C5 VTR satnav gps problem?

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

cazshie
My Cars: Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2009
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

C5 VTR satnav gps problem?

Post by cazshie »

Hi all, hope someone can offer some advice.

My satnav (MyWay) has lost my position, and has me sitting in Europe somewhere. Had the car for 7 years and it's never done it before.

I've searched the forum for a similar issue but not really found an answer.

I have done a ..
1. Factory Reset
2. Firmware upgrade
.. but still not resolved it.

I saw on another forum something about arial issue, but there wasn't a definitive solution.

Can anyone point me in the direction of further fixes to try?

I have a 2009 C5 VTR+ Tourer

Thanks.

Steven.
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 VTR satnav gps problem?

Post by Paul-R »

Could really only be one of two things. The aerial/amplifier unit or the radio headend.

The satnav (e-MyWay) on my X7 went wrong a couple of years ago. I had previously had the aerial/amp replaced on another matter and then the satnav suddenly reported that it couldn't see any satellites (does yours?) and had me driving through the Irish Sea! Fortunately the radio was scheduled to be replaced on another matter under warranty anyway and that fixed the problem. I would guess that the radio would probably cost about £800 - £1000 so I hope it doesn't go wrong again.

The aerial/amp has a 12v supply. This may have gone wrong (blown fuse? broken wire?) but it won't be easy to check as you will have to carefully move the roof lining away to get to the unit.

If the aerial/amp unit itself needs replacing then there are many different types and your VIN would be needed to identify the correct one.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Steven - the GPS aerial is routed to the stubby roof aerial (which you should have) - water can get into the base unit and upset things. It might be worth taking the unit out carefully and checking the GPS connection at the back (you'll need the blade style keys to remove the unit).

Always disconnect the large Quadlock connector first before any of the other connections (especially the screen connector) and then do the reverse when re-connecting as the Quadlock contains the power and should always be removed first.

The GPS will be the Blue connector as shown below. If you have access to another GPS type aerial you can always connect that up and test it - or simply buy an aftermarket GPS aerial with receiver and just tuck the receiver away.
RNEG.PNG
DIN Romoval Keys.png
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 May 2018, 18:34 Hi Steven - the GPS aerial is routed to the stubby roof aerial (which you should have) - water can get into the base unit and upset things.

The GPS will be the Blue connector as shown below. If you have access to another GPS type aerial you can always connect that up and test it - or simply buy an aftermarket GPS aerial with receiver and just tuck the receiver away.
RNEG.PNGDIN Romoval Keys.png

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the aerial and the rubber around it does look quite weather worn. I assume that I can purchase a replacement from somewhere and do a straight swap? (I had a look under roof and could see the bolt it is held on with, and 2 wires coming into the car?)

Where can I pick up the removal keys?
Last edited by cazshie on 30 May 2018, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

Paul-R wrote: 30 May 2018, 18:14 Could really only be one of two things. The aerial/amplifier unit or the radio headend.

The satnav (e-MyWay) on my X7 went wrong a couple of years ago. I had previously had the aerial/amp replaced on another matter and then the satnav suddenly reported that it couldn't see any satellites (does yours?) and had me driving through the Irish Sea!

The aerial/amp has a 12v supply. This may have gone wrong (blown fuse? broken wire?) but it won't be easy to check as you will have to carefully move the roof lining away to get to the unit.

If the aerial/amp unit itself needs replacing then there are many different types and your VIN would be needed to identify the correct one.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my sat nav has me positioned in the North Sea.

The radio still works okay, not sure if that is relevant in tracing the fault?

I had a look under the roof lining and could see the bolt holding the aerial on (with 2 wires coming from base unit into the car?). Shouldn't be too difficult to get it off and replace it, but what do I replace it with? Saw on another forum someone talking about a non-Citroen replacement?
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The only reason I suggested third party GPS receiver that you just plug into the back of the head unit in place of the blue connector is that the roof aerial can be fiddly to do, not least because of having to remove part of the headlining to get access. This can be a bit tricky and will need some new tape most likely to stick it back up. You’ll also need some mastic to reseal the new aerial base once fixed.

This is assuming that the issue is in the base unit of course. It is possible that the GPS wiring has an issue somewhere between the back of the head uniy to the base.

If you want the part number for the aerial base though, you’ll need to post or PM your VIN.

Marc
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 May 2018, 20:48 The only reason I suggested third party GPS receiver that you just plug into the back of the head unit in place of the blue connector is that the roof aerial can be fiddly to do, not least because of having to remove part of the headlining to get access. This can be a bit tricky and will need some new tape most likely to stick it back up. You’ll also need some mastic to reseal the new aerial base once fixed.

This is assuming that the issue is in the base unit of course. It is possible that the GPS wiring has an issue somewhere between the back of the head uniy to the base.

If you want the part number for the aerial base though, you’ll need to post or PM your VIN.

Fair point about trying easy option first. I guess I was a bit more worried about removing front unit (don't have blade keys) than peeling back the lining.

I've messaged you my VIN. :wink:
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

cazshie wrote: 30 May 2018, 20:38The radio still works okay, not sure if that is relevant in tracing the fault?
On my car the radio was working as well as it ever did when the satnav failed. However as I have always thought that the FM reception is not very good (and still unimproved with the new radio) that's not saying very much.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Probably because of those separately mounted aerials to the windows. My FM reception is better in the C3 than the X7 Paul, despite the nearly £2k telematics system!

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, I have severe doubts about them myself. But as they're printed onto the glass there's not much room for improvement!

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

cazshie wrote: 30 May 2018, 21:20
GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 May 2018, 20:48 The only reason I suggested third party GPS receiver that you just plug into the back of the head unit in place of the blue connector is that the roof aerial can be fiddly to do, not least because of having to remove part of the headlining to get access. This can be a bit tricky and will need some new tape most likely to stick it back up. You’ll also need some mastic to reseal the new aerial base once fixed.

Fair point about trying easy option first. I guess I was a bit more worried about removing front unit (don't have blade keys) than peeling back the lining.

I've messaged you my VIN. :wink:

No VIN in your message, I think you forgot! :-D But the radio removal keys are quite cheap and are pretty generic, here’s a link for you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-For-For ... SwnoVa2GQs

Marc
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 May 2018, 21:38
No VIN in your message, I think you forgot! :-D But the radio removal keys are quite cheap and are pretty generic, here’s a link for you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-For-For ... SwnoVa2GQs

Thanks Marc, keys ordered.

I've sent you the VIN again, not sure what happened to the other message I sent.

As I mentioned in my PM, you any knowledge of non-Citroen aerial units?

https://www.2j-antennae.com/products/an ... j850bg/482
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 May 2018, 18:34 If you have access to another GPS type aerial you can always connect that up and test it - or simply buy an aftermarket GPS aerial with receiver and just tuck the receiver away.
RNEG.PNGDIN Romoval Keys.png

What should I be looking for in an aftermarket GPS aerial? (Google threw up a raft of options)

I think what you're suggesting is that I just need a GPS aerial for blue connector, and FM will still be channelled through the existing aerial (as it is still working)?
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that is correct - however if you have already tried that with the first one you got with no success then the problem may well be with the unit itself. The FM aerials are in the adapter part 10 in the diagram I showed you and are not affected.

Marc
cazshie
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI 2015

Post by cazshie »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 21:40 Yes that is correct - however if you have already tried that with the first one you got with no success then the problem may well be with the unit itself. The FM aerials are in the adapter part 10 in the diagram I showed you and are not affected.

I've not tried a gps antenna yet.
Blade keys just arrived today so managed to check connections at back (Fakra?) before going online for antenna.

Any recommendations as to the type?
Amazon had quite a few standard looking ones around £5-£10.
Citroen C5 VTR+ HDI