Lexia unable to communicate with ECUs

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Lexia unable to communicate with ECUs

Post by sonoramicommando »

Carrying on from here:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 00#p570062
So basically it does not communicates with any control units other than injection and suspension. (The car is 2006 C6). Tried pretty much everything. The thing is it worked before a service visit to a (useless) dealer. Now it doesn't.
The following is what PSA interface checker says:
The only possibility I can think of 1) either the car side of the interface is buggered or 2) a part of the VCI was damaged at some time.
I bought the tool from easydiagnostics, which I was led to believe the best quality around - and wasn't cheap at all.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Lexia unable to communicate with ECUs

Post by KennyW »

Contact Jim @ easydiagnostics for help via their website. He will be able to assist

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Before you do call, on the interface checker screen go into the "select file" menu and select an earlier version of the firmware (I generally click on the first one suffixed by 'DB' but I think any should do), then click on "downloading" and you should get the message next to it "Telechargement OK" that tells you it's worked. (be careful if you're anywhere near dyslexic because if it doesn't work it says "Telechargement KO" so very similar!)

Then when you've downgraded the firmware & confirmed that it has worked by clicking "Version" and reading off the version number, start diagbox and it should spend a good few seconds updating the firmware to what it wants to see for the version of DB you're running.

Not sure why, but my non-easy clone seems to like having it's firmware gone over like that every now and then. Otherwise failing that, just call Jim as mentioned. The whole point of buying from them IMO is the technical support and aftersales, if I didn't have as much patience to faff with computers till something works then I would've spent the extra too!
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That firmware looks like an earlier one, so pre Diagbox V7!

Now for your C6, it should be using Lexia, so you might want to consider upgrading to V7.58, which will update your firmware to Version 4.3.2. It should also ensure that the encapsulated Lexia software is also updated to a later version, V48 at least.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
sonoramicommando

KennyW wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:45 Contact Jim @ easydiagnostics for help via their website. He will be able to assist

Kenny

Unfortunately I opened VCI to check for any defects so probably I won't get much assistance there.
ekjdm14 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 22:32 Before you do call, on the interface checker screen go into the "select file" menu and select an earlier version of the firmware (I generally click on the first one suffixed by 'DB' but I think any should do), then click on "downloading" and you should get the message next to it "Telechargement OK" that tells you it's worked. (be careful if you're anywhere near dyslexic because if it doesn't work it says "Telechargement KO" so very similar!)

Then when you've downgraded the firmware & confirmed that it has worked by clicking "Version" and reading off the version number, start diagbox and it should spend a good few seconds updating the firmware to what it wants to see for the version of DB you're running...

So you are saying I downgrade the firmware then upgrade it again?
GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 00:52 That firmware looks like an earlier one, so pre Diagbox V7!

Now for your C6, it should be using Lexia, so you might want to consider upgrading to V7.58, which will update your firmware to Version 4.3.2. It should also ensure that the encapsulated Lexia software is also updated to a later version, V48 at least.

What do I do if I want to use the standalone version of Lexia (i.e. the version of Lexia that is not launched from DB)? I have a copy of 3.45.
I find DB to be very slow on my laptop and quite often it hangs when I shut it off as well.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so your hardware looks fine and that Lexia version was to about 2011 IIRC, so I suspect, though this is a guess, that when you took it to the dealer, they may have updated the ABS / ESP ECU. Sometimes the server may detect that an update is needed to various ECUs and as a result, your interface software - Lexia in your case or the firmware may not be able to communicate with it.

That is one of the reasons why I suggested an update (assuming you had Diagbox installed) so that the software or the firmware may recognise the updated ECU.

The only way you will know is to find somebody with Diagbox V7.** and try to see if it will talk to the ABS ESP ECU on your C6 with that. If it does, then you will know there is an issue with wither your VCI, the firmware or the version of Lexia you have.

Marc
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

sonoramicommando wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 00:41So you are saying I downgrade the firmware then upgrade it again?

Pretty much yes, downgrade it manually through interface checker and then let DB/Lexia launcher update it to the version it "likes" when you start the app.

I'd have thought it eminently possible though that you may need to run a later version, given what Marc said about the dealer update. I had no idea that a software update to a car from year "X" could make it speak the "language" of year "Y" or "Z" though, I always thought a car from a certain year would always talk to the version of DB it always had done :?

I suppose that's one of the benefits of the dealer's official DB/Lexia setup though, they always have the latest version and don't have to worry about backwards compatibility of any updates to older cars since their version will cover everything.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Each update of Diagbox contains all the bug fixes and issues (including those caused by earlier updates in many cases) as well as the new ECUs and of course any software updates to account for the updates that may be done at a dealer via the server - PSA always have live access to the servers - it is a requirement now, so that they have the latest fixes and patches to be applied.

It is possible that either the ABS ESP ECU has been updated and the 'Stand Alone' Lexia can no longer communicate with it as it does not have the correct data file contained in the old software on the laptop - or coincidentally, the OP's VCI has developed a fault since the vehicle went into the dealer.

@ ekjdm14: Like anything software related, it can often be years after a car has been released in the 'real world' before issues can arise. They have specific diagnostic report methods to feedback problems picked up from both the customer and the techs - and once they build up a picture from their dealer networks around the world - this can result in a manufacturer software update - many years later to fix an issue - that may only apply to a certain model. I had to have my BSI updated as a result of some issues and missing options a few years back, directly from the PSA server - then my own kit was able to configure some settings that were previously not there.

There are a few examples here before I stopped at V8.16 :-D
Diagbox Change Logs

Marc
sonoramicommando

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 09:09 Ok, so your hardware looks fine and that Lexia version was to about 2011 IIRC, so I suspect, though this is a guess, that when you took it to the dealer, they may have updated the ABS / ESP ECU. Sometimes the server may detect that an update is needed to various ECUs and as a result, your interface software - Lexia in your case or the firmware may not be able to communicate with it.

That is one of the reasons why I suggested an update (assuming you had Diagbox installed) so that the software or the firmware may recognise the updated ECU.

The only way you will know is to find somebody with Diagbox V7.** and try to see if it will talk to the ABS ESP ECU on your C6 with that. If it does, then you will know there is an issue with wither your VCI, the firmware or the version of Lexia you have.

So do you think I should update the DB to the latest version (I'm not sure what that is - is there a website I can download the latest version? - for free of course ;)) and let it update VCI firmware while at it?
I tell you, going to that dealer for the service was the worst thing I've done while I had the C6 - should have stuck with the devil I know... #-o
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Absolutely not for the C6. I suggest you stick to 7.58.

So do you actually have any version of Diagbox software? I can help you with version 7 and the updates if you require. Let me know and I’ll send you a private message with details.

Please let me know what laptop spec you have and what operating system you are running, along with memory. I’m assuming you have a 32 bit OS as you are running Lexia, otherwise it wouldn’t work.

Marc
sonoramicommando

I have gone up to 7.57(?). also tried 7.02 as well. neither worked.
I'll check for the exact laptop specs - OS-wise it's WinXP 32 bit.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Even 7.57 should be fine for the purposes of testing. Can you confirm that you are successfully performing a Global Test, and that there is communication with all the ECUs apart from the ABS ECU? And can you also confirm whether you have an ABS warning ligh on the dash?

Marc
sonoramicommando

Regardless of Lexia/DB versions I tried (Lexia 3.45 & DB 7.02 and DB 7.57), the only thing common is that there is no dialogue to ECUs other than injection and suspension when global test is performed.
I don't have an ASB warning light but did come on once, which disappeared after re-starting. I don't know if it's related to anything, I put it down to random fault code Citroens throws out in general.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

ok the OS is Win XP professional Version 2002 SP 3.
Laptop spec is Intel Pentium M processor 1.86GHz, 2.00GB RAM.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

The last one for the evening:
How do I uninstall standalone pre-DB Lexia? there doesn't seem to be an uninstaller and DBcleaner/uninstaller doesn't detect the existence of Lexia (I guess because DB uninstaller uninstalls DB/Lexia as a whole package?)
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)