citroen dispatch sat nav

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

rugbyfisher
My Cars: citroen dispatch 2014

citroen dispatch sat nav

Post by rugbyfisher »

Hi guys
A little problem with my sat nav on a 2014 Citroen Dispatch van. I put in a replacement but I now have no power to the sat nav unit I can only believe that the fuse has blown. Any ideas as to the fuse location and its number.

thanks in anticipation
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 30 Sep 2017, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the Telematics Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: citroen dispatch sat nav

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

First of all is this an exact direct replacement of the same unit?
Second did you VIN code the new unit to the vehicle? If not the unit will not work. I'd check that first before you do anything else.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
rugbyfisher

Post by rugbyfisher »

Hi Marc,
Its an upgrade following a failure with the one installed.
No I haven't vin coded. The new unit fires up but closes down shortly after. I have checked the feed wire and it has no power. I have checked the 5, 10 and 15 amp fuses and they are all fine

Graham
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Graham, the unit needs to be VIN coded to the vehicle or they won't work. When you say it is an upgrade - I really need you to be clear on this as it makes a big difference. Have you replaced the Head Unit with a completely different system, or have you replaced it with an exact same Head Unit?

The BSI (the main computer that controls all the other ECUs in the van) will prevent the unit from working if it does not recognise it. I wouldn't worry at this point about power and other feeds, as the BSI controls all of this and will prevent operation of the unit if it is not coded using a Lexia.

Can you pop up your VIN, so I can try and determine exactly what you have - this might help.

Marc
rugbyfisher

Post by rugbyfisher »

Thanks for your response Marc. The van came with traffic master satnav installed, following some problems they replaced with an upgraded version which had different connections. vin number UF7XUAHZ8EZ057912
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so now I think I understand a little better :-D

So you have the RD45 MP3 Unit with USB and Bluetooth and should also have a hands free telephone unit fitted as below:

So you should have parts 1 (RD45), 10 (Telephone Mic), 25 (Tel Interface Unit), 26 (USB Support) & 27 (USB Socket Harness) when it left the factory.
Graham.PNG
So the issue is not with your Audio Head Unit system - if I understand correctly, but an after-market Sat Nav unit that has been fitted and is now playing up? As the Traffic master unit is an after-market solution, I can't help you with the wiring as it's not a bespoke unit fitted at factory.

It is highly possible that whoever fitted it it has not understood the wiring system - there are supplies that appear permanent, but are actually managed by the BSI, so can be commanded to switch off. If it is wired to one of the circuits controlled by the BSI it can be subject to 'Economy Mode' where the BSI will switch off power after a given time to prevent the battery drain - and this time can be variable depending on battery status and length of time driven previously before the vehicle was stopped.

So without knowing where and to which circuit it has been connected to, I doubt I can really help any further Graham :cry:

Marc
rugbyfisher

Post by rugbyfisher »

hi mARC,
tHANK YOU FOR THAT EXPLANANTION. The vehicle has been run regularly and the new unit came with virtually the same fittings, a six click and fit block and a three wire click and fit block which was not compatible with existing. As I understand it the three wire incompatible connection blocks have merely been replaced to form a connection. Now I assumed that during that process a fuse must have shorted because there doesn't appear to be a feed to the unit.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The problem is Graham, is that the individual wires perform specific functions as you would expect, but if the wires are not exactly matched, one could accidentally connect a live wire to a data network wire - which may well blow a fuse or at worst, damage an ECU, including the BSI - and that is an expensive unit to replace, being the vehicles main 'brain'.

What really needed to happen first, was to understand the existing wiring connections (pin outs), as just because they are the same colour connectors, it doesn't mean the wires have the same functions. Then we would need to understand the pin outs of the replacement unit and try and find a compatible connection / wiring harness or modify the wiring to match.

As I said earlier, because we don't know what has been connected to what - it is hard to trace the correct fuse. This could be in the BSI, the under engine fuse box, or one or more in the passenger compartment. Your particular model is a 2015 and unfortunately, I don't have the wiring diagrams for this particular year.

Personally, Graham, I would get remove this unit and return it and get a refund if possible, citing incompatibility. If it's a Sat Nav you want, just get a Tom Tom or similar and stick it on the dash.

Marc
rugbyfisher

Post by rugbyfisher »

Thanks for your time and effort. Everything else still works perfectly the hands free, radio etc. so your advice is probably sound. Cheers

graham