C5 X7 Aux sockets?

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

C5 X7 Aux sockets?

Post by qprdude »

I'm computer literate in as much as I can build them, and install software and hardware if required, but for the life of me, I can't get to grips with MP3-4, Ipod and other audio stuff. My kids have speakers built into their houses that can be accessed by many sources from anywhere in the houses.

I am struggling to remember how to switch on the DAB radio in my house!
What I would dearly like to know is this. What are the three sockets(red white and yellow) in the glove compartment of my car actually for, and what can I do to utilise them?
My car has the 10Gb hard drive with "Juke-box" facility but I need to be able to use everything the car has, or I might as well be driving a base Fiesta.

Any of you young tech guys know the score with the glove-box sockets?
I have an MP3 player somewhere, a smart phone and a personal DAB radio but no idea if the car sockets are anything to do with the sound system. #-o
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 X7 Aux sockets?

Post by vborovic »

I can say for the RNEG system, which should be somewhat similar as your Navidrive 3D (if I recall correctly), in the glovebox, there are 2 inputs (stereo, L+R), you have to enable this as an input source first in the sound setup, then it will allow you to select it as the valid source, and you won't get anything on display, except AUX, or something similar (can't remember exactly), and it will play the audio from the source ... I went a step above, and installed the USB BOX, which is basically a digital CD changer, doesn't display the track names, but it works.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

What VB says...scroll through source button,if enabled AUX will be displayed.
My unit doesn't control the aux input
Mines got red/white only, yellow is usually added for video/display as per tv inputs.
Lead is 2 phono > device output connector , usually 3.5mm jack although ithingy's I have no desire to know about [-X
I use an old phone, also got small usb player, both need volume near Max and H/U volume cranked up.
I've quite often forgotten to turn devices off as I use a v short lead and close glove box... :roll:
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Mine has myway and I confirm the comments above that red and white act as audio input to aux socket, used occasionally when my son wants to play things from his ipod. No special functionality, it's just an audio input left and right, I use a phono to 3.5 stereo jack adapter. It mutes if you get an incoming phone call, and cuts over to traffic news if TA is set, but doesn't pause the ipod or anything like that, not that it matters. You could plug anything in, a portable DAB should work fine.

I think, but not sure, that if you have a yellow input socket alongside you can use a portable DVD player and get pictures on your screen, but surely it must lock out somehow if the car is moving to meet legal requirements.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

OK guys , so I select "Aux" then plug in the MP£ or DAB radio with a standard 3.5 jack?
The MP3 has a mini usb port and a socket for ear phones/buds. The USB cable is used to charge via a 13 amp wall socket.
The DAB radio has much the same, but a slightly different mini USB.
What cable or adaptor would I need.
I also have a Google nexus tablet with the same USB and headphone sockets. I could get very lost here with the yellow socket. Does it cover audio AND video, or do I need more cables/adaptors for video?
Am I right in thinking that I need a 3.5 jack to mini USB adaptor?
If that's correct, would I just plug the USB into the car socket via the adaptor? (told you I was bleedin useless at this audio stuff)

Edit. Or do I need a male/male 3.5 cable from the MP3 player headphone jack, to the car 3.5 socket.
With three sockets, am I correct in thinking the red and the white are for stereo sound?

I have a headache now. 8-[
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

You only need a 3.5mm jack > 2 x male phono for music.

Peanuts on Amazon.….http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... k+to+phono" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Right, so a male 3.5 into the MP3 and a male 3.5 into the red and the white car sockets?
Like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-3-5mm-Ja ... 0600769096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I select Configuration- "source", Aux input comes up with the option to disable it. The option shows only the red and the white sockets, so I presume the yellow video socket is disabled for legal purposes.
Wonder if it can be enabled, or is video illegal in all countries if it is visible to the driver?
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

yes, them's the puppies...short as possible if keeping in glovebox unless you can find a way out of 'box to where you'll keep player?
Yellow is normally video feed as you say so usually disabled whilst driving.

also in recent years, EU laws came in to limit the max volume of Music Players...Elf & Safety...mine i need to max out along with the car volume but at least it doesn't distort or damage existing system but still plenty loud enough
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

In the Navidrive RT3 in my C6, which is I think a generation older than the RT4 you have, there's no hard disk, and these connections are all that's available for iPods etcetera. I have a Bluetooth gadget attached to mine which my iphone transmits to. The volume level isn't great, however, as somebody already said: you need the source volume cranked up, and the overall sound quality is miles off the standard CD setup. Disappointing for me, as I store all my music digitally, and CDs are a faff.

The video input works fine with appropriate leads, but at least with my RT3, the screen quality is worse than anything I could plug into it, so I don't bother! I tried it once from an iPhone or something but never again..!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you find that it's all a bit quiet once you've got it connected up, you can buy small AAA battery powered line amplifiers for not much money such as a Fiio E3, but you'll also need another male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm extension lead. Don't expect fantastic sound quality though.

cheers
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers guys, I'll get 1 x 2 cable from maplins so I can take it back if it doesn't work.
Not sure about the video though as the yellow socked doesn't show up in configuration/Aux.
Maybe it could be enabled via Lexia?
Not sure how I would connect my tablet though, unless there is a mini USB to 3.5 male input jack on the market. Not much point though, as Android doesn't support Flash player so unless it's a youtube video, it wont play.
Rick.

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

bobins wrote:If you find that it's all a bit quiet once you've got it connected up, you can buy small AAA battery powered line amplifiers for not much money such as a Fiio E3, but you'll also need another male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm extension lead. Don't expect fantastic sound quality though.

cheers
I've actually done exactly that, I think it's an E6? It works fine, about doubling the source volume, and I'm happy enough with the sound quality. Problem is, it runs out of battery fast if you don't remember to turn it off and on when you get in/out the car, and if you leave it charging then it's just more- amplified- alternator drone. Also it's yet another volume control which defaults to middling. I ended up needing to fiddle with enough gadgets just to hear anything at all, especially if the phone rang, that I just gave up on it. I'm back to writing audio CDs for music I want to hear loud and populating the boot changer, the rest just "OK" through the aux sockets.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

For reference, usual list of possible units that can be fitted to the C5 X7 ... http://gpsunderground.com/forum/peugeot ... s-psa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... I think qpr has the NG4 unit (we've discussed that a while back) ... now, if I'm right, only this unit can have the video input in the glovebox (yellow color input), and usually it is know as RCA, 2 cables for the audio, one for the video ... most of the TV sets also have these as an input, they were usually for connecting directly to the video cameras (camcorders), before HDMI became accepted as the newer and simpler standard for both audio and video in a single cable ... I have a lot of different solutions at home, through adapters or cables, if I want to connect any audio device to the car AUX (only for testing purposes) ... a regular 3.5 headphone jack cable and goes into the cable-adapter that splits into RCA (only audio) for the car ... or similar possibilities ... now, there is one interesting feature that the NG4 has, and it is a DVD player (I've found somwehere that it even has a TV tuner, but still haven't confirmed that), meaning you can watch DVD movies (NG4 is paired to a higher quality screen compared to the RNEG/myWay or others) ... but, there is a catch, you can't watch any movies while driving (it is linked to the GPS signal and the odometer, and when the car starts moving, for safety reasons the video is unavailable) ... since I don't have access to a car that has the NG4, I'm just writing down what I've researched (trust me, I did my share of research ... :D ) ... there is a way to overcome this, like in the 2 link that follow:

http://www.navlinkz.de/en/Interfaces/In ... t-508.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.car-interface.com/vendita/en ... d-ng4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What this unit does, when you turn the switch on, it bypasses the GPS signal (can't go into technical details, didn't look into it that well), and it fools the navigation unit into thinking that the car is stopped when it is actually moving ... result: you can watch movies while driving ... the side effect is that while this is on, the GPS navigation can't be used (since it is "plugged out") ... consider this a food for thought ... :D ...

Apart from the USB BOX as mentioned before, the only solution that might have sense for people who would like to have MP3 inputs to the car radio, is to get a FM RDS MP3 radio transmitter ... basically, a unit that you configure to a custom radio frequency, and it will stream radio signal to your unit ... with the RDS data, meaning you could get the readout like usual when the radio stations show you the current playing song ... most of these are without the RDS, but there are some that actually have this feature ...

http://www.sencor.eu/mp3-wma-fm-transmi ... wm-170-rds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I've wrote enough for now, time for a little break ... :D
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

VB, I've got an even bigger headache now. :wink:
Yes, you are right about the nav unit I have. I don't think I'd try watching a video while driving, but I might eventually try to see if it works through the nav screen. Wonder if there is such a thing as a HDMI (from my laptop),to 3.5 video jack, or would I need a three way one for audio too.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I think the chinese have all the possible combinations covered ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-Gold-Plated ... 0866327450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... :D ... now, does it actually, work, beats me ... since there are hdmi to RCA converters, it's hard to think a simple wiring would give the same effect as the proxy unit, but, electronics are wonderful ... Also, there is hardly anything left that I haven't considered doing to my car (serial stuff only), so now you can feel a little bit like my self ... :D ... I'm currently thinking how to put the pavement lights in the rear doors ... :D ...