Xsara 1.9 diesel sepentine belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seritiku
My Cars:

Xsara 1.9 diesel sepentine belt

Post by seritiku »

Hi guys

Noob here with a slight problem regarding my 1999 1.9 diesel xsara...Now I think it has the same engine as the ZX but I cant say this for certain so I will ask you fellas..

My problem is how to fit a new serpentine belt as mine was squealing and gave out completely last night..

I have looked on here for a diagram for the serpentine but most posts here seem to be about the xantia...Is the xantia 1.9 diesel the same and if so is there such a diagram on this forum..

All advice appreciated fellas

Seri
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi,

Yes, it's basically the same engine as the ZX. Without A/C the belt should go (clockwise looking at it) Crank pulley, alternator, under the tensioner, PAS pump, back to the crank pulley. With A/C it probably goes crank pulley, under spring tensioner, round the PAS pump, under the manual tensioner, over the alternator and A/C compressor, back to the crank pulley. I think :lol:
Richard W
seritiku
My Cars:

Post by seritiku »

RichardW wrote:Hi,

Yes, it's basically the same engine as the ZX. Without A/C the belt should go (clockwise looking at it) Crank pulley, alternator, under the tensioner, PAS pump, back to the crank pulley. With A/C it probably goes crank pulley, under spring tensioner, round the PAS pump, under the manual tensioner, over the alternator and A/C compressor, back to the crank pulley. I think :lol:
Cheers for the reply Richard but I got a local mechanic to fit a new belt and the annoying thing is it is chirping already.. :( fitted yesterday chirping today...I dont know if maybe the tensioner spring is weak but the mechanic said all was in order..

I have a can of belt dressing but I used that on the old belt which did get rid of the noise but the belt failed within a fortnight..could be coincidence I suppose but the dressing was hard to come by which makes me think it may have damaged the composite of the original belt...does anyone have any info on this :?:
Ma voiture est français..citroen xsara picasso 2003 2.0 Hdi MPV
Ma autre voiture est...skoda fabia 1.4 MPI
Ma moto est...yamaha xj600
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

The noise will more than likely be the tensioner....most of the cars with the 1.9D & 1.9TD engine make the same noise once the tensioner gets a few miles on it.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
seritiku
My Cars:

Post by seritiku »

Cheers for the reply but does anyone know if the belt dressing is detrimental to the composite of the aux belt..

Ta much

Seri
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This stuff on eBay (item#150229852350) claims to increase belt life, as does the Remvax I spoke of in another thread here.

I am not offering any guarantees here though :shock:
seritiku
My Cars:

Post by seritiku »

Well 2 months later and another snapped serpentine belt...grrrr...The mechanic I used last time is snowed under with work so I have to try an sort this bloody problem myself this time..

This is where you folks come in hopefully..

:wink:

Here are a few photos of my engine which is a 1999 diesel but not a turbo and it is not fitted with AC either..

Other car details are as follows..

Citroen xsara 1.9dx non turbo

Image engine bay

Image tensioner I presume

And here is a schematic for the way the belt is routed

Now my first question is this..How do I adjust the tensioner so that I can fit the new belt?

I have tried applying pressure either side of the wheel that I presume to be the tensioner wheel to no effect and I do not wish to use excessive force for fear of breaking something else whilst attempting to fit this belt.

Has anyone got a manual with a picture of the tensioner so that I can learn how it works..is it spring loaded? manual tension?

All help is really appreciated but I do wish the French had left this well alone as a bog standard v belt and adjustment via the power steering pump should have been the way to go with this imo...they have made this to fancy and fragile to boot..

Regards Seri
seritiku
My Cars:

Post by seritiku »

myglaren wrote:This stuff on eBay (item#150229852350) claims to increase belt life, as does the Remvax I spoke of in another thread here.

I think this stuff kills belts btw...waste of dosh IMO.. :wink:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

seritiku wrote:
myglaren wrote:This stuff on eBay (item#150229852350) claims to increase belt life, as does the Remvax I spoke of in another thread here.

I think this stuff kills belts btw...waste of dosh IMO.. :wink:
Couldn't say with any certainty but the remvax seemed to extend the life of the belts we used it on and kept them from squealing too.

You pays your money...
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Now then

I've got the 1.9TD, but I'll assume it's the same set-up.
There's no idler, just a tensioner. It's known as a lollypop - a stick with a wheel on the end.
Half way down the "stick" there's a bolt - unscrew this, it keeps the tensioner locked. Then release the tensioner by unwinding the cap bolt at the base of the "stick". Release it enough to remove the belt, put on the new one, wind the tensioner back in, lock it, and voila.

At the correct tension, the belt can be twisted 90 degrees along its longest run. Don't overtighten, you'll wear the pulley on the power steering pump. Too slack and the belt will squeal.

Sorry, I've no pics, but I hope that explains how it works.
If you're stuck, you should get the Haynes manual, and make your mechanic redundant.
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is possible that the tensioner in Q here is just another idler to control the belt. Then the belt is tensioned by adjusting the alternator instead.
Depending on exact engine type and build year of course.

Good ole silicone spray is the best rubber conditioner you can get. Its NOT a lubricant. Only snag is that paintwork does not like silicone ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
seritiku
My Cars:

Post by seritiku »

Thanks for the replies lads but I eventually sussed this problem out..The tensioner is loosened and tightened via a small bolt that is hidden under the plastic engine cover and is right begind the PSP..as per this photo

Here it is again from a different angle

If you turn this nut anti-clockwise is slackens the tensioner and vice versa to increase the tension..I hope these pics help some one out as this was a right conundrum to suss and is no way an obvious solution to this problem..

Merci pour votre aider mes amis... :D

Seri