some of the bolts had a red sealant up at the top and some had blue at bottom, anyone know what colour it is out of factory, hope the haynes arrives tomorrow as need to check if there is any other thing that needs to come off, will try and take some photos when I get it off
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

That's good that the injectors came out easily.

Did the exhaust camshaft look ok when you inspected it?

I stumbled upon this video where the guy mentions a camshaft disintegrating on the same engine (Also used in the Mk4 Mondeo)

It might be a possible reason as to the strange failure mode of your engine.
Last edited by myglaren on 03 Oct 2018, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Hi I have seen on the internet others talking about this happening, all looks okay but think I will have a good look at it when I get rocker cover off, like I say think rocker cover has being off before and would explain why injectors came out without problems, might look to see how much second hp pump would be, can not see why pump would lock up and then free off again but if I had been the guy in the video I would not have re fitted pump if it had already broken a camshaft but it is easy to sit here and say that, at the moment a lot of work on and trying to a little time to sort this
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Hi I have had bit of time today and got rocker cover off and all the rockers where broken, looked at pump and can not see any signs of damage, but slight wear on drive, can not work out why belt went, I have taken photos and will up load them when I work out how, there is some damage to one of the exhaust cams on no, 4 cylinder so think I will need to change camshaft, think engine has had problems before as not all bolts tight so could have happened before maybe, not sure if all valves are fully up also have not found all the bits of the rockers could spend a bit more time on it but think to be sure it is okay I will need to take head off, with the rockers, the gaskets if i take head off, new bolts, getting up to the price I can get used engine, which should be less of risk and I have all the bits off old engine to keep the van going, I tend to keep them as long as I can as if you work on them yourself it is a cheap way to work my vin no, is vf###RHKH######## so think i need RHK engine
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Please post your VIN in full, it is autmatically masked from public view by the Forum software (only staff can see it). Then we can confirm.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a guide to image posting here.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 06 Oct 2018, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the link to the image upload topic
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Looking forward to those pictures as I'm still a bit stumped as to how such a catastrophic failure could have occurred.

It might be worth checking if you could replace your RHK with a RHR as they're much more common. You'd have to check diagrams but I suspect they're identical save for the ECU map and perhaps engine mounts (which you could possibly swap over).
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

Hi my vin no; VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] many thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 19:40 There is a guide to image posting here.

:oops:
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

A question for fitting used engine, if I keep the existing ECU do I have to program the injectors into it as I think they are not all the same and have to be set up with ECU, for my td5 I had to put in the code that is on the injector and all where different, if I change the ECU does it have to be from a dispatch, if it was from a scudo would it work? years ago in i tried to get the local citroen dealer to do some diagnostics on my scudo with older 16v hdi engine in it and was told that there system would not talk to the fiat, if so will the ECU work? but could be untrue and he just did not want to do it
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Changing ECU's will be a pain as they are coded to the BSI of your van. I think you'd have to get a 'virgin' ECU or have the replacement one 'unlocked' somehow.

If you got hold of another engine, you could just put your old injectors in it then you could keep your old ECU too.
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

got all the injectors out so could change them if I can get the injectors out of replacement engine, would think it would not be that hard to reprogram ECU as injectors are something that can need changed from time to time, I got a nanocom to program my td5, can I get something to do the hdi engine without spending loads on it? If the engine was from a dispatch would the new ECU unit just plug straight in ?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

You'd need Diagbox (sometimes called Lexia) software to access the engine ECU to program the different injector codes.

As I say, each BSI and ECU are paired. If you put a new ECU on your van then the immobiliser in your old key wouldn't work with it, and neither would the BSI. I'm assuming you'd have to get the replacement ECU 'unlocked' so that it's not bothered by the wrong immobiliser or BSI.

Would be far easier to get hold of another engine and just pop your injectors in and keep the original ECU.
Ian M france

Post by Ian M france »

thanks EDC5 seams best option if I can get injectors out of new engine, from what I have read some times injectors just will not come out, but if I remove before fitting engine should be easier, think this is biggest problem I will have, only other thing is will my ECU talk to the fuel pump on new engine,I fitted a focus 1.8 diesel and had to take it to dealer to pair the two,