C5 Mk1 LX radio upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

C5 Mk1 LX radio upgrade

Post by KP »

My dads C5 Radio is, well, a bit naff by modern standards.

Has anyone upgraded one to include MP3 abilities or Dab at all and kept the upper display and remote control working?

I can see there are a fascia kits and adapters for the antenna and remote but nothing about the upper display. Is this because it uses that multiplex body wiring tat to send the info to the display?

Thanks,
Will
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: C5 Mk1 LX radio upgrade

Post by citroenxm »

Yes Will, C5 radios are display less on standard ones...

And when you replace a radio with another Factory type one you need a lexia session to tell the car, so it codes it to the car. Theres no physical code entry on them..

Im not sure what would happen if you fitted an after market one..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

An aftermarket one will only use its own display, I have never seen a C5 displaying information on its central screen from an aftermarket unit.

You can get a wire for some aftermarket radios which allow the use of the steering wheel mounted controls.

In our eldest C5 I have fitted a connects2, which allows the connection of ipods etc. I did look at aftermarket radios but decided they just look really naff. The C5 one goes with the dash and has all the functions which the car should have, I didn't see any reason to change it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I changed the stereo on mine for a Blaupunkt DAB52 that I've been using since 2005. I was advised to take the permanent and ignition feeds off the cigarette lighter sockets (handily one is permanent and one is ignition) because it would upset the car if I connected to the factory wiring. I passed that same advice on in another thread but other people said they had plugged straight in with no issues. I did buy an adapter to make the remote work on one car but it it didn't work to well so I didn't bother on the other cars.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thanks Guys :)

If there was a later model that did mp3 CDs even it would be worth it but I don't think there is a drop in one so moving the whole hog on will be the best course of action I reckon :)

Shame about not being able to get one to push up the the dash display but I guess it was inevitable, such is the march of supposed progress :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My first C5 had been fitted (badly) with a Blaupunkt radio, this was responsible for one of the faults that enabled me to buy the car very cheap, because it was connected by the exising leads it was sending a signal to the ECU about once a minute which was switching it on and causing the battery to go flat.

I have fitted a Sony that I took out of one of my XMs before it went on its way, that needed an adaptor lead to connect it to the C5 which left the vital signal pins disconnected and worked without a problem except that the memory was lost every time you turned the ignition off because the + switched and + permanent supplies were the wrong way round, I found on the adaptor lead they were both fitted with push connectors and can be easily swapped over, I think the wires are red and yellow but it will be obvious when you look at them.

The original Citroen/Peugeot radios don't seem to be a lot of good, none of the the three I have, one 406 and two C5s work on CD, I bought a secondhand replacement for the 406 and that didn't work either, well only occaisionly anyway.

You can get a fitting kit for an aftermarket radio on ebay for very little money.

Peter
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

For my installation I bought a generic wired ISO connector and only connected the three wires on the power side, for the speaker side I just used the car's own speaker plug.

The adaptor for the C5 is very good, it gives one of the neatest aftermarket installations I've seen, or at least it fits just as badly as the rest of the C5's dashboard. Apologies for poor picture.

The factory stereo in my dad's 2009 Peugeot 207 claims to play mp3 discs, that might be an option if anybody can confirm it's compatible with the C5.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

C5 radio should play mp3 discs - mine does but no sound comes from the speakers :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I'm pretty sure my dads doesn't though. Maybe its an early mk1 thing or an lx spec thing..
ej2095
My Cars:

Post by ej2095 »

Hmm i also got stock radio..

Will look into the connects2 also..

Had to laugh just looked at there page they are based aruond teh corner from me lol
C5 2.2 HDI Estate mk1 (With a anti theft fury dice device)