PSA interface checker

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goltho
My Cars: Peugeot 206 CC 2005
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

PSA interface checker

Post by goltho »

Hi there. Baby's first post :-D and although I'm new here, I have been round the block a little with Peugeots, software use and motor engineering in general.

We currently have a few 206s in the family (2.0L cc, 2.0L HDi, 1.4L Entice). I bought a Win7 laptop a couple of months ago with DiagBox 7.57 pre-installed and a Lexia connector & leads. It works to a degree but not fully - on all cars. Some modules it reports as having communication issues with and others it connects with but can't identify. It's then a case with the latter of trial & error to find which unit is installed in the car. The ECU (for example) can't be communicated with on any car.

I upgraded Diagbox to 7.83 (highest version I have) in stages this afternoon which went well, but it made no difference to the issues. I'm now believing that the Lexia firmware is out of date but I can't find a link to the PSA interface checker anywhere to check what I've got. :shock: I have read that it was available here via a member(s) - is this still the case? Rev C seems to be what I require - is that correct and does that work with DiagBox 7.83?

Thanks.
Last edited by goltho on 20 Apr 2019, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Peugeot 206cc / 2005 / 2.0L
Peugeot 206HDi / 2005 / 2.0
Peugeot 206 Entice / 2003 / 1.4
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: PSA interface checker

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum. There is a checker, and it shouldn't take long for a Moderator to point you in the right direction.

I would suggest you DOWNGRADE your Diagbox software to v7.57. Later versions have a 'need' to be connected to the PSA servers (I still haven't got my head around this), so may not give you the functionality you are after (but I feel certain a Moderator will explain this a lot more clearly).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 17 Apr 2019, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 22:17 Hi, and :welc: to the forum. There is a checker, and it shouldn't take long for a Moderator to point you in the right direction.

I would suggest you DOWNGRADE your Diagbox software to v7.57. Later versions have a 'need' to be connected to the PSA severs (I still haven't got my head around this), so may not give you the functionality you are after (but I feel certain a Moderator will explain this a lot more clearly).

Thanks James. I spent most of today researching and upgrading but didn't come across mandatory PSA server connection issues with later versions. #-o However I'm here for knowledge so I'll await further input! I guess downgrading would mean re-installing?

Will the checker indicate whether my Lexia is a clone or otherwise?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot help further with the need to be connected to the PSA servers (as I don't have a Rev C unit, so I cannot use higher than 7.15), but I can tell you that (as PSA don't release Lexia equipment to the general public) your Lexia will be a clone. However, so long as it has the full chipset it will be fine.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What style of connector does the 206 use ? Is it a modern 16 pin OBD-II connector, or is it the older long rectangular 30 pin connector (as used on Series 1 Xantia) or is it just the two prong connector used on even older models ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

Mandrake wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 09:55 What style of connector does the 206 use

They're all OBDII.
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

Is there someone I can PM who would be able to help with the checker? My HDi's MIL came on mid-week but the fault isn't being accessed. :roll:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

goltho wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:46 Hi there. Baby's first post :-D and although I'm new here, I have been round the block a little with Peugeots, software use and motor engineering in general.

We currently have a few 206s in the family (2.0L cc, 2.0L HDi, 1.4L Entice). I bought a Win7 laptop a couple of months ago with DiagBox 7.57 pre-installed and a genuine Lexia connector & leads. It works to a degree but not fully - on all cars. Some modules it reports as having communication issues with and others it connects with but can't identify. It's then a case with the latter of trial & error to find which unit is installed in the car. The ECU (for example) can't be communicated with on any car.

I upgraded Diagbox to 7.83 (highest version I have) in stages this afternoon which went well, but it made no difference to the issues. I'm now believing that the Lexia firmware is out of date but I can't find a link to the PSA interface checker anywhere to check what I've got. :shock: I have read that it was available here via a member(s) - is this still the case? Rev C seems to be what I require - is that correct and does that work with DiagBox 7.83?

Thanks.

1) I suspect you may not have a full chip VCI - there are plenty of cheaper versions that do not have all the hardware to talk to some full CAN vehicles.
2) The firmware versions are automatically installed correctly as appropriate for the version of Diagbox you are installing.
3) You say
The ECU (for example) can't be communicated with on any car.
There can be over 25 separate ECUs - which one are you talking about? If you are saying it won't talk to any ECU - then you have a communication issue or as said - the version you have may be too new for the vehicle you are testing.
4) Try reverting right back to version 7.02. That should be the latest version of Diagbox '7**' that an older VCI or revision 'B' interface should work with - depending on the interface you have - but is a good indication if it starts to work.

If the vehicles you are working on are 2008-on and it won't talk to the newer cars - I suspect you do not have a full-chip kit. Typically, but not all of these 'knock down' kits will be anything in the £40 - £80 price bracket (excluding. laptop of course). Many of the full chip kits with all the hardware will be in the £100+ price range.

So as you bought the whole kit - was it new or second hand from somebody -the point being do you know what revision / quality of kit you have?

Does the green light stay on when communicating with the vehicle? If the 206s you are trying to diagnose are 20005 models, the interface should be launching Peugeot Planet 2000 for this year - so can you confirm the Windows 7 version on your laptop - is it 32 or 64 bit version?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 10:45 1) I suspect you may not have a full chip VCI - there are plenty of cheaper versions that do not have all the hardware to talk to some full CAN vehicles.
2) The firmware versions are automatically installed correctly as appropriate for the version of Diagbox you are installing.
3) You say "The ECU (for example) can't be communicated with on any car." There can be over 25 separate ECUs - which one are you talking about? If you are saying it won't talk to any ECU - then you have a communication issue or as said - the version you have may be too new for the vehicle you are testing.
4) Try reverting right back to version 7.02. That should be the latest version of Diagbox '7**' that an older VCI or revision 'B' interface should work with - depending on the interface you have - but is a good indication if it starts to work.
Hi Marc,

1) Understood
2) Not clear on this - that would depend on the software and the Lexia being purchased together originally?
3) My bad, sorry - the engine ECU and Injection ones being the chief problem.
4) I'll try reverting. I presume I'll have to uninstall and reinstall from scratch? I do have all the files.
If the vehicles you are working on are 2008-on and it won't talk to the newer cars - I suspect you do not have a full-chip kit. Typically, but not all of these 'knock down' kits will be anything in the £40 - £80 price bracket (excluding. laptop of course). Many of the full chip kits with all the hardware will be in the £100+ price range.
I only work on pre-2006 vehicles. Can I tell whether it's a full chip kit by opening it?
So as you bought the whole kit - was it new or second hand from somebody -the point being do you know what revision / quality of kit you have?
Second-hand, already installed and (allegedly) working. I don't know what revision I have.
Does the green light stay on when communicating with the vehicle? If the 206s you are trying to diagnose are 20005 models, the interface should be launching Peugeot Planet 2000 for this year - so can you confirm the Windows 7 version on your laptop - is it 32 or 64 bit version?

Yes, green light stays on. All cars I've tried it on have been 2005 or earlier. DiagBox has never offered any other option than the Citroen/Peugeot home screen. I will say that I've had to choose 206+ every time as the 206 (or 206MUX) require me to enter the VIN and DAM manually. When I do that, it egg-times and offers me PP2000. When I choose that option, it egg-times and goes back to the PP2000 screen again. I've never managed to run PP2000.

(Description of what I bought was Lexia 3 PP2000 Diagbox 7 9780.Z5. Don't think that'll help.)

Dougie.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok Dougie let's see if I can address these one at a time:

2) Diagbox 7, when first installed, auto updates itself to version 7.02. It will stay like this until you install further updates. It is not necessary to update it to the latest - as this can in fact reduce functionality on higher versions. So each particular update needs a particular level of firmware. Each software update has the correct firmware contained within the software update and pl;aces this into the relevant folder on your laptop. During the install of each update, part of the process checks the firmware against what is on the VCI and updates it with the correct version for the update you are installing.

If and when you downgrade the Diagbox version, the firmware is again replaced with the correct version for that which you are installing.

Generally V7.58 is the most stable and covers vehicles up to December 2014.

3) No worries - the Injection ECU is incorporated into the Injection system. There is no separate ECU for this. Other examples of ECU include the master controlling BSI, ABS / ESP ECU, Air Conditioning ECU, Climate Control ECU, Audio Head Unit / Telematics ECU, Tailgate ECU, Electric Seats ECU, Airbag ECU, Suspension ECU...... - you get the picture - there is no 'ECU' as such, each is incorporated onto the system it represents.

4a) No - just apply the update you want - and I suggest the from 7.** to 7.58 update. However, as I mentioned in my last post - if you have an older revision unit, you may be restricted to 7.02.

4b) Opening the unit - be very careful as it will void any warranty - but I suspect it is out of date now anyway. Yes you can determine the type of unit:
VCI A.PNG
VCI B.PNG
As you can see the cheaper versions are missing components circled which include Optocouplers........ When compared to a full chip example here
VCI C.PNG
VCI D.PNG
...and again on the other board - missing components......as compared to a full chip kit.
VCI E.PNG
Further on some lesser units, there is a resistor missing arrowed that relates to CAN communication....
Ok, the VIN should be detected - but the DAM number will have to be entered manually - that is normal for both Lexia and PP2000. If it's not picking up the VIN then it's not right. Check that PP2000 is not already launched and hidden on the taskbat - sometimes the interface can obscure PP2000 and you are unaware it has launched but is hidden under the other window - so launching it again causes a problem.

Marc
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

That's all pretty clear Marc, thank you. Am I better served uninstalling my current 7.83 version and starting again with 7.02 (to 7.58) or can I re-run the 7.56-7.58 upgrade to "downgrade" from 7.83? I think you've answered this already with your 4a) above but just would like confirmation.

The unit is in fact a clone. Pfft.

The VIN is picked up only after selecting 206+. Is this correct for 2002/2005 models? I will check for PP2000 loading as you suggest.

If this works out, I'll be delighted. If it's not going to be 100%, I'll consider replacing the Lexia with a full chip version.

I appreciate your time & input.

Dougie.
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

I also have files from a second CD I got with the kit. I can't see that PP2000 is actually installed anywhere. C:\AWROOT contains DiagBox but C:\APPLIC is created but empty?

Dougie.
d.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First I would downgrade to the earliest version you have above the main installation of 7.02.

Next, ignore the files and folders on the CD. The installation of Diagbox actually installs both Lexia and PP2000 as part of the package. These are encapsulated software stored and launched automatically depending on the vehicle being diagnosed.

Normal practice is to select he Marque first, then select the model. Then it will ask you to connect the VCI and should then detect the VIN. It will ask you to confirm the VIN. For cars circa 2007 and earlier it will ask you to launch ‘scantool’ or PP2000. If you select PP2000 this is where it can become hidden underneath the main Diagbox window, so do check the taskbar. Then it should ask for the RPO or DAM (build number).

Marc
goltho
Peugeot 206 HDi 2005

Post by goltho »

Soooo.... I was unsuccessful in directly downgrading DiagBox so uninstalled it completely including thoroughly checking and cleaning out the Registry. It took two attempts as the first one failed to complete but second time, PP2000 and Lexia also installed correctly. Now I know for sure that PP2000 has been missing on the laptop from when I bought the kit (which may account for it not loading... :roll: ). I also did the lowest-level upgrade from 7.01 to 7.57.

Tried it today, and voila! Proper connection and functioning by PP2000 on all ECUs. =D> So I am of course more than grateful for your time and help on this Marc.

The MIL came on a few days ago and the pics show issues with the engine ECU. I also get the 3-beep warning now even after clearing the codes. The pics below show the faults, the main one appearing to be the pre/post heating relay circuit which shows the further message when selected. The fan does seem to work on slow speed. Any ideas?

Dougie.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Glad you are up and running now :-D

The first fault re the glow plugs is extremely common on HDIs - normally it gives a message about plugs never been supplied which most generally ignore!

Best make a note, read and clear the faults and then re-run a Global Test to eliminate any historic faults. You can then expand these and deal with them individually.

Marc