Xantia fan stopped working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

docbrown
My Cars:

Xantia fan stopped working

Post by docbrown »

Hello My heater fan has packed in and will not kick in, no matter how much i mess about with the ingnition barrel.

Do you have any suggestions?
1998 Xantia 1.9 SX TD
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Could this be another packed up heater blower with the old transistor problems....just in advanced if it is (when the people's confirm) and you decide to buy some transistors let me know where from cos god only knows mine is gonna go eventually. :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The transistors are; TO3 type, NPN, rated at 15 amps or more. The actaual type numbers vary from time to time but any electronics supplier worth his salt should be able to find you some, if not, leave a post on here.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If anyone knows a website or even has some of these transistors available for my Xantia with Air Con I would really appreciate it as i just have a nasty feeling its gonna pack up one day!

So all you do is drill out the old ones????
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

First check if the rear window demister works, it's on the same ignition contact as the blower.
If it doesn't, then it's the ignition switch.
If it does work, then check for 12 Volts on the red wire at the blower motor.
If you do have 12V, but it doesn't spin, then it still can be an open drop resistor before the fan, on cars with no air conditioning.
Air conditioned cars don't have that resistor, and then the transistors or motor brushes are likely causes.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RobL
My Cars:

Post by RobL »

Hi guys, I have a similar problem on a 94 Xantia 1.9TD. The blower and demister work okay at the accessories position, but after starting the engine they no longer work. It can be corrected by momentarily turning the key off then on again. Is there likely to be a relay at fault or is it an ignition switch problem?
docbrown
My Cars:

Post by docbrown »

The rear demister is still working fine, just the fan has stopped working.
Prior to the fan stopping it had only been working on max or auto.

Do you think that the fact that it was only working on max or auto is connected to it packing in?

None of the variable settings seemed to work on the slider prior to the failure.
1998 Xantia 1.9 SX TD
splat2

Post by splat2 »

I had similar symptoms, worked occasionally on max and occasionally on auto before stopping completely. Turned out the brushes were worn out - bought new ones from the local Lucas agent for a few pounds.

I couldn't get exactly the right size so I bought larger ones and used some sandpaper to shave them down a bit.
'97 Xantia TD 170k
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Got the same problem on our '95 TD. Heater fan bit temperamental for last 12 months or so, usually sorted eventually by wiggling to ignition key. Finally packs up all together so I put a relay in to switch the power. Great for a week and then it packs in again. This time it was the green connector plug that connects to the motor. The middle connector of the 5 was looking very cooked, cleaned it all up and the fan is now working again. On ours access is by removing the 3 screws that hold the carpet in place above the passenger side foot well.

I know Citroen electrics are not exactly examples of industry good practice but I have come across a few places where components appear to be overheating, becoming damaged and then fail, when they appear to be correctly fitted, this connector being one and the relays/holders behind the front grill that operate the fans being another.

Rory
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My heater fan went through a spell of not working,or only working on max,even though the rear demister worked.The problem on mine was the main red power cable going into the heater unit,under the passenger footwell.The crimped connector(female i think) was loose & slightly burnt.I replaced it with a new connector,& its been fine since.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Regulator transistors suitable for Citroen heater blower motors:
2N5879/80
2N6029/30/31
2N6246
2N6469
2SA1116
BD318
MJ15016
All of the above are 'P' type, 'TO3' fitting, and rated at 15 amps. There are probably some newer ones as my data book is somewhat out of date since I have now retired from repairing TV's.

Fitting is fairly simple if you can use a drill and soldering iron. Unsolder the leads from the transistor pins, making a careful note of where they go,drill out the four rivets, (two in each transistor), bolt on the new ones with suitably sized nuts and bolts and resolder the leads. Make sure the screws are done up fairly tight so that the maximum ammount of heat is transferred to the metal.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

RobL wrote:The blower and demister work okay at the accessories position, but after starting the engine they no longer work. It can be corrected by momentarily turning the key off then on again. Is there likely to be a relay at fault or is it an ignition switch problem?
This fault is definitely the switch.
The blower and demister are not meant to work on the accessories position, but only when the engine runs.
There is no relay that causes the fault, but the cure is to install a relay to replace the weak contact.
There's another thread running just now about that:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16871
johnway
My Cars:

Xantia Heater

Post by johnway »

Hello fellow sufferers!! My 1997 Xantia VSX 1.9TD AC is on its' second blower motor and today (coldest one yet of course) decided to go silly. On start up and on MAX blew away quite happily for 2 mins then died. After switching from MAX to OFF to AUTO a few times it started again but at a low speed only. Stuck with this for a while, then noticed strange noise coming from the blower area (thought at first the nearside front wheel was chattering) but on stopping the car the noise remained. Tried the blower switch on OFF, no result - it was still running!!. On stopping the engine and restarting, the blower burst into life again at MAX, only to go back to slow speed and chatter again. Sliding the control from Max to Off to Auto again I heard clicking from (a relay?) near the blower area. Any advice? I also suffer from cold feet as the air controls have gone to pot and I can only get warm air on demist. How big a job is it to get at the heater and control assemblies?
Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Heater

Post by Clogzz »

johnway wrote:heard clicking from (a relay?) near the blower area.
First thing is to remove the cover above the passenger footwell to see if the relay is in there.
The relay is operated by the ignition switch contact that couldn't handle the current for the blower motor, and may now be intermittent, causing the relay to chatter.
The posts above will give you ideas as to where to explore next.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

For those of you who want the electronic bits, I suggest you try Maplins, they can help normally.
Cheers!
John