Renault Scenic II 2.016V '04 CamShaft Position Sensor Fault?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kentc5
My Cars:

Renault Scenic II 2.016V '04 CamShaft Position Sensor Fault?

Post by kentc5 »

Hello guys,

I plugged in my OBD today to check why is the Check Engine Sign comes up on the dash.
Check Emissions as well.

Car is running lumpy, like misfiring at idle... and sounds rought.

The OBDII came back as CamShaft position sensor fault.

Also I seen the one of the Oxygen Sensors were all over the place with values from 0.2V to 1V ... is this affected by the CrankShaft Sensor?

Also the fan seems to be working a lot .... at full speed? ... is this related? (3 out of 5 times I start the car... when it is cold.)
When I got the car the expansion coolant tank was empty... I filled it up with coolant and water took about 3lts. I did about 60miles since then and hasn't lost any.... I suppose maybe the previous owner neglected?...
Temperature Gauge is working OK though ... 2-3 lines while I was crusing on motorway, 3-4 while in traffic.

Here are some screen shots of my OBDII reader and the fault codes I just managed to move back the armrest and did the scans

Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Re: Renault Scenic II 2.016V '04 CamShaft Position Sensor Fa

Post by steelcityuk »

The fans running at full speed for no apparent reason can be due to a water damaged UPC. I'd be tempted to take it out and check it over.

Steve.
not applicable
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

steelcityuk wrote:The fans running at full speed for no apparent reason can be due to a water damaged UPC. I'd be tempted to take it out and check it over.

Steve.
Today when I started the car a couple of times... the fan did not come on ... and the car works a bit better. Still smokey though and misfiring lumpy...
I booked it to a garage so they can assess better tomorrow.

I have that Camshaft Error code on the OBDII reader...
Then I have the crazy O2 Lampda Sensor readings...
The fan doing this crazy thing ... although now s working fine...
And this morning I could hear on the intake, like breathing sounds ... but that might be the O2 giving incorrect details and the MAF opening the intake to get more air in?

I am surprised the car still runs when not in idle lol
Current Cars:
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

A 2.0 16v Scénic. Lovely :)

It's a gem of an engine when it works nicely. Camshaft sensors are a common failure, as is the coolant temperature sensor which could explain the cooling fan behaviour. I've had to replace both on my Mégane with the same engine.
French is best.
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

Well I managed to get under the car today ....
I cannot find the front O2 Lambda Sensor ... at all :( but according to the readings it does exist...
I read online if the O2 sensor give minimum below 0.200V and Maximum above 0.800V then it is a good one.
So the front is doing exactly what is expected...
The rear one ... mmm seems dead??? reads all the time 0.460V if you see in my graphs above. So that suggests this is dead and I need to replace it? Or does the rear (after the cat) doen't come in life after certain time?
Current Cars:
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The upstream Lambda sensor is at the back of the engine, but accessed from under the bonnet, this is nigh on impossible to access.If all is working correctly, then the second lambda will do very little, as it should be reading clean air.
I suspect your cam sensor is broken, as this is common. OBD readers are not great on Renaults though, there are often other codes present that you will not see.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

Well apparently that engine does not have a camshaft sensor ... so this error message can e anywhere on the ignition system :( ...
The Lambda;s are working ok .... so.

Took it to the garage yesterday... and eeehhhmm not so good news.

First thing they did is to replace the spark plugs, starting with the first one ... the one next to the oil cap ...came out OK and replaced, 2nd too and 3rd too ...
However the 4th (one next to the battery) ... socket would not go in properly ... and the ignition coil had rust signs all around. (this ignition coil is white top ... I think it is an aftermarket unit). Mechanic thought a rubber from a socket was left in there from a previous repair?... after a closer look ... seems that the spark-plug is chemicaly sealed or some sort of thing... and it does not shift at all ... like welded.

So the option is to drill it out. Which would involve taking the head off, skim, new head-gasket. And take it from there.

I was planning to replace timing belt etc as the car has 73.000miles.

So that kind of makes to cost easier as this has to come out anyway to do the rest of the work.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?
Current Cars:
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well if you are paying a garage to take spark plugs out for ya..........this car is going to cost a few quid.

Head off and helicoil by the sound of it. That plug may have to be drilled out carefully and slowly. That will be fun if it has been Epoxied. It may just be threadlock though.

Are you gonna keep the car?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

I could not do detailed scanning with my pc so I gave it to my mate to scan and see what happens. He has way more spares that I do. Lol
Suggestion is to remove head and then drill the plug out. Do headgasket and ssme time timing belt that is due anyway.

Yes I am planning to keep the car. It has cost me already 750 so I have room to spend some money and still be within profit let's say:)
Current Cars: