Citroen Keyfob Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xsara Drummer

Citroen Keyfob Problems

Post by Xsara Drummer »

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum but I’m hoping some here may be able to help me....

I have a Citroen Xsara HDI Estate 2000 (Mark 1 Shape) and I’m having real problem with my key fob.
I bought the car second hand in March this year and love it to bits (first car that fits my rather large drum kit into the boot) but the key fob never worked until I figured out what was wrong with it.

The PCB was missing a button, the button that unlocks the car.

So I thought I’d try and get a key fob off eBay and see if I could re-program it or if not I could use one of the micro switches and solder it on the original key fob that I got with the car.
The re-programming didn’t work at all, I’d found a few ways on the interweb and none of them worked.

So only choice left was the micro switch (which a good friend of mine soldered it for me) and it work for about 8 months until last week when the micro switch came away from the PCB board.

That’s the history so far, so now for the question....

Other than buying a brand new key fob and having it re-programmed from Citroen at a cost of £130, is there any way at all to use an old key fob (bought from eBay maybe or sourced elsewhere) and get it re-programmed?

As you can probably tell I’m at my wits end so if any of you could help or advise me, you would be saving me a lot of mental anguish and possibly going bald too.

Thanks in advance,
Darren.
Xsara Drummer

Post by Xsara Drummer »

Anyone at all have any advice.....?

Pretty Please :?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The type of remote used on your car can only be re-programmed by using a Lexia diagnostic tool, you also need the "code card" for your car. So the answer to your question is to use one of the keys you have bought and get Citroën (or anyone else who has a Lexia) to re-programme the new key to your car.

Whereabouts are you as a few of us on here have the necessary equipment.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

code card depends on if its a 3 button type from 2000+ the early ones have 2 button 1997 to 2000 and only need synchronizing apart from the chip in key which needs ELIT diagnostic easy way to find out is the diagnostic socket will be 30 pin but if it has the euro connector then it might have the 16 pin then you can use lexia and ELIT
Xsara Drummer

Post by Xsara Drummer »

It the 2 Button Type. (September 2000)
The unfortunate thing is that I don't have the "Code Card" for the car.
I assume that I have to get that again from Citroen.
I'm in Northern Ireland. I'm guessing you guys are all mainland U.K based :(

Thanks for your replies by the way :D
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

ok the 2 button type only needs the code card for adding a key and not for the remote so you need to fix the remote or buy a new one that's blank then re-synchronize it, the key is the immobiliser and the remote is for the alarm only so removing the key automatically arms the system and you can set the alarm with the key by locking it and lock again to double lock that should arm the alarm without the fob

the later 3 button type requires the code card for all functions
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

system operation:

press lock button once activates central locking.
pressing lock button twice within 5 seconds activates double locking.

synchronization:
when,

key battery replaced.
if buttons operated repeatedly while vehicle is out of range the system becomes inoperative.

how:

switch ignition on.
wait for system LED to extinguish - if fitted.
within 30 seconds press lock button or unlock button.
ensure system LED illuminated approx 0,5 seconds.
synchronization procedure now complete.
confirm synchronization has been successful by locking and double locking and unlocking.

programming:

when key added or replaced.
system malfunction.

thats from autodata cd 2 2004 8)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

TBONE wrote:code card depends on if its a 3 button type from 2000+ the early ones have 2 button 1997 to 2000 and only need synchronizing apart from the chip in key which needs ELIT diagnostic easy way to find out is the diagnostic socket will be 30 pin but if it has the euro connector then it might have the 16 pin then you can use lexia and ELIT
You have that the wrong way around, the early 2 button plips need the code for both key & remote , the later 3 button plips only need the code for the transponder.
Also all xsaras have the 16 pin EOBD style diagnostic plug.
I'm not 100% but i dont think you can recode a 2nd hand remote that has already been programed to another car, well not with lexia or ELIT anyway.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

never checked what DLC they had before but the 16 pin is great and don't know why it wasn't introduce on the xantia before 2000 it would have made things much easier to diagnose,
yes you can clear the CMOS in the remote but as you say not with lexia or ELIT,
my data says I have it the right way round for the code card
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

TBONE wrote:system operation:

press lock button once activates central locking.
pressing lock button twice within 5 seconds activates double locking.

synchronization:
when,

key battery replaced.
if buttons operated repeatedly while vehicle is out of range the system becomes inoperative.

how:

switch ignition on.
wait for system LED to extinguish - if fitted.
within 30 seconds press lock button or unlock button.
ensure system LED illuminated approx 0,5 seconds.
synchronization procedure now complete.
confirm synchronization has been successful by locking and double locking and unlocking.

programming:

when key added or replaced.
system malfunction.

thats from autodata cd 2 2004 8)
I tried that and umpteen variations of it with my Xantia HDi and it didn't work, whereas my Lexia did the job first time.
wheeler wrote:i dont think you can recode a 2nd hand remote that has already been programed to another car, well not with lexia or ELIT anyway.
I've managed to re-programme a second hand two button remote with a Lexia.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Those autodata instructions are rubbish, i think they have a standard list of instructions for all plips. You can reprogram the 3 button remotes yourself, You switch the ignition on & hold the lock button for 10 seconds, switch the ignition off & wait 30 seconds. job done, it tells you how to do it in the owners handbook.
You deffo need the code number & diagnostic gear to program both key & remote on the early 2 button remotes, the code is only used for the key on later 3 button plips.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

3 button type 2000 xsara HDI

without double locking:
press lock button once activates central locking and alarm.
with double locking:
press lock button once activates double locking system and alarm.
pressing unlock button again deactivates locking system and alarm.

synchronization:
when,
key battery replaced.
if buttons pressed repeatedly out of rage the system becomes inop.
key remote control added or replaced.

HOW:

switch ignition on.
press and hold lock button for 10 seconds.
switch ignition off.
wait 3 seconds.
synchronization complete.
repeat the the above for and other remote controls then test to see
if it works.

programming:
when,
key remote control added or replaced.
system malfunction.

how,
obtain all keys.
obtain owners vehicle security card.
replacement key remote controls can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment

I don't doubt you in any way Mr wheeler I only quote from autodata which many garages use without any problems and its very accurate as it should be because its expensive to buy so no point giving inaccurate information is there now :wink: .

never tried to reprogramme a used remote so not going there