Citroen C4 automatic gearbox problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kamikazeephil
My Cars:

Citroen C4 automatic gearbox problem

Post by Kamikazeephil »

Hi Everbody,

This is my first entry on the forum, I own a 2006 CITROEN C4 HATCHBACK 1.6i 16V SX 5dr Auto which as done 23,500 miles - I have a gearbox problem and wondered if it has happed to anybody else and if so they could offer any advice.

The problem is the 'service' light comes on the dashboard - the gearbox wont change gear - then it bangs into 3rd - and wont change - I then stop turn the engine off then back on again and it seems to work fine - until the next journey and it will happen again - this doesn't happen on every journey.

Hope someone can help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum :D

This is symptomatic of the gearbox going into 3rd gear emergency hydraulic mode; a special failsafe "limp-home" should the electronics either loose control of the 'box or a problem is detected with the 'box that makes it impossible for the electronics to control it for some reason.

The big bang and being only able to select third or reverse is normal when in emergency mode but the bang can be severe enough to damage engine mounts.

There are a multitude of reasons why the 'box might drop into emergency mode and forgive me for this but the only way is to have a diagnostics session performed by a Citroen garage who understands automatic gearboxes.

A common problem is with the gear selector switch which is electro mechanically controlled by the gear selector lever. This switch tells the ECU if P, R, N, D and so on has been selected by you. This is not hard to fix (new switch) and diagnostics will log a "Gear Coherence Fault" or words to that effect.

Come back, tell us what diagnostics found and we'll advise further although we'll need to know the type of gearbox is fitted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kamikazeephil
My Cars:

Post by Kamikazeephil »

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your reply - I will take your advise and take it to Citroen for a check over. I'll let you know how I go on.

Regards Phil
joe ashe
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002, manual

Re: Citroen C4 automatic gearbox problem

Post by joe ashe »

Hi Citro Jim- did you get your Citroen fixed? What was the problem and how much did it cost to have it fixed? I know that it was a long time ago but you might remember it. Best re, Denmarkgards, Joe Ashe
Lovelylouise
New User
My Cars: Citroen c4

Post by Lovelylouise »

Hi, my car is showing the same fault now as me. Once I turn off the ignition and restart it, the fault goes away and it is quite intermittent. Will have a chat with my garage tomorrow.
joe ashe
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002, manual

Post by joe ashe »

Hi, I've recently replaced my C5 with a C4 automatic. It has done 60000M, 2006 model. It is causing me so much grief and expenses that I simply don't know what to do. A sign saying SERVICE lights up, another sign like a "moustache" lights up too and no gears change. I took the car to a garage with Bosch electronic test bench- no faults were detected. Next day I took to Citroen garage. Couldn't find the problem- cost nearly £ 250. Does anybody have an idea what the problem might be? I'd appreciate all help. Regards, Joe Ashe Denmark.
Tobben
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post by Tobben »

joe ashe wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 14:30 Hi, I've recently replaced my C5 with a C4 automatic. It has done 60000M, 2006 model. It is causing me so much grief and expenses that I simply don't know what to do. A sign saying SERVICE lights up, another sign like a "moustache" lights up too and no gears change. I took the car to a garage with Bosch electronic test bench- no faults were detected. Next day I took to Citroen garage. Couldn't find the problem- cost nearly £ 250. Does anybody have an idea what the problem might be? I'd appreciate all help. Regards, Joe Ashe Denmark.
Hi Joe!
Did you find out what was the problem with your C4 transmission?
I have the same issue on my car. I have a 2007 C4 Grand Piccasso. "SERVICE" light on dashboard and no effect of the gear shifter on the steering wheel. I have a fully automatic transmission with PRNDM.
Can you Joe or anybody else help me, please?
For your info; all fuses are intact.