Xantia still not smooth! **FIXED**

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cc101

Re: Xantia still not smooth! **FIXED**

Post by cc101 »

Fitted Doseur valve today, bled brakes and instantly the grabbing had gone and brake pedal felt completely different, bit like a normal brake pedal! Also I posted a while ago that the brakes were sort of jerking when braking in reverse, felt like calipers were loose, that's now fixed too! Ride is a lot better, I just need to fettle the ride height a tad for it to be spot on!

So after changing/greasing most bits it turned out to be the Doseur valve!

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Chris... Well dome, that's not an easy job at all...

Now that's a new one for the book! Dosuers are normally very reliable and it would be good to know what the problem was.

I'd suspect crud in the bypass channels was preventing the calipers being open to the functional return to the reservoir when the dosuer was released. The bypass channels are there to vent any residual pressure in the calipers to atmosphere effectively and if they are blocked or otherwise obstructed the calipers will tend to bind on and do funny things...

Good work sir =D>
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Cheers Jim was a very fiddly job, I found the most difficult part was putting the hydraulic pipes back in and done up, the left side rubber pipe going into the Doseur split on the shoulder when getting it off so had to cut about 1.5cm off it which made it real hard to put back on due to the t-section in it getting snagged on the Doseur! Will strip down the old one and take a look!

Chris.
cc101

Re: Xantia still not smooth! **FIXED**ARRRGGHH!

Post by cc101 »

Hi all, the car is misbehaving again, the brakes are still spot on after changing the Doseur valve but the ride seems to have got very harsh over potholes and jolts you! When you turn the car off the front sinks quite quickly within half hour but the back remains normal for a few hours, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm now at my witts end! :shock:

Cheers, Chris.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I seem to remember somebody mentionning that When the xantia first entered the british Market the drivers complained of a sea-sick feeling and Citroen modified the front suspension somehow stiffenning the front struts for a less bouncey ride. I have asked Martin @ Pleiades if there is anything I can do to return my Xantia to that bouncey citroen ride effect and I think but cannot remember for sure that he may have suggested fitting spheres from a earlier different model, the advertised citroen ride comes back when all six spheres are replaced with new ones but not for long within two or three days the ride seems harsh again, running on a full tank of diesel makes the rear end seem softer than say half a tank of fuel putting a couple of bags of sand in the boot also makes the ride much better. try some regular citroen aerobics every week raise the suspension and lower it about five times it improoves the ride no end in my 1.9td estate.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I don't know a vast amount about Citroen hydraulics so learning plenty from everyone on here! I'm not sure whether it's worn cylinders but the car is very soft when you bounce it front and rear, also I'm not sure whether there's internal leakage somewhere,don't know enough about the internals yet!

Cheers, Chris.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

I have a sinker too and it tends to lower at the back quicker but usually only if it has a full-ish fuel tank. Generally the front starts dropping after about an hour too so yours isn't too bad. It depends also on things like how much weight came out the car (i.e how many passengers) and the height the ride is trimmed to, also, the sphere pressue, damper and volume can affect the descend rate due to the volume of LHM holding it up being different for different pressure of spheres. Mine sinks faster on the standard Xantia 1.9 TD spheres it's meant to have but with CX turbo spheres up front and Xantia non-turbo ones at the rear, mine stays up longer.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi