New (for us) C5 II petrol estate - queries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

triumphtoledo

New (for us) C5 II petrol estate - queries

Post by triumphtoledo »

Hooray. Wifey can stop 'destroying' my 2007 2.0HDI Exclusive! As of the weekend, she has her own C5 to play with.

She liked the toys of my car but wanted a petrol manual. As the C5 II Exclusive petrols were all autos, she has settled for an 05 plated VTR estate in red. A dented bonnet lets it down but for £1,850, with 61k on the clock, it was very well priced and the body is fine otherwise, with the exception of a few light scratches.

It has led a pampered life, apart from the last owner, who has let it go a bit over the last two years. Still, I am going to bring it back to its former glory.

If anyone knows of a red C5 II bonnet near the Midlands / Mid-South Wales direction, let me know... :)

Anyway, I have had a Lexia session on it and a few faults keep returning, which I hope the experts on here can advise on:

1. Code F8EB - 'Absence of + perm on display' - I believe this relates to the multifunction display but that works fine, with no missing dots etc. Can anyone clarify?

2. Code 0702 - 'Passenger humidity sensor not defined' - I presume this means the air con humidity sensor is dead. I checked the reading and it thinks the interior humidity is 32768%. Does anybody know where it is located? I presume this is different to the temperature sensor, situated next to the glovebox behind the small fascia vents.

3. Code 0157 - External temperature info. This tipped up 312 times, according to the log. It looks as though the passenger side mirror has had a clout, as a replacement glass is glued over the original. Yet, the external temp is displayed OK on the multifunction screen. Does the climate control take a reading from this sensor?

4. Oh and the passenger side mirror does not heat but I presume that is down to the damaged glass. Is the heater element within the glass or is it separate?

Any help is appreciated.

Rob
triumphtoledo

Re: New (for us) C5 II petrol estate - queries

Post by triumphtoledo »

Anybody know?

R
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

I only know one thing ... and this from the experience on my Saab.
Regarding the heated mirror and the cheap glued on glass, I would not even bother looking on the heating element (even if it works) it will take 4-5 times longer to heat up an area of about 20% the size of the glass.
Best way forward would be to replace the brocken/glued glass with a normal one if it can be easily removed etc... someone correct me?

Vasilis.
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Climate control uses a combination of interior/exterior sensors to work out ambient interior temp. If one of the sensors is screwed you'll get fault codes and also climate control doing strange things. If the exterior temp sensor is reading ok then its probably the interior humidity sensor thats causing the fault code. I know the earlier models have a sensor in the rear of the rear view mirror, have a look for a small grill behind yours to confirm this.

Hope this helps, Andy
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

I think there is a sensor in the middle just under the dials of the climate control? it has some sort grill there...
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Thanks as always for your advice and support. I thought I should give a bit back, by explaining how I have got on, hoping that it may help somebody else.

I managed to treat the car to a service. Oil, oil, air, pollen filters and a decent clean.

I also dismantled the nearside mirror, took the cover off. It turns out the original mirror was smashed and someone glued another one over it. I replaced it with a new item. It turns out that the heater element is buried within the glass, so changing the glass solved the problem. and it works, after been tested with Lexia.

The issue of the external temperature sensor was solved by buying a new one from Citroen (£24+VAT). I had to solder the new item onto the wiring loom but no more errors from the Lexia. (Part no 6445.F9)

The humidity sensor problem was traced to the sensor behind the three slots on the fascia, just next to the glovebox (it's a C5 II). This unit is a combined temp and humidity sensor. It was gunked up pretty badly and its circuit board was corroded. A new part was £41.12+VAT but at least the climate control now works perfectly. The humidity, when tested, was around 28%, compared to the 32,678% recorded by the old one. (part number 6445.VC)

I still have not solved what Code F8EB - 'Absence of + perm on display' means, as that is the only fault that keeps coming up.

Otherwise, wifey wanted the interior grab handles to be replaced, as they are made from plastic that is coated in some kind of rubber membrane. The door handle covers are about £15+VAT each.

A few other jobs are left but I'll update you as I go; hopefully with some pics...

R