C5 aftermarket reversing sensor installation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

C5 aftermarket reversing sensor installation

Post by GB »

Any hints on installing reversing sensors in a C5 hatch?

Since the car features can bus/multiplexing, can I simply connect the sensor unit to the reversing light wiring (somewhere in the c-pillar)? Any precautions to take?

GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: C5 aftermarket reversing sensor installation

Post by DickieG »

GB wrote:Any hints on installing reversing sensors in a C5 hatch?

Since the car features can bus/multiplexing, can I simply connect the sensor unit to the reversing light wiring (somewhere in the c-pillar)? Any precautions to take?
To stand any chance of success with your idea you'd need to use the original Citroën reversing sensors and wiring loom, then get the car connected up to a Lexia or Proxia to tell the BSI that reversing sensors have been fitted. That may work but it would partly depend on whether reversing sensors were an option on your particular model and whether the BSI is able to recognise the sensors. The fact that reversing sensors were available on other models does not mean that the BSI on your car will be able to recognise them.

For instance on my Berlingo 1.6 HDi the BSI had been programmed by Citroën not to recognise cruise control whereas on my previous 2.0 HDi it had.

For the definative answer ask a Citroën dealer although they may be reluctant to enable your proposed change to the BSI as Citorën UK have clamped down on such modifications recently.

However, if you want to give it a go I know of two people who own a Lexia and one of them isn't very far from you :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
GB
My Cars:

Re: C5 aftermarket reversing sensor installation

Post by GB »

DickieG wrote:To stand any chance of success with your idea you'd need to use the original Citroën reversing sensors and wiring loom, then get the car connected up to a Lexia or Proxia to tell the BSI that reversing sensors have been fitted.
Genuine Citroen reversing kit = £383 plus fitting and configuration (including four rear sensors). No way. Deep pockets and short hands here... ;-)

Any chance of getting away with an aftermarket kit and a single by-pass relay instead? Anyone successfully installed an aftermarket reversing kit using the rear bumper cavities (factory) on a C5 II?

Ideally I'd like to install the four sensor Valeo Beep&Park kit (~ £50).

I had a look at Citroen spare parts website, and they list two different reversing kits compatible across the Citroen car range - they appear to be of the aftermarket sort (Delphi and Meta System), so my guess is that they are compatible with the C5 II canbus system.

BTW, the Meta System (incl. 4 sensors) is £138 (part number 0000945295), but according to the installation guide it is necessary to drill holes in the rear bumper - my car already has sensor cavities in the lower part of the bumper, so I don't want to do any unnecessary drilling.

http://www.citroen-docom.com/cs/notices/1467.pdf

The Delphi kit costs £178, but there are no downladable instructions available. No Citroen dealer seems to know anything about either of these kits.

Surprisingly they are both suitable for the new C5 III.

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a gander in here.
There have been some fitted sucessfully recently and I believe the Valeo kit is the one Citroen use.
Unfortunately the search function is currently borked so I can't home in any closer, even worse, although there are four forums for different purposes there ay as well not be as folks chuck anything anywhere, regardless of forum headings. It is a mess compared to this place.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

none of the Genuine accesorie revesing sensor kits require programing with lexia as they are not multiplexed (the kits that is) , just a simple 2 wire connection. a reverse light feed & an earth. a fairly simple DIY job.