c8 broken down and won't start ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

c8 broken down and won't start ?

Post by johntom »

Hi
my neighbour's 54reg C8 broke down on the motorway and had to be towed home. A local mechanic with lexia found a 'camshaft sensor' fault code so the sensor was replaced with new, however the car still won't start and the code remains ?
any ideas ?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A faulty camshaft sensor wont cause the car to cut out while the engine is running.
Is the timing belt in tact or has the timing belt jumped as that will also cause a cam sensor fault to log.
johntom

Post by johntom »

many thanks
will look at that and report back.
alden
My Cars:

c8 start up prob

Post by alden »

Hi
If the car wont turn over then
Check fuse box second one down 20amp, :roll:
I say this because our c8 keeps blowing this fuse which takes out the starter circuit. :evil: I have yet to suss out why :twisted:
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Hehe I'd seriously question the skills of a mechanic if he could replace a cam sensor without noticing the timing belt was broken :lol:
The theory that the belt has jumped could be a winner; although I've seen cars start when they're out of time, they run awfully but they still start. Perhaps it's skipped a lot of teeth.
Maybe a tensioner has gone or something.

What sort of engine has it got?

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Chlorate wrote:Hehe I'd seriously question the skills of a mechanic if he could replace a cam sensor without noticing the timing belt was broken :lol:
The cam sensor is on the top of the engine & you cant see the belt when you remove it so replacing the cam sensor you wouldnt notice anything wrong. Only takes seconds to change the sensor.
johntom

Post by johntom »

hi
my neighbour had the C8 towed into the local main dealer only to find the cam belt snapped ! Cost to fit recon engine £6500 or £10k new !!! The car had done 80k with fsh.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

If you do a google search, you will find loads of C8 early belt snap stories.

On the plus side, you will most likely find that it is only the rockers that have bust, but on the minus side, you have to take the engine out to get the rocker box off.

Regards.
Martin.