C5 interior light draining issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrismkz
New User

C5 interior light draining issue

Post by chrismkz »

I have a 2005 Citroen C5 2.2 VTR diesel. The car has had a slow drain on the battery which we have discovered is probably due to a number of small, interior lights remaining on after the ignition has been switched off. The lights in question include the those that illuminate the heater controls, the cigar lighter, the interior of the CD player and the (auto) gearshift.

Does anyone on the forum know what may cause this and how it may be remedied. My local (non Citroen) garage is trying to sort this, but any thoughts will be helpful.

By the way, the battery was replaced very recently, as we originally thought it was a battery problem (hadn't noticed the lights at the time). Alternator charging fine.

Many thanks
Chris
Ralfie

Re: C5 interior light draining issue

Post by Ralfie »

Not sure if this is a lights issue. I have a battery drain too, but not discovered what it is. Takes 10 days to flatten the battery.
It may be connected to the hydraulic suspension, and have been told the lowest level prevents this. Still testing this one.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

With the door open, turn off the interior lights with the middle button of the front ceiling light.
Close the door and re-open to check that all lights are out.
If not, open the bonnet, close all doors and windows except for the driver’s window, and take the key out.
Wait a few minutes without touching anything, then disconnect the battery.
Leave disconnected for another few minutes, then reconnect and leave for another few minutes without touching anything.
After that, put the key in through the open window and turn it to the first stop.
Let it make sounds and clicks, then open the door to check the lights.
If they’re still there, look up a Lexia member, there’s a list of them somewhere here, but can’t find it now.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Ralfie

Post by Ralfie »

Clogzz wrote:With the door open, turn off the interior lights with the middle button of the front ceiling light.
Close the door and re-open to check that all lights are out..

I know you are replying to the above, but mine is not a lights issue (I too thought my issue might be just me leaving things on, for a long time, but it is not.)

I can turn the car off and lock the doors (car looks dead), then disconnect the battery and the drain on the battery looks large (no ammeter, but lots of sparks - with the car all off and dead). So we must be talking quite a few milliamps, to spark like that.

So what is draining? Well, the car alarm is obviously on to function, and disconnecting the battery often turns the alarm on (cannot find the fuse to isolate the alarm, as the manual does not give the number for it). The hydraulics are doing something, because when I reconnect, you can hear the electric hydraulic pump. And there is a clicking sound in the induction area, behind the engine. There is also a factory-fittted hands-free telephone, which again I cannot find a fuse for, I would like to disconnect this because I never use the thing anyway.

But the battery drain should not be so large, to discharge the battery so quickly (new battery, charging system fine.)
It takes about 10 days to 3 weeks to drain, depending on the temperature (I suppose).
And I do disconnect the satnav and ensure the radio is off, as I did suspect these.

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Don't try and draw sparks to diagnose the problem!
Apart from the explosion risk, there's a real chance that you'll corrupt one or more of the ECUs, which means big trouble :shock:

There are quite a few bits and pieces operating when the ignition's first switched off, but most should shut down when the car enters economy mode. Is economy mode being activated? Easy way to check is to see if the radio works when the ignition's been off for a while.
Ralfie

Post by Ralfie »

dnsey wrote:
Don't try and draw sparks to diagnose the problem!
Apart from the explosion risk, there's a real chance that you'll corrupt one or more of the ECUs, which means big trouble :shock:

There are quite a few bits and pieces operating when the ignition's first switched off, but most should shut down when the car enters economy mode. Is economy mode being activated? Easy way to check is to see if the radio works when the ignition's been off for a while.
'tis a diesel - but I see what you mean about the electronics.

How long does it take to go into economy? I'll have to get an ammeter, and try again.

Thanks.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The explosion risk is from hydrogen emitted by the battery.
Time for economy mode to kick in seems to vary a lot from car to car (I believe it can be set via Lexia, but it doesn't always do as it's told). My manual claims 30 minutes, so allow an hour, and that should be plenty.
Ralfie

Post by Ralfie »

dnsey wrote:The explosion risk is from hydrogen emitted by the battery.
Time for economy mode to kick in seems to vary a lot from car to car (I believe it can be set via Lexia, but it doesn't always do as it's told). My manual claims 30 minutes, so allow an hour, and that should be plenty.

Ahh, well, I did nothing like that. I just waited until the mileometer light extinguished, as that seemed like the last lamp. I'll try again.

Thanks.
lukkis
My Cars:

Post by lukkis »

The car goes into a sleep mode within a few minutes, and in economy mode in about 30 minutes depending on the battery. The car is taking quite a lot of power even if ignition is turned off until it shuts down the BSI and other computers. How about the grounds? If memory is correct, I had some draining problems due "dirty" grounding with one car? Combine this with the quick release battery poles (getting loose as time goes by) there might be some problems.
Well, just my five pennies ;)