C5 wont start, BSI fault?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peachy5860

C5 wont start, BSI fault?

Post by Peachy5860 »

Hi,

I have a 2001 Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi which I am unable to start. When I turn the key it cranks but it refuses to start. I have changed the battery in the key and also the immobiliser transponder aerial because I was advised that this was a good place to start, however the problem persists.

I have now purchased a Lexia (chinese clone) and hooked it up to my car. There are several faults which seem to all relate back to the BSI, however the fault with the BSI ecu itself is:

Permanent Fault
Communication fault with the switch module at the steering wheel

Is anyone able to help me diagnose what the problem could be? [-o<

Cheers

P.S. A few other bits to mention... when I open the drivers door the rear windscreen wiper starts, pressing the buttons on the key fob doesn't do anything, the suspension is on the bump stops (although this happened before the car refused to start). I'm sure there are others but can't think of them right now.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: C5 wont start, BSI fault?

Post by spider »

Although you've had the Lexia connected etc, I'd start with a BSi reset in case that's having one of its moments ( ! ) , then try a fresh diagnosis session with the Lexia again.

Say if you do not know how to do a safe BSi reset.

Just suggesting the reset simply because of what you mentioned about the wipers.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peachy5860

Post by Peachy5860 »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I have tried a bsi reset however I'm not sure I can do it properly because none of the windows work, which is one of the steps of the reset. I have been able to lower the rear window using the Lexia (couldn't find an option to lower the front) and could just about reach the sidelights and ignition but I'm not sure if it has to be the front window.

Another thing to mention is that the side lights and brake lights are on permanently when i turn the ignition on.

Is there a sign I can look for to tell whether the bsi reset has been completed successfully? I've also read the connecting the positive and negative battery cables for varying times could help? I've tried connecting them for a short period (about a minute) and it didn't help. Is it worth me connecting them for longer?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rich
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I don't think the window matters much - it's just a way of reaching the switch without opening a door, which would require BSI activity.
A minute should be more than adequate time to discharge any capacitors in the BSI module.
You can tell when the BSI is reset - the central locking button indicator flashes while it's rebooting, and stops when it's ready.
Not sure if the transponder is linked to the Comms 2000 unit; if so, that might be where the problem lies, as they're not known for reliability.
Does the screen actually show 'Immobiliser Fault' or similar when you try and start?
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Just try recoding the keys , what happened in the first place , removing the car battery or it dying can cause bother , any work done on the car like new clutch?
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peachy5860

Post by Peachy5860 »

At first it displayed Immobiliser Fault and Automatic Gearbox fault, however i haven't seen these lately. I think all it says now is Economy Mode Active.

I considered the Com2000 unit but I want to check all the simpler (cheaper) options first. Spending that money on something that may or may not fix it is something I'd like to leave until I have no other choices.

I tried recoding the key via the Lexia, however it gets a little way through and then says communication error. I haven't changed the battery in the key, I suppose it may be worth doing that and trying again?

How it all started is as follows:

I took the car to garage for MOT. It passed, but when I picked it up the garage told me that the suspension had lowered all the way to the bump stops and wouldn't go back up. I drove it home (very interesting! :lol: ), parked it in the drive, left it a couple of days while i found some lds fluid for the suspension and then it wouldn't start. It's been a while since I've been able to use it so the battery has dies several times in the process and I've taken it out to charge it up. Would the battery dying/being taken out cause it to not start?

Cheers
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Peachy5860 wrote: but when I picked it up the garage told me that the suspension had lowered all the way to the bump stops and wouldn't go back up.
Could it be that they jacked it up without raising the suspension first?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peachy5860

Post by Peachy5860 »

Its more than likely, they didn't seem to know much at all about Citroens. What woudl that mean if they did?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Peachy5860 wrote: What woudl that mean if they did?
Unlike the BX and Xantias, the C5 handbook warns that the suspension should be on high before jacking up. Failure to do it sometimes causes the suspension pump to malfunction. Although I take my four vehicles to the same centre every year, I always remind the guy to raise the C5 before jacking it up.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1