C5 - flashing alarm and door lock buttons :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timborob
My Cars:

C5 - flashing alarm and door lock buttons :(

Post by timborob »

Hi All

I decided to change my original radio for a new DVD type
and all went well and fitted but as I locked the door the radio came back on
and then off in around 1 minute.
I now have both fast flashing (once per second) Alarm and Door buttons which have remain in that state for the past few hours.
I know the alarm suppose to flash but i did not think or notice it was this fast
before and never seen the door button continuously flash

I just took the radio out incase that was the problem but its still doing the same.
Any ideas what's happening here?
I expect if it continues my battery will soon go flat.

Any help much appreciated to what this flashing of both lights at the sametime could mean.
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you disconect the battery whilst fitting the radio,

because on a XANT on reconecting a battery the head lamps will flash continuasly, the fix on the XANT for that is turn the ignition on and within a couple of second press and ho;ld the volumetric alarm button till the head lamps stop flashing,

regards malcolm
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

citronut wrote:did you disconect the battery whilst fitting the radio,

because on a XANT on reconecting a battery the head lamps will flash continuasly, the fix on the XANT for that is turn the ignition on and within a couple of second press and ho;ld the volumetric alarm button till the head lamps stop flashing,

regards malcolm
Hi Malcolm

No I did not disconnect battery whilst fitting
I have fitted many new radios with the 2 ISO connection fittings in the past without need to disconnect it nd without problem.
maybe its was wrong of me to do it on the C5?
:oops:

I know the Alarm button should flash occasionally but not every second is it?, I haven't really stood round to see as am usually walking away from the car by then.

I also have never seen the unlocking door flashing as it is, A have reopened and close all the doors again.

Is it just coincidence i have a door problem now or just by putting a new stereo in has that caused it?

I will try to call the local dealer to see if they have any knowledge
Regards
Tim

timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

I have called up local Citroen dealer and told C5's do not like aftermarket radios and will have to investigate further and Diagnose is from £65 +
:(

Any other advice appreciated while I call around Indy dealers etc
and looks like it will need to go on a Lexia to check error codes and someone with experience on it.
Regards
Tim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The lock light flashes while the system is rebooting, but IME rather faster than 1 Hz.
It's worth disconnecting your new radio and performing a system reset before spending money on diagnostics.
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

dnsey wrote:The lock light flashes while the system is rebooting, but IME rather faster than 1 Hz.
It's worth disconnecting your new radio and performing a system reset before spending money on diagnostics.
Hi dnsey

I have already removed the radio and still getting flashing lights
on both sides.

How do I do a system reset then?

Now its still light i will disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect to see if that helps?
Regards
Tim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

i will disconnect the battery for a minute
That will reset the system but note:

Leave the key in the ignition throughout, with the driver's window open for access.

Leave the ignition off for at least 5 minutes before disconnecting. Do not open doors etc during this time.

Once the battery is disconnected, short together the battery leads to discharge the ECU's storage capacitors.

Once the battery is reconnected, allow five minutes for the system to boot before attempting to switch on / start the car. If you get an 'immobiliser fault' warning, wait a bit longer.
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

dnsey wrote:
i will disconnect the battery for a minute
That will reset the system but note:

Leave the key in the ignition throughout, with the driver's window open for access.

Leave the ignition off for at least 5 minutes before disconnecting. Do not open doors etc during this time.

Once the battery is disconnected, short together the battery leads to discharge the ECU's storage capacitors.

Once the battery is reconnected, allow five minutes for the system to boot before attempting to switch on / start the car. If you get an 'immobiliser fault' warning, wait a bit longer.
Hi again

Thanks again for your reply
as you said on the earlier reply it looks like the light is flashing faster
and more like 2 times per second.

I did not get time to disconnect the battery tonight and will do it tomorrow
afternoon.

Hmmm... everything sounds great apart from the shorting of the battery leads
:?

Won't the ECU discharge itself then in time as wouldn't want to damage that.
Regards
Tim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes, it will, but if you prefer to do it that way I'd give it a couple of hours to do so.
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

dnsey wrote:
Yes, it will, but if you prefer to do it that way I'd give it a couple of hours to do so.
Well I managed to do a reset as per dsney instructions including the shorting
of the terminals (after reading elsewhere in several places it was usual practice ) and I'm still getting both lights flashing
:?

Are they both supposed to be doing this and I just never noticed before?
could other C5 owners check this out for me please.

One strange thing with the new unit is when i enter the car it turns itself
on.
It also turns itself back on and off briefly after turning it off by the button on the radio when i reopen the door to leave the car.

I take it this is to do with Economy mode.

The unit i fitted is a Clarion VZ409E, As the original Radio is made by Clarion I would have thought it would be compatible with the C5?

Any further help appreciated
Should i be worrying about the lights as the car is deadlocked up?
Regards
Tim

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just because the C5 has ISO connectors doesent mean that aftermarket radios are plug & play, they are not wired up like normal ISO plugs.
Any aftermarket radio can be wired into a C5 without the need for Lexia reprograming. Only three wires on the power block of the new radio should be connected to the car, Battery live, ignition live & earth. Only the battery live & earth can be found at the ISO plug, the ignition live should be sourced elsewhere like the fag lighter. There is no ignition live at the ISO plug on the car only a VAN+ feed which goes live when the network is 'awake' hence the reason it switched on when you unlock the car. If any of the multiplex data wires from the car are wired into the aftermarket radio you can end up with loads of strange electrical problems especially with the displays & central locking.
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

wheeler wrote:Just because the C5 has ISO connectors doesent mean that aftermarket radios are plug & play, they are not wired up like normal ISO plugs.
Any aftermarket radio can be wired into a C5 without the need for Lexia reprograming. Only three wires on the power block of the new radio should be connected to the car, Battery live, ignition live & earth. Only the battery live & earth can be found at the ISO plug, the ignition live should be sourced elsewhere like the fag lighter. There is no ignition live at the ISO plug on the car only a VAN+ feed which goes live when the network is 'awake' hence the reason it switched on when you unlock the car. If any of the multiplex data wires from the car are wired into the aftermarket radio you can end up with loads of strange electrical problems especially with the displays & central locking.
Thanks for the reply wheeler,

I know I have a diagram of the Clarion wiring so will have to try and match up with Citroen with it and change things around if I see a difference.

The last night I got back into the car it did not turn back on which surprised me.

Will investigate further and change as needed as this radio is staying as invested £250 in it and the original does not do MP3 and kept losing its stations too.
Regards
Tim