C8 2004 2.2 HDI Limp Mode ??? Lost Power Help Plz

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukheman

C8 2004 2.2 HDI Limp Mode ??? Lost Power Help Plz

Post by ukheman »

Hi I have a 2004 C8 2.2 HDI; when I start the engine the revs struggle to increase sometimes I cannot rev over 3000 rpm
If I disconnect the battery or even leave idle. It will eventually rev up to 5000 rpm stationary.
The engine warning lamp is now permanently on, when I drive the car has no power like in limp mode. I do get the error message diesel filter blocked.
I cannot drive up a steep hill.
I have done an scan and the faults so far :
Permanent Fault
Exhaust Differential Pressure Signal. Differential Signal Coherence when stationary
Remote Fault
Permanent Fault
Fuel Additive System. Fault : Fuel Filler Cap Presence Sensor
Can someone suggest any fixes for me as im new to the Citroen Scene.
Thanks
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Guessing you PAF needs cleaning/replacing and maybe Eolys needs topping up.
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

Rob, never done this before ? but i got the Lexia Software. Can i do a reset through this... also read if i disconnect the exhaust sensor the engine management light should stay on but will allow me to by pass the fault on the sensor ? have you had any experience in this..

Thanks
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

ukheman wrote:Rob, never done this before ? but i got the Lexia Software. Can i do a reset through this... also read if i disconnect the exhaust sensor the engine management light should stay on but will allow me to by pass the fault on the sensor ? have you had any experience in this..

Thanks
The FAP is blocked and that is a permanent LIMP fault.
You need to clean / replace the FAP before you do anything else.
Yes there are ways of fooling the ECU but that won't alter the fact that your exhaust is blocked.

Having a Lexia is good that will allow you to reset the ECU FAP counter when you clean /replace it, will also allow you to see just how much Eolys you have left in the tank which may also need topping up.

Edit

cachaciero
Last edited by cachaciero on 13 May 2010, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

okay ill do this tonight when i get back from work

i have ordered a workshop manual in the meantime

if you have a link or another thread on how i can remove the filter clean it

and also top it back up ..got itchy fingers and want to get this done.

hence filter locations, differential sensor and tank locations... that would be

a great help

thanks
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

ukheman wrote:okay ill do this tonight when i get back from work

i have ordered a workshop manual in the meantime

if you have a link or another thread on how i can remove the filter clean it

and also top it back up ..got itchy fingers and want to get this done.

hence filter locations, differential sensor and tank locations... that would be

a great help

thanks
Well I don't know the C8 but I doubt that it is much different to the C5. You can't really mistake the FAP it's a very large diameter piece of pipe which bolts onto the catalyser on a four bolt flange. There are a couple of sensor pipes which will need disconnecting make sure you know which goes where.

As regards cleaning the FAP, well some claim to have luck with a pressure washer but personally I have doubts about just how clean you will get using a pressure water and technically you need to collect the run off and dispose of it properly, shouldn't be allowed to run into drains. Anyway a search on here and on the web generally will bring up several references to this subject. My personal take is that you should be able to get an exchange unit for circa £200.00 I know it's a "hit" but it's only every 60000 miles or so.

Edit
I notice that in your original post the scan showed that you had a cap sensor fault, the system uses this to detect when fuel has been added. This may mean that the system has not been injecting any eolys into the fuel which in turn will lead to the FAP choking up with carbon much quicker than it would other wise do. So it is possible that your FAP is not just choked up with Cerine and ash as it would be at end of life but also a substantial amount of carbon.

You need to get that fixed the proper cap should have a magnet in it which actuates a sensor adjacent to the filler neck.

cachaciero
Last edited by cachaciero on 13 May 2010, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

hello, the particle filter is attached to the catalytic converter, if you look under the car where the exhaust comes from manifold down it goes into a large section the first of which is the cat, 4 bolts then connect that to the FAP then i believe it is a clamp going onto the rest of the exhaust system. undo the 4 bolts and remove the clamp, take out the FAP and most people flush it through with a jet washer to remove most of the solid build up. unfortunately what you flush out is toxic so should not be flushed down the drain. or you can get a replacement, i think i saw on ebay for about £150 ish.
found this pic
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/ ... 0_2025.jpg
why oh why did i buy a C5.
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

what about the additive tank where is that located on a C8 ? and how much fluid should i add...

since i am not getting the fault code relating to the level .. how do i know there is no fluid left in the reservoir ?

thanks
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

also i am using the lexia tool, which function do i need to select to reset the additive level ...
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

ukheman wrote:what about the additive tank where is that located on a C8 ? and how much fluid should i add...

since i am not getting the fault code relating to the level .. how do i know there is no fluid left in the reservoir ?

thanks
If you have access to a lexia then the level of the fluid can be read by going into the 'Diesel additive ecu', if you cars done a high milage then it's probably going to need refilling anyway (early models need it around 75k, later ones around 100k, i think, not too sure about the latter one). Where are you getting the fluid from? make sure you get the correct one for your car, there are two types, DPX 42 & 176, if you goto a main agent they will probably need the full chassis number & the RP number, note, this fluid is not particularly cheap & if your car is low on fluid you'll need the larger bottle (approx 4.5litres) + all the pipes & stuff it comes with. As for the actual tank, it's underneath the vehicle in front of the left rear wheel.
Music keeps me going.
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

okay did a force regeneration .. and guess what the car drives alot better now...

but now got a new problem

had the car up on ramp late last nite and noticed slightly to the right and front of the particulate filter there are 2 pipes .. and coolant leaking around 1 pipe .. also noticed a cover plate that these pipes clip against ..water dripping from there 2.. don't know if its trickling from the pipe or coming from whatever is behind this plate..

can someone tell me what these pipes are used for... ? and whats above the metal cover plate (rectangular)...
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

I presume these pipes are NOT connected to the particulate filter? without seeing a picture (which would be helpful if you could post one) I'm guessing what your referring to is actually the fuel return pipes & it's radiator panel (black (louvered) metal panel held in by 2 torx 20 screws & two wire type supports), this panel measure's approximately 40 cm's x 15cm's but that is a ROUGH GUESS. However this will clearly not leak coolant, only fuel, hence a photo/picture would be handy. When your workshop manual shows up this should help clarify what the component is rather than my slightly inept abilities in trying to guess :oops:
Music keeps me going.
ukheman

Post by ukheman »

its held by 3 screws in a triangle format in the middle.. then 2 screws @ 1 end and 1 screw at the other end.. then the whole panel comes off the underbody..

its definetly coolant... as the coolant level drops..

also a little exhaust pipe at there 2.. looks like something to do with a heater matrix...
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Ok i think i was on the wrong side of the vehicle in my previous post, this unit.. is it a large-ish black plastic unit with what looks to be a small radiator at one end? the plastic unit forms a sort of air duct & so i think it is indeed a rather elaborate radiator although exactly why they need them I'm not sure (i think the citroen dispatch MIGHT have them too), anyway have you tried pressure testing the cars coolant system to find exactly where the leak is coming from? I'm guessing the radiator may have sprung a leak but I'd want to be 100% as i don't recall ever having to change one due to a leak.
As for the small exhaust, that's part of the cars heating system, i presume your car has climate control? The engines on these cars are so efficient that they can't create enough 'waste' heat quickly enough in order to make the cars heating system warm up quickly, consequently these cars actually use fuel (diesel) fired heating systems in order to heat the coolant up quicker thus heat the car quickly, so burning fuel obviously requires some form of fume extraction, hence the miniature exhaust underneath the car, I'm guessing the system is quite reliable as I've never had to repair this type of system (yet) but as it vents fumes straight out to the atmosphere is does seem to make a mockery of EU emission legislations.
I should point out that a lot of citroens have heating elements built into the heater matrix pipe work in the form of something very similar to glow plugs, i think it's only the c8 that has the fuel burning system.
Music keeps me going.