Help with a Peugeot expert part name please? Photo attached.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tmmv1
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Help with a Peugeot expert part name please? Photo attached.

Post by tmmv1 »

Hi
Can anyone please tell me what this part is called that is attached to my steering rack? and can it be bought separate from the rack? The problem i have is the steerig fluid is leaking out at the top of this part
Vehicle is an 07 (mk2) Peugeot expert van 2.0 hdi

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Help with a Peugeot expert part name please? Photo attached.

Post by spider »

Its counted as part of the rack as far as I can see so no spares are readily available , at least from what I can see. The other listings show the pipework / pump and the column etc. I see nothing else that lists the rack specifics unfortunately.

Having said that a bearing or hydraulics place would be able to supply a suitable seal. You (may) have to remove the rack for decent access. Here's a pic of what the dealer lists:

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I believe it's called a pinion seal, and as spider mentioned it's likely to be a case of getting a suitable seal from a hydraulics or bearing factors.

Having said that wouldn't you agree, spider, that the pinion valve assembly itself looks fairly recent (as in been replaced separately) compared to the rest of the gubbins under there?

Not familiar with the buildup of this but from the look of it in the photo I'd suggest the pinion valve ass'y could be removed from the rack separately (and fairly easily depending on tool access). If that's the case it'd be a lot easier to just take that off to get the size of the seal. I'd have to ask myself though, if it's been replaced recently and is leaking again, why is this.

Could there be a problem elsewhere in the system causing the new/recon item to fail (unlikely I'd have thought, more likely to suffer low pressure not high!) or is it more likely it was either a cheap repro or recon part/damaged during fitting?

Any further thoughts on this?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Also, just a quick ebay check shows pinion valve assemblies available for earlier partner vans so from the newer look of the item pictured I'd guess there must be at least some availability of the units separate from the rack http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XSARA ... iSrHe8Z9TQ
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
spider

Post by spider »

I did notice it looked 'clean' :) But I was not sure if it had been cleaned up prior to the pic (aersol can of brake cleaner etc) to determine where the leak is coming from. Having looked again, its a different shade so I suspect it may well of been replaced. I do not think access 'in situ' is good as there's a bolt or two at the back, not to mention possibly a shim or three or a spring under there I think. I do not think I've taken a rack apart actually.

If it was replaced then as you know the only likely cause of it to be damaged is the shaft itself is rough and 'tearing' (for want of a better word) the new seal ? Does that make sense ? :)

I don't think too higher a pressure would just blow that seal though, I'd expect the ram seal to also suffer as its subject to higher pressure there, unless there is some quirky internal fault in the rack itself.

If this was mine, I take the rack out and carefully remove the seal (couple of self tapping screws etc or suchlike or a seal 'hook' tool if possible) then take said seal and rack somewhere to obtain a seal, this way hopefully they'll measure it too, or measure with internal and external calliper to determine what is needed.

Having said that I bet some places will know exactly what seal is needed so there may not be a need to go this far as such.

A decent garage may be able to obtain and replace this seal however if you wanted a "clean hands" operation. Some may baulk at the idea of not fitting a complete rack but an 'old school' garage should have people who know what do to. Its actually very easy, the *problem* here is access, cleanliness and obtaining the correct seal itself.
Andy.

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Indeed, the only likely *credible* causes I can think of are as you said, worn/damaged pinion shaft (or possibly play in the bearing) or if someone damaged the seal somehow when they were fitting the valve (quite possible if access is tight. didn't look too bad at first glance but then again I am a bit of a contortionist with long slim fingers).

Just looking at the prices of replacement pin. valves, your course of action is probably the one I'd take. I've not had the misfortune to need to strip a rack myself either but there was a good article in a recent issue of Car Mechanics focussed on the subject of rack repairs/refurbs. Could have been the May or June issue IIRC. There are likely some shims between the valve and rack, yes, as long as they're not lost/damaged and are put back where they came from there should be no problem though (assuming correct reassembly prior to this leak, *IF* that valve is indeed a replacement.)
tmmv1
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Post by tmmv1 »

Thank you very much Spider and ekjdm14 for taking the time to reply and give so much detail on the issue i'm having i really appreciate it :) It looks clean as i have been cleaning it a few times a day for the last couple of days to confirm where i was loosing fluid. It does look like it is going to be a pain to remove but i guess it needs to be done. The main question is would it be better to fit a seal if one can be obtained or would it be better to fit a refurb rack seeing as the current rack is going to have to be removed to fix the seal?
spider

Post by spider »

Welcome. :) A seal will obviously be far cheaper but you'd have to think a bit about it as if its damaged shaft or suchlike then the new one may start to leak again...

I'd price a rack up though from a motor factors out of interest first anyway then investigate obtaining a seal...
Andy.

Boss hogg
My Cars: Peugeot expert mk3 2.0 hdi

Post by Boss hogg »

Mine has same problem,I thought it was coming from the two pipes so I took them out and replaced two of rings but it still seems to be losing fluid.