Replicate OEM radio buttons from diagbox (missing MODE key)

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elpaquito
My Cars: Citroën DS3

Replicate OEM radio buttons from diagbox (missing MODE key)

Post by elpaquito »

Hello everybody,

Let me to introduce you an issue that it's bothering me since some weeks ago.

I've recently removed the OEM RD45 headunit from my DS3, and replaced it with an aftermarket 2din headunit (+ Connects2 interface so I could retain steering wheel controls).

The external interface let me not only to use the steering wheel controls to interact with the new headunit (volume, mute, track up and down...) but also to use the different menus on the OEM on board display.

There is a missing key from the OEM RD45 headunit I removed, the MODE key, which I can't replicate from the new steering wheel interface. Without this key I can't choose the default menu on the car's display. I selected the menu with fuel consumption and trip info as the main one before removing the OEM headunit, but every time I launch a diagnostics session using Diagbox, the display goes back to the default screen (only time and date). Without that MODE button, I can only check the fuel and trip info by cycling through the different screens, but after some seconds, it goes back to only date and time.

So my question is: is there any way to emulate, using Diagbox, that MODE button I used to have in the OEM radio, so that I won't need to reconnect the RD45 to change the default menu on the EMF display after every Diagbox use? Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance for you support!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Replicate OEM radio buttons from diagbox (missing MODE key)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Simply - No.

The RD45 is not just a radio - the head unit interfaces with the vehicle's other systems and without it you will not be able to activate / deactivate some of the functions controlled by the unit. That's the choice you have to make - retain OEM controls or not. Ther eis nothing you can do in Diagbox to alter the button functionality of reprogramme any of the buttons I'm afraid.

It's why many members if they want to upgrade, generally upgrade ot a compatible PSA system for this very reason.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elpaquito
My Cars: Citroën DS3

Post by elpaquito »

Thanks for your quick answer. In fact I saved main functionality using that external interface, only secondary buttons are missing (mode and dark, if I remember well...).

I was just wondering if I would be able to replicate the orders from the missing RD45 headunit using actuator tests in Diagbox or something similar. I guess actuator tests are just for the opposite function, checking if a real button works properly, so I understand that this is not possible.

Little offtopic (not diagbox related). Would something like this work? Would it be possible to attach this kind of panel in parallel to my current set up? They were used in old PSA cars to control the car's display.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No - will not interface with the electronic architecture - different BSI too. As you mentioned - actuator tests are just tests of the controls / functions / button, but cannot programme their functions.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc