406 D9 : replacement of com2000 + mainlight sign flashing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toh
My Cars:

406 D9 : replacement of com2000 + mainlight sign flashing

Post by toh »

Hello friends.

I do the replacement of com2000 on my Peugeot 406 D9 V2 petro.
I have no idea if it is the correct part number or not because I got it by second hand.

After replacement, sometime, there is flashing of main light sign on the dash board (driving on the night time and light is in auto on mode).
If I do open of high light, fog light, tails light. It would turn off all, getting back to only main light.

The question is Comm2000 replacement requires software update or not.

Thank you for answers.
Toh
Last edited by myglaren on 18 Dec 2018, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
LOVE is All AROUND.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 406 D9 : replacement of com2000 + mainlight sign flashing

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You cannot just replace the comms unit with any one - you need the correct one or you will have problems.

Post up the VIN if you need to know the correct one.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

Thank you Marc,

Please, here is my code: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I did the replacement and paid. Is there a possibility to update? or fix.
LOVE is All AROUND.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, very sorry, but that VIN is returning 'unknown' and not returning ANY data either for the VIN or the VIS (last 8 digits), so I can't help without it. Can you double check the VIN in the bottom lower left outside corner of the windscreen, through the cut-out? It is possible that the system is being updated, and I will check again later, but if you can double check again that would also help.

Marc
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

I am sorry Marc for this late response.

Yeah !! It is the same thing. VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
LOVE is All AROUND.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, I've checked again and from what I can see the public / dealer Peugeot site is listing this VIN as unknown and not returning any data. I have fired off a question to PSA regarding this, but doubt I will hear back this side of Christmas.

Marc
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

Thank you very much Marc.
I hope that it is not because my car is here in Thailand.
Is there a way to make this work as a correct part number? i.e., update firmware or matches them together.

Merry christmas to you too.
LOVE is All AROUND.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's just that the electronic architecture of the vehicle is important to know what type of unit is compatible with the car. It has to talk to the BSI and other components, but there are a variety of multiplexed and CAN / VAN network combinations used depending on year and model etc. so the VIN would help us pull this correct replacement part up for this unit.

Are there any specific issues you are having that you suspect is the Comms Unit?

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

if you read the first post, I think that he has already fitted a replacement part, and this is when the symptoms started.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Got that Mike - that's why I wanted the VIN to ascertain whether the correct part was fitted as he said he got it second hand and has no idea if it is right.... But the VIN is not returning anything. If the wrong Comms unit is fitted then problems will inevitably follow.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So I've done a little more research and it is possible that this is a 'knock-down-kit' version of the car. Apparently the 406 was available as a kit, supplied in parts for re-assembly at an industrial plant or similar, specifically in the case of the 406 - Yontrakit Industrial Factory in Lad Krabang, Bangkok, Thailand.

If this is one of those cars, maybe that's the reason why the VIN is not being recognised.

Going back to the original issue, it is important to understand as much as possible about the car, so we can try and determine the correct module.

There were 2 types of electronic architectures on the 406 - with Multiplexing and without Multiplexing assemblies. This, and some of the options will determine which unit was fitted.

If you can answer some questions for me it might help:

1) From your original post, you say your Comms unit was replaced. What we need to know is which of the 2 types of unit you have, as they are visually different. Look carefully at the stalk controls and especially at the end of the wiper stalk - there are distinct differences between the 2 units. You may or may not have the additional stalks for Cruise control and the audio controls, but if you do this will make it easier to identify. But what is important first of all, is that the replacement Comms unit must be the same as the original one. Can you confirm that the replacement had identical stalks to the original, and which of the 2, 'A' or 'B' below do or did you have?
'A' With Multiplexing'B' Without Multiplexing
406 With Multiplexing.PNG
406 No Multiplexing.PNG
2) Does your 406 have ESP? I don't mean just ABS, but ESP too? If it does, there should be a button somewhere on the fascia or console that says ESP like this:
406 ESP.PNG
3) Do you have a Rear Screen Wash / Wiper?

If you can answer me these questions precisely, it may help me narrow down the choices of the 8 Comms Units.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The other possibility for this problem is the wiring harness connection from the Comms unit to the inside of the lighting stalk. It can become separated or loose. Also the contacts from the stalk units can become dirty causing loss of or intermittent contact. There are various videos on cleaning these up, but be extremely careful of the airbag connectors and the clockspring.

If this was already a used unit when you replaced it, then it could also have just worn out. If you are considering replacing the unit again, try and check for numbers on the old unit that begin 96 and may be a 10 alphanumeric sequence. That should provide the part number that you can look up for a replacement.

Marc
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 09:10 So I've done a little more research and it is possible that this is a 'knock-down-kit' version of the car. Apparently the 406 was available as a kit, supplied in parts for re-assembly at an industrial plant or similar, specifically in the case of the 406 - Yontrakit Industrial Factory in Lad Krabang, Bangkok, Thailand.

If this is one of those cars, maybe that's the reason why the VIN is not being recognised.

Going back to the original issue, it is important to understand as much as possible about the car, so we can try and determine the correct module.

There were 2 types of electronic architectures on the 406 - with Multiplexing and without Multiplexing assemblies. This, and some of the options will determine which unit was fitted.

If you can answer some questions for me it might help:

1) From your original post, you say your Comms unit was replaced. What we need to know is which of the 2 types of unit you have, as they are visually different. Look carefully at the stalk controls and especially at the end of the wiper stalk - there are distinct differences between the 2 units. You may or may not have the additional stalks for Cruise control and the audio controls, but if you do this will make it easier to identify. But what is important first of all, is that the replacement Comms unit must be the same as the original one. Can you confirm that the replacement had identical stalks to the original, and which of the 2, 'A' or 'B' below do or did you have?
'A' With Multiplexing'B' Without Multiplexing
406 With Multiplexing.PNG406 No Multiplexing.PNG0
2) Does your 406 have ESP? I don't mean just ABS, but ESP too? If it does, there should be a button somewhere on the fascia or console that says ESP like this:

406 ESP.PNG

3) Do you have a Rear Screen Wash / Wiper?

If you can answer me these questions precisely, it may help me narrow down the choices of the 8 Comms Units.

Thank you very much Marc. As I know, I think your information are correct. They did the re-assembly process in Thailand and I think my car is one of those car from Yontrakit.

For the first question, I have model A with multiplexer. I have audio controller. I can do "Äuto light active/deactive" by pressing switch at the end of turn control stalk. I used to open the original one, there was a PCB board. The reason why I did the replacement because the horn didnt work. So, they offered me a used one.

Second, I have no ESP switch. I can not find any button with ESP as you show.

Third, there is no a rear wiper or rear screen wash. As I know, there is one model of 406 with rear wiper which is 406 D8. The one which is older than mine, 409 D9 V2.
LOVE is All AROUND.
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 09:44 The other possibility for this problem is the wiring harness connection from the Comms unit to the inside of the lighting stalk. It can become separated or loose. Also the contacts from the stalk units can become dirty causing loss of or intermittent contact. There are various videos on cleaning these up, but be extremely careful of the airbag connectors and the clockspring.

If this was already a used unit when you replaced it, then it could also have just worn out. If you are considering replacing the unit again, try and check for numbers on the old unit that begin 96 and may be a 10 alphanumeric sequence. That should provide the part number that you can look up for a replacement.

Actually, this Comm is the 3rd one of the replacement by the garage.
The original one of mine was broken by repairing of loosing at turn control stalk. The garage repaired loosing of turn light control stalk and I think they broke my horn (I think they broke a ribbon cable of horn connection). Then, they offered me the used Comm (but not free of charge). Then, the replacement came.

The first one , when the light was "turned on" at night time (in Automatic light mode). The main light sign flashed and reset hi beam or fog lamps. This happened frequently. Then, I requested the garage for the second replacement.

The second one, It was good. There was no flashing of main light sign at all but I can not Activate/Deactivate automatic light mode (There was no switch at the end of turn light control stalk).

Then, here is the third replacement. I will go and find the number and will update you again Marc.
Thank you.

Toh
LOVE is All AROUND.
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

Happy new year 2019 Marc,

Here are some codes at the original Com 2000.

Toh
Attachments
172284.jpg
172283.jpg
LOVE is All AROUND.