Berlingo horn fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BryanB
My Cars:

Berlingo horn fault

Post by BryanB »

The horn of my Citroen Berlingo Multispace 2003, has ceased to function. The battery is fine, the horn makes no sound, not even a click.The fuse is OK, I have the Haynes manual.I can use a multimeter.
To get to the horn itself involves dismantling the front end of the car, not to mention axle stands and wheels off. To get at the horn button contacts means disable airbags & disconnect batttery.
Neither of these alternatives appeal to me, has anyone knowledge of short cuts to locate the fault? Is there a common fault on the Berlingo? Help!
Willing to learn

2003 Berlingo multispace forte. 1.9d (The sluggish one)
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

if you could get to the wiring from the horn button the using the multimeter test if your getting continuity when you press the button at least that will rule out the steering wheel bit and concentrate on the horn itself
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm guessing on the Berlingo you press on an area of the airbag to blow the horn. If so, the current will travel through a rotary joint of some kind on the steering wheel. Chances are, this'll be the culprit. Don't be scared of airbags. Handled with care, they're fine. Just disconnet the battery, go and make a cup of tea and when you've drunk it, the airbag will be safe to disconnect and handle. As long as you don't knock it, it will not go off. I lay them face down in the corner of the conservatory when I do a job requiring airbag removal.

If the rotart joint is OK, then maybe the earth to the horn is corroded. Horns take a lot of current. I expect there is a relay in the system somewhere that bears a check.

All I know, slipping off the airbag is/should be a sight easier than taking the bumper off to get at the horn itself!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

Thanks for the replies, I'll give the airbag/horn button a try as soon as the wife finishes with the car. The Haynes manual says it's fuse 17, the handbook says fuse 13. Both are Ok, I guess I'll check all the fuses in case both are wrong for UK models.
Willing to learn

BryanB
My Cars:

Problem solved

Post by BryanB »

While searching for the handbook, to check the radio code before disconnecting the battery, before removing the airbag to check the horn contacts. I accidently pressed the horn push, It worked, the ignition was off.
I switched ignition on-no horn, started engine-no horn.
I then turned off and pressed the horn, it worked again. I kept my hand on the horn and started the engine. It continued to work, and has worked since with engine running-Hooray!
I don't know if this might work again, or for anyone else, but it must be worth a try.
Anybody like to offer an explanation?
Willing to learn

nick
My Cars:

Re: Problem solved

Post by nick »

BryanB wrote:Anybody like to offer an explanation?
BSI, or mad Citroen disease as it's also known? :wink:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Wires chafing on the steering column where it turns ?
Also you wont have a radio code so no need to worry when disconecting the battery.
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

wheeler wrote:Wires chafing on the steering column where it turns ?
Also you wont have a radio code so no need to worry when disconecting the battery.

Are you sure about no radio code? The fault has re-appeared today, after 3 months. We rarely use the horn but have occasionally tested it during the past months. It was perfect till today when a child walked backwards into the road. I managed to stop, but had my hand on the horn button for 5 secs without a peep from it.
It now functions occasionally with ignition off, nothing with engine running. I would suspect an earth fault except that there is obviously more power available when the alternator is running. Also I would expect some reduction in noise/hesitation/clicks. But when it works it's perfect. When not there is absolutely nothing.
The other complication is an MOT due later this month. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Willing to learn

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you checked this ? my moneys on wires chafing on the steering column.
Yes there is definitely no radio code on this vehicle.
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

wheeler wrote:
Have you checked this ? my moneys on wires chafing on the steering column.
Yes there is definitely no radio code on this vehicle.

Haven't checked for chafing yet, don't you think if a wire shorted to the steering column it would blow the fuse when I pressed the horn button? Thanks for the reassurance regarding radio code.
Willing to learn

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

BryanB wrote:don't you think if a wire shorted to the steering column it would blow the fuse when I pressed the horn button? .
Not if it's one of the multiplexed data wires from the com2000.
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

wheeler wrote:
BryanB wrote:don't you think if a wire shorted to the steering column it would blow the fuse when I pressed the horn button? .
Not if it's one of the multiplexed data wires from the com2000.
Thanks for that, I don't understand multiplexing etc. I'll investigate when the snow melts.
Willing to learn

BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

CitroJim wrote:I'm guessing on the Berlingo you press on an area of the airbag to blow the horn. If so, the current will travel through a rotary joint of some kind on the steering wheel. Chances are, this'll be the culprit. Don't be scared of airbags. Handled with care, they're fine. Just disconnet the battery, go and make a cup of tea and when you've drunk it, the airbag will be safe to disconnect and handle. As long as you don't knock it, it will not go off. I lay them face down in the corner of the conservatory when I do a job requiring airbag removal.

If the rotart joint is OK, then maybe the earth to the horn is corroded. Horns take a lot of current. I expect there is a relay in the system somewhere that bears a check.

All I know, slipping off the airbag is/should be a sight easier than taking the bumper off to get at the horn itself!
It was the rotary joint Jim. Dismantled the shrouds and checked for chafe- OK. Then took off the airbag/horn button, all looked OK. Didn't have the right star key to remove the steering wheel bolt so squirted a little WD40 into the rotary joint area and worked the steering lock to lock a few times. It worked! I have my wife's permission to blow the horn every day now!
Willing to learn