Renault Clio fog light indicator comes on when braking

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Renault Clio fog light indicator comes on when braking

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Renault Clio fog light indicator comes on when braking is a common problem. Solutions on the internet forums, work for some, but for others the problem persists, and many threads in the more challenging cases peter out without resolution.

My daughters 54 reg Clio 1.2 started off with this problem, which has subsequently developed into the rear light/dash indicators haywire when the brake pedal is pressed.

I am going to start off with a methodical investigation, hopefully leading to a solution, and this video on youtube looks a good place to start

If any forum members have had/resolved this problem post up your experience here

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 23 Jul 2014, 15:57, edited 3 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Clio-fog light indicator on when braking

Followed the process on the video.

Took out the bulbholders and removed the connectors.-No fog light indicator illuminating on the dash when pressing brake pedal.

Connected up left hand bulb holder only-fog light indicator on dash on when pressing brake pedal.
Connected right hand bulb holder only-fog light indicator illuminated on dash when pressing brake pedal

Removed all bulbs from bulbholders-no fog light indicator illuminated on dash when pressing brake pedal

Replaced the bulbs from the top down testing for the fog light indicator on dash illuninating when pressing brake pedal,
No fog light indicator illuminating with the three bulbs from the top down at each side installed.

Fitted left hand double-filament bulb-brief initial flash of fog light indicator when pressing brake pedal,
Fitted right hand double-filament bulb-bright fog light indicator illumination when pressing brake pedal.

Swopped double-filament bottom bulbs around-the original right hand one causing the bright illumination of the fog light indicator on the dash when pressing brake pedal,

Probably unsurprisingly, the problem looks to lie with the double filament bulb, the contacts on the bulb holder, or the wiring/connections to the bulbholder for supply/earthing of this bulb.

The bulbs themselves look intact, but new ones will be installed before further investigation.

Please chip in if you have experience/solutions to this problem.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Clio-fog light indicator on when braking

New stop/tail bulbs bought and installed each side. Fog light indicator on dash still illuminating when brake pedal pressed.

In addition there was still the haywire behaviour of the lights, indicator bulbs illuminating both sides when right turn or left turn was selected at the stalk, as well as stop tail light illuminating at the same time.

Out came the multimeter to test continuity of the earth. Both Earth points, one each side were in good condition with zero corrosion and each showed continuity with the car bodywork when tested back to the tailgate catch.

Only one simple solution left to test-the effectiveness of the connection between the bulb holder, and the connector block. The black wire on each of the connectors is the earth contact, and these showed good continuity (from connector to earth point). To ensure a good tight contact between the "female" earth in the connector block, and the "prong" from the bulb holder, I prised up the female connector in the connector block with a small file. Repeated at the other side.

Hey presto........no fog light indicator illuminating on the dash......rear lights working as they should.

So if your rear lights seem to have developed a life of their own, it is most likely to be a poor earth connection at the rear lights.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey