xsara picasso dash lights?? what went wrong??? help please??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

xsara picasso dash lights?? what went wrong??? help please??

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
thanks to the guys who advised me on changing the dash bulbs on my picasso..it's an o2 plate, did everything as instructed, easy job once i figured out how to unplug the blue plug in the back left side and the black one in the right back side.Anyway,the bulbs were a bit dim on the left(speedo,coolant temp etc) right hand side was fine, anyway,changed bulbs and it really good now,BUT the problem is the right hand lcd display is completely blank now. I have taken out the console again and made sure the black plug into the back is in properly,and it is,done this a few times,but nothing,all bulbs are ok so what went wrong? only thing i can now think of is a fuse maybe?? HELP please?? left side lit up lovely now but right side telling me low fuel,doors open,radio,etc completely blank???
cheers,dean
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I would guess the LCD has the same 'twist' bulbs too.

What happens is they do not always make contact on their tracks if you turn them fully.

I bet if you turned the bulb holder about a degree or two it will work. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

problem is I never changed any of those bubs on the right hand side of the display? surely one or two would still be lit,but nothing??
spider

Post by spider »

I'm not familiar with it or this model at all, I'll be honest.

However what you describe 'does' happen.

Its possible the bulb on the right side has failed though.

If you (only works in daylight!) shine a torch at it you will see it working usually.

I have seen what you describe happen to 307's though with their multifunction display panel. It does appear 'dead' if a bulb goes as without that there is no way for it to be illuminated, light will only pass from the 'back' forwards, if that makes sense. :)
Andy.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, LCD displays are backlit usually by the same type of bulb, the chances are the lamp has failed, likely due to the vibration of you removing the panel.

Peter
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

One of the buttons on the actual panel switches off part of the display & sort of puts it into a night time mode with only the speed & (possibly) fuel still displayed all the time,one or two other things might also be lit all the time but the radio display wont be, check you haven't inadvertently pressed this button, i don't recall exactly what the button symbol is but its NOT the one with all the 000's on it, you might also wanna check the rheostat switches on the dash which are used to brighten/dim the display (near cubby hole storage on r/h/s off steering column). I think this 'night mode' can be operated via the switches on the steering wheel too, press a few of the aforementioned buttons with the ignition in each mode (inc' engine running) & see how you get on. If this doesn't work I'd be having a close look at the tiny pins in the back of the unit & check none are broke, check the two plugs too.
Music keeps me going.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well,
thanks for the info guys..looks like moving the lcd dash out might have blown all the bulbs,didnt think it possible,(about 4)..put new bulbs in and all is well,as for my previous post re broken spring,or the possibility of it being that,it is going into the garage on thursday and I am trying to avoid as much as poss driving it till then...cheers,dean..
spider

Post by spider »

Good to hear its (the LCD) working Image
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia dashes are terrible in my experience for blowing otherwise working bulbs when disturbed :twisted:

I always tend to replace them all nowadays and test each before installing them.

Any that look a bit discoloured are almost guaranteed to fail when disturbed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

I would agree. I used to do a lot of 406 heater panel bulbs (the climate / digital one) , it had a lot of bulbs in it.

If you just changed two or three, you could bet when it was put back together either another one would be out or that would happen soon after.

Given the 'cost' was taking it out in the first place (switches out etc) it was far easier to change all the bulbs as the difference in cost was very small.

For something that's quick and easy to do, it does not matter that much I guess, but if you factor in say 30 minutes labour costs it soon adds up.

I guess you could say this is the same as changing brake shoes and one (leaking) wheel cylinder. If the other side is of a similar age, it would be silly to not replace it at the same time as its bound to follow its opposite number and start leaking. Just a random example.
Andy.