Crank No Start No Spark, fuel at fuel rail

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Crank No Start No Spark, fuel at fuel rail

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Hiccup with my bargain basement Clio.
In short. Ran fine,drove fine, started fine first turn.

Then. Failed to start on first turn, subsequent to this failed to start on several attempts.
Then1 at the point of giving up, it started drove 30 odd mile home everything hunky dory!

Now wont start again. Immobiliser sequence with the key textbook red light off as it should be.

Symptoms Cranks fine, No spark at plugs, Fuel engine end at fuel rail, fuel pump at tank activates. Cleaned and put the Crank Position Sensor back . No start.
Diconnected battery leaving it overnight.

Read many threads, not very hopeful of reviving it right now. All suggestions welcome and much appreciated

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Crank No Start No Spark, fuel at fuel rail

Well been on an internet search. Gong to park this thread here because if may be relevant to my situation.

https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread. ... ts-to-coil

The eventual problem solver
RESOLVED...
Thanks everyone - it turned out to be a thin green wire in the loom that runs to the fuse box, a break in it where it is in a big bundle running along just above the gearbox to the front of the car. When I joggled it about there was a clicking from the relay which is housed under the plastic cover for the fuses (along with the other 2 identical relays).
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You could do with some live data really - most likely the ECU is not seeing it cranking so is not sparking or fuelling. Could be the crank sensor, or the wiring as above....
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

RichardW wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 22:19 You could do with some live data really - most likely the ECU is not seeing it cranking so is not sparking or fuelling. Could be the crank sensor, or the wiring as above....
Thanks Richard. Its so disappointing at the moment. The car really is in excellent condition, and I am still hoping to enjoy a decent number of miles in it. If it gets fixed it will have to be fixed right where it is now. I will not be trailering it to a Renault Dealer for them to come up with some BS like "your ECU is "fried""

One other sympton which may be revealing..............on the drive home on Sunday the rev counter wasn't working at all although the engine/car was driving perfectly.

When I stopped the car at home I switched off, then tried a couple of restarts......started first turn of the key every time, and also the rev counter started working again on the first restart.

Anyone know where the rev counter takes its "feed" from? Might point us in the right direction for an initial look.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

dumping this little comment in from the cliosport forum....may be relevant

well the tdc sensor is where you get your rpm signal from mate its a hall effect switch type iirc which means it onlys use's two wire's, u'l have a supply voltage on the one wire of around 5v and the other wire carrys the voltage generated by the coil windings inside the sensor when the flywheel pass's over the sensor tip. it works as simple as that, if the voltage genrated by the sensor isnt surficiant then the engine will cut out. does it happen more when the car is hot?
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its going again!

Replaced the Crank Position Sensor and hey presto it fired up first time. I of course wouldn't have been able to stand the disappointment of replacing it and it still not starting so I left the task of the first turnover to my glamourous assistant, while I stood at the open bonnet ready for a bit of wire wiggling.

Can't say if the sensor was the root cause of "crank, no start no spark" or whether it was some magical touch on the ignition key but it started and runs fine. No there is no way I am going to damage the euphoria of this moment by attempting to restart it now that I have switched it off. I am going to bathe in 24hrs at least of victory and glory and stick two fingers up at "modern electrics" "fried ecu's" and other such B****cks, before sods law has a chance to bring me back down again!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey