Citroen C5 reverse lights not working reverse light switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

galonki
My Cars:

Citroen C5 reverse lights not working reverse light switch

Post by galonki »

Hi, i have a 2004 Citroen C5 mk1, 2.0hdi 110.
A couple of weeks ago my reverse lights stopped working when car is engaged into reverse.
So, i checked bulbs ( all good ). I checked fuses ( all good ).
I checked for any obvious other symptoms eg unplugged wires. ( all good ).

Then done research into issue, and think its most likely Reverse light switch gone faulty.

I know its located next to gearbox.

Tried to get to it from inside of the car but did not get very far, removed gaitor and saw that i cannot go any further unless you disassemble all plastics surrounding it.

Then i left it for some time.

A couple of times very very rarily i noticed reverse lights would come on
after engaging into reverse gear and it grabbed my attention because the beep sounded when i put it into reverse. After going back to neutral and trying to engage the gear again the reverse lights would stay off.

So, from this i am certain that fuses are ok, bulbs are ok.

Something is probably wrong with reverse light switch which i could check and change.

But i do not know how to get to it.

If anyone can tell me how to reach the reverse light switch ( the best easiest method ) it would be much appreciated.

Please describe in as much detail as possible what i need to take off and in what order.

The first time i got confused is when i pulled out by force the gear levers little silver top and saw that the screw was holding it from the other side.
( how are you ment to unscrew if the gear levers cap screw is screwed in from the otherside).

But main question is simple?

How do i get to and change the reverse light switch?

Thank you so much.

( tried looking under bonnet could not see any easy access and tried looking under the car ).
wheels nut
My Cars:

Post by wheels nut »

The reverse light switch is situated on top of the gearbox assuming this is not an automatic box and is accessible from under the bonnet... it should be quite easy to spot...it is a long time since I changed one so I cannot be sure as to what you need to remove I can tell you that the Citroen part number is 225753 and should cost around £7.80 including Vat from a Citroen agent. It should also be the same as a Peugeot part if you live near a dealer.

Try looking under the air filter housing that may be blocking your view of the top of the gearbox
galonki
My Cars:

all sorted and fixed now.

Post by galonki »

thanks for your help, watched mechanic check it for me to confirm fault then went shop bought part, went home fitted in 30min + 30min to go b n q to buy 23mm wrench tube. .

it was the reverse light switch as expected.

so to all people having same problem: reverse light not working citroen c5 2003 2.0 hdi. or similar. (manual gearbox).

open bonnet.
on the left of the battery position there is a big black block with big pipe coming to it. take off the 1 holder at the top of the pipe and slip pipe off.
then the big black block (air filter) lifts up and out.
underneath you will now see the gearbox and screwed into it the Switch.

take switch out.
screw new one in.

cable which goes into switch is plug n play.

good luck.

easy job will not brake anything.

to be sure its the switch:
1. check bulb/ try new bulb
2. check fuse

3. when unplug the cable from ontop of switch, it has two holes one + charge and one - charge.

simply take piece of cable, take off little bit from each end then
short circuit the + and - and reverse lights should come on.

you dont have to do the checking before changing part but just in case you want to be 100% before buying £15 part.

best place to buy: eurocarparts

citroen: ripp off.

if you like this post. thank me.
breagha20
New User

Re: Citroen C5 reverse lights not working reverse light swit

Post by breagha20 »

Hi, saw this post and it applies to me too. My recently purchased C5, 52 plate has stopped bleeping and has no reverse lights. I want to be able to check the fuse before I go to the new switch stage, but not having the manual isn't helpful. Can anyone help? :roll:
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Welcome breaha20.

Sorry I can't help with the fuse location.
However I would hazard a guess that the beep is not controlled by the same fuse as the lights. This does suggest a faulty switch, but like you I would want to make certain.

I would try as described in the previous post and short the 2 terminals on the switch connector to make sure.

PS: I don't think Galonki's descriptions of the pins in the connector (+ and - charge) are accurate, unless it's a language thing (I only know one), but thank you anyway Galonki, it was a helpful post.
Last edited by miked on 20 Aug 2013, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

According to the handbook it's F1 in the engine fusebox

http://stempy.dnsdojo.net/~stempy/Citro ... ed/132.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

breagha20 wrote:Hi, saw this post and it applies to me too. My recently purchased C5, 52 plate has stopped bleeping and has no reverse lights. I want to be able to check the fuse before I go to the new switch stage, but not having the manual isn't helpful. Can anyone help? :roll:
When mine did that it was the reversing light swich in the gearbox.
Disconnect and short the connector to test it.
New switch is about £13.
breagha20
New User

Post by breagha20 »

Thanks to all for ure help, will pass this info to my hubby, who has the unwanted job of trying to fix it lol